Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to stream movies or Netflix from my laptop to my TV.

Options
  • 02-07-2014 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, hope this is the right forum.

I ve just discovered the joys of Netflix on my laptop and want to be able to watch it on the TV without having to use wires.

What are my best options? I know very little about this sort of thing and would be grateful for any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dandyo

Owryan wrote: »
    Hey folks, hope this is the right forum.

I ve just discovered the joys of Netflix on my laptop and want to be able to watch it on the TV without having to use wires.

What are my best options? I know very little about this sort of thing and would be grateful for any suggestions.

You'll need a device connected to your TV to do this - something like Apple TV will do the trick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

Chromecast is 35 euro ish on amazon and also in Argos for around 40!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Look into a Google Chromecast I'd say. Would be cheaper than the Apple TV. If you have apple devices (phone/ipad) the Apple TV will offer better integration. But a Chromecast should do the job fine

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Cheers for the fast replies. Hadn't even heard of them before.

I assume they would be simple to set up? Oh and I assume it would be possible to say stream Netflix to the TV while doing college stuff on the laptop? is I can still use the laptop for other tasks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Before you go rushing off to buy something, is your TV a smart tv with a netflix app ? it might play it natievly.
    If not Chromecast is the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

Chromecast. Simple to use and streams Netflix (and various other things from your laptop) perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Just get a HDMI connect your laptop to TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

OP said no cables. Yep, takes about 5 minutes, does it all automatically over WiFi. Also works with apple devices whereas apple TV doesn't work with android etc.

On a side note, I'm presuming you probably have some sort of smartphone also? Well you can stream Netflix also from your phone with a chromecast and it works even better than on the laptop :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Firblog

I assume they would be simple to set up? Oh and I assume it would be possible to say stream Netflix to the TV while doing college stuff on the laptop? is I can still use the laptop for other tasks.

You deffo can with when using chrome, as in you could have youtube playing in one tab in chrome, cast it to the TV, and be surfing away on other tabs on the laptop; so I'd assume you can cast netflix, then just minimize it and work away as normal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

apple tv, or a blu ray dvd player.

Hey folks thanks for all the replies. Looking at Chromecast.

I have Netflix on my phone to keep the kids happy and if I can use my laptop and stream away I ll be happy out.

Once again many thanks

Well if you have it on your phone then Chromecast is a no brainer :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxYTlhUYLCU

Bump. Do i have to use chrome? Firefox is my browser at the moment.

oh can i stream movies using vlc player with it? Does it play all or only some formats?

Sorry for all the questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Yea chrome cast probaly your best option

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Firblog

Bump. Do i have to use chrome? Firefox is my browser at the moment.

oh can i stream movies using vlc player with it? Does it play all or only some formats?

Sorry for all the questions

This is well different from you OP about netflix..

If you want to use firefox - don't think 'chrome'cast is compatible.

Don't believe VLC can be cast to TV using chromecast.

If you are looking for that functionality then I'd recommend looking at one of these €80 approx.

Advertisement