Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB / Vodafone Fibre BB coming to Waterford

Options
  • 02-07-2014 3:54pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Some good news out there competition wise. The ESB & Vodafone are joining forces to offer fibre broadband, starting early 2015 subject to EU approval. The government passed legislation to allow for this and Waterford & Tramore are on their list of first areas to get the new service.

The network will offer speeds of 200 Mbps to 1000 Mbps.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

1000 Mbps me hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

i hope this really happens, i'm happy with UPC, but there's nothing like a bit of competition.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

1000 Mbps me hole.

Unlike all other competitors, this is fibre to the home. It's fibre directly into your house. UPC and Eircom use copper resulting in loss of speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Sully wrote: »
    Unlike all other competitors, this is fibre to the home. It's fibre directly into your house. UPC and Eircom use copper resulting in loss of speeds.

Still, there are very few places in the world that can get to those speeds, even Google Fiber.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭decies

Sully where is the list for this I believe it when I see it. Am still waiting for that eircom fibre which I thought I would have 6 months ago, despite being in the connected area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭decies

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

decies wrote: »
    Sully where is the list for this I believe it when I see it. Am still waiting for that eircom fibre which I thought I would have 6 months ago, despite being in the connected area.

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/broadband-plan-esb-vodafone-1550088-Jul2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Junior

Wow, Waterford City and Tramore. So much coverage. So much wow. Not.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Junior wrote: »
    Wow, Waterford City and Tramore. So much coverage. So much wow. Not.

Two big population centers, makes perfect sense and is more cost affective then trying to provide to rural towns and villages

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Junior

Cabaal wrote: »
    Two big population centers, makes perfect sense and is more cost affective then trying to provide to rural towns and villages

That already have fibre providers so instead of pushing further and upgrading wider networks they are putting in another fibre ring where two rings already exist - it's a box ticking exercise with the government - a quick patch to tick a box to make it look like hey lads we've rolled out fibre to X amount of people aren't we great lads.

I know genuine progress to get the whole wider network can't happen over night, but I'm fed up of hearing about the Fibre Network and what the government is doing when in reality it's encouraging this to happen. Sure it will bring more competition to the market, but I have no doubt in a few years time the companies that are providing fibre into large populations will turn around and say well yah we aren't making enough money to go out to anywhere else, any chance of a hand out to bring fibre to X, Y, Z.

• Advertisement

Junior wrote: »
    That already have fibre providers so instead of pushing further and upgrading wider networks they are putting in another fibre ring where two rings already exist - it's a box ticking exercise with the government - a quick patch to tick a box to make it look like hey lads we've rolled out fibre to X amount of people aren't we great lads.

I know genuine progress to get the whole wider network can't happen over night, but I'm fed up of hearing about the Fibre Network and what the government is doing when in reality it's encouraging this to happen. Sure it will bring more competition to the market, but I have no doubt in a few years time the companies that are providing fibre into large populations will turn around and say well yah we aren't making enough money to go out to anywhere else, any chance of a hand out to bring fibre to X, Y, Z.

This is a commercial initiative that the government had a limited roll in. They are doing their own broadband scheme.

We are very limited competition wise for fibre. Eircoms network is limited and the same with UPC in ways. This is the first fibre to the home venture.

Advertisement