Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Claiming dole while Potentially not finished college

• 02-07-2014 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Finished a Level 7 engineering degree in May. Applied for social welfare payment and got a letter Today stating I will be receiving €120 a week jobs seekers benefit.

I AM genuinely looking for work but if I do not find something suitable I will possibly consider returning to college and doing a 1 year add-on course (level 8)

I can only presume there will be repercussions if I do return to college considering I had to give the social welfare office a letter stating I am finished college.

Any advice on the situation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

look into back to education scheme as you may be able to get on it for the next college year depending on circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 10 limerickman89

cheers for the reply RFOLEY, will look into that.

Do you reckon so that the social welfare office will not have an issue if i return to college even tho I am to recieve Jobseekers benifit on the basis that I am finished college and looking for full time work?

cheers for the reply RFOLEY, will look into that.

Do you reckon so that the social welfare office will not have an issue if i return to college even tho I am to recieve Jobseekers benifit on the basis that I am finished college and looking for full time work?

from my experience they seem to make it up as they go along there so it would all depend on individual claim.

I do know if you are on BTEA then you are free to take up full time work during the summer so my advice would be to ring your local office and discuss your situation with them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

RFOLEY1990 wrote: »
    from my experience they seem to make it up as they go along there so it would all depend on individual claim.
    This.
    You can ask for a letter from your college saying you are finished your course, as sometimes the next year of your course is dependent on your exams. Then you just tell Social Welfare you're going back to college.
    If you're available for work and can't find any then they're supposed to pay up.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    This.
    You can ask for a letter from your college saying you are finished your course, as sometimes the next year of your course is dependent on your exams. Then you just tell Social Welfare you're going back to college.
    If you're available for work and can't find any then they're supposed to pay up.

This is pretty much exactly the case. When applyin for JSB I was obliged to give a letter stating I am finished college, which I gave them.

4th year of the course is dependant on exams. I have subsequently been offered 4th year but it had always been my intention to just do 3 years (as basically i cant stand college and would much rather be working) and recieve an ordinary degree.

In the time i have spent searching for jobs I have began to think that for the sake of 9months, another year in college would not be a bad idea if it ment more opportunities.

As things stand my plan is to bide my time on the jobs front and if I havnt found anything by August I will notify the social welfare that i am considering returning to college.

According to "Citizens Advice" it will be frowned upon but since I am making a genuine effort to find employment (and not tryin to fraud the state) there should not be any reprecussions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,108 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

RFOLEY1990 wrote: »
    look into back to education scheme as you may be able to get on it for the next college year depending on circumstances

This is not true.

You would need to be 9 months unemployed!!!!!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

This is not true.

Joeytheparrot ur correct!

from the welfare website:
    "To qualify for BTEA you must be in receipt of one of the following social welfare payments for a minimum period; usually 3 months if pursuing a second level course, or 9 months if pursuing a third level course."

I dont care about not gettin BTEA as long as there is no issues if i do go back to college!

This is not true.

was always under the impression it was 6 months, must have changed it

Advertisement