Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing a puppy

• 02-07-2014 4:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any advice or information on the best and most cost effective way to import a puppy from Austria
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Are you buying a puppy from austria and shipping it here? Sounds ridiculous to be honest. Very frightening and potentially damaging journey for the pup without an owner present.

If you want whatever animal it is you want to buy from Austria at least have the decency to go over and bring it back with you guaranteeing it travels with the minimum upset and stress.

If you cant afford that, then you cant afford to import the pup, without getting into why you'd want to do it.

ps...just noticed that "cost effective" is a criteria. Shouldn't be, should be comfort and stress free for the animal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

I am going over ya clown
    Anyone with helpful advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I am pie wrote: »
    Are you buying a puppy from austria and shipping it here? Sounds ridiculous to be honest. Very frightening and potentially damaging journey for the pup without an owner present.

If you want whatever animal it is you want to buy from Austria at least have the decency to go over and bring it back with you guaranteeing it travels with the minimum upset and stress.

If you cant afford that, then you cant afford to import the pup, without getting into why you'd want to do it.

ps...just noticed that "cost effective" is a criteria. Shouldn't be, should be comfort and stress free for the animal.

Wow what a helpful informative post :rolleyes:

OP somebody was asking about importing a Doberman pup a while back - some info in their post - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90047480

What kind of pup is it btw!?

tk123 wrote: »
    Wow what a helpful informative post :rolleyes:

OP somebody was asking about importing a Doberman pup a while back - some info in their post - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90047480

What kind of pup is it btw!?

A hound
    Thanks for the link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

endasmail wrote: »
    I am going over ya clown
    Anyone with helpful advice

Buy the dog in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I am pie, give it a rest.
    Don't post on this thread again.

Everyone else: back on topic please.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

If you are going over then the only way to bring it back is by car or by plane. Air transportation can be expensive unless you can get an airline that allows you to bring the dog as checked in baggage . Best thing to do is contact a transport company (KLInternational may be a possibility) here and see if they can recommend a carrier from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I looked into this briefly some time ago and the only way to do it is with the pet passport ...but ...from what I remember the timeline and succession of all the necessary shots for the passport make it impossible to actually import a puppy.
    The dog would be several months old before it can be issued a passport ...which means it would spend its most formative weeks/months being raised by someone else and in a different environement ...kinda negates the point of getting a pup.

peasant wrote: »
    I looked into this briefly some time ago and the only way to do it is with the pet passport ...but ...from what I remember the timeline and succession of all the necessary shots for the passport make it impossible to actually import a puppy.
    The dog would be several months old before it can be issued a passport ...which means it would spend its most formative weeks/months being raised by someone else and in a different environement ...kinda negates the point of getting a pup.

No, its not impossible
    just tricky

Advertisement