Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engagement ring help - Cork

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

mordeith wrote: »
    Fuc*ing hell. What a statement :p

Yup, but note it's women judging other women. It's not women judging the man who gave them a cheap ring. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Women judge each other on the quality of their engagement rings.

Speak for yourself! :rolleyes:

It surprises me the amount of bad reports about Keanes. I thought they were good, having got some stuff there in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Women judge each other on the quality of their engagement rings.

Not all women do this and I would say any who do are the minority. I have better things to do than judge anyone on their possessions full stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

bee06 wrote: »
    Not all women do this and I would say any who do are the minority. I have better things to do than judge anyone on their possessions full stop.

I agree. My mother always told me: 'Never look at what anyone has. You don't know how they came by it'. I've heard of plenty of couples at home who have the big fcuk off rings, posh wedding, all the x's. But don't have a bean! I even know of one girl who had a £5k rock, £40k wedding, and a divorce less than a year later! The whole thing was on the knock, and she's still paying off the bills...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

pwurple wrote: »
    Take a look at blue nile. Online. They ship to Ireland.

All your pesky diamond questions answered. My now husband got my ring there. Got it valued in Keanes afterwards for insurance. They valued it for nearly double what he had paid. We got ky wedding ring there also.

I would strongly recommend against some of the small jewellers in Cork unfortunetly for diamonds, and usually I am a big fan of supporting local. I know someone who had to take one of them to court over a diamond with a fraudulent certificate. I know another who went to have a ring valued and the base metal was not what it should have been.

Now if i was going to buy an engagement ring in a small jeweler in Cork city and had read that well I would be very reluctant because you said some, so just to be on the safe side I would not go to any of them.

Therefore you have branded them all as dodgy, I am not a solicitor or anything like that but that to me seems slanderous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

hoodwinked wrote: »
    don't!

i can second this ^ opinion on Keanes, bought my engagement ring in there, i fell in love with a white gold ring, and thought because it was Keanes i was getting a good quality ring,

sure enough we bought our wedding bands in another jewelers where a friend works and he recommended white gold due to the fact my engagement ring was white gold and fitted the band to the engagement ring, but since i got my wedding band i've noticed

a: it feels better quality than the engagement ring, when they both fell on a tiled bathroom floor the engagement ring makes a hollow sound where the wedding ring sounds (after i tested it on other rings) exactly the same as other peoples white gold rings.
    and

b: it yellows so much faster than my wedding ring, i even got both dipped at the same time last year and it was yellow long before the wedding ring, despite me wearing both constantly

if it wasn't for its sentimental value i'd replace it, but i will never buy from Keanes again.
    kub wrote: »
    Now if i was going to buy an engagement ring in a small jeweler in Cork city and had read that well I would be very reluctant because you said some, so just to be on the safe side I would not go to any of them.

Therefore you have branded them all as dodgy, I am not a solicitor or anything like that but that to me seems slanderous.

it depends on your experience, where i bought my wedding ring as i described above was a small jewellers and i have been back there so often since,i have never had an issue with diamonds or quality of any products from there, so if i saw what was written about small jewelers i'd assume it was somewhere else,

not all small jewelers are run the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

What I (we) did was, I went myself and bought a token ring to propose with. A ring that looks nice, but isn't anywhere in the range of an engagement ring. Then afterwards we went together and picked out the engagement ring. So now she has 2 rings, and loves the engagement ring because we picked it out together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Well i did the deed last saturday night, i had a trip planned but she didnt know where to, She got some surprise when she got to the airport to see that we were heading to Paris for 4 nights. I proposed to her on the second night and she loved the ring ( michel jewelers) . Thanks for the help guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

tonydude wrote: »
    Well i did the deed last saturday night, i had a trip planned but she didnt know where to, She got some surprise when she got to the airport to see that we were heading to Paris for 4 nights. I proposed to her on the second night and she loved the ring ( michel jewelers) . Thanks for the help guys :)

Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

That is lovely - congratulations !

• Advertisement
Advertisement