Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

voluntary committee problems

• 02-07-2014 5:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I've being doing work for a voluntary organisation and I'm on one or two committees. I'm having real problems with a fellow committee member - in the past I've been a bit of a pushover regarding my time and asserting my opinions. I've had to get more assertive about this, and almost in parallel, I've found that this person, who is quite bossy, is getting increasingly nasty and dismissive of me. I've pulled them up on something she said to me (after I'd avoided her for a while) and I thought it was resolved, but things seem to be getting worse. A lot of our contact is by email now - we used to talk more and be friends but now it's very formal. Some of the emails I've been getting recently are very condescending and with others cc'd I find the whole thing quite hurtful.

I strongly suspect also this person is giving out about me to other people in the organisation, as I've seen this happen with others. I've had a couple of emails about a project where there is feedback reported but the original email from the other party is not forwarded on, as normal. And it's usually contradicting what I'm proposing.

I'm trying to say very little in the way of identifying information, and now I'm worried it will make no sense.

My family are saying step away from the organisation, and I'm tempted to, but I've invested a lot of time in it, and value wise, it's important to me. Or I could just avoid this person. I'm so annoyed about it though it's hard to decide if I should just confront this person and then I think I did that before and it seemed to have no effect. I'm also worried that they will gossip to others about confidences I shared in the past (I find this particularly difficult to deal with).

Any advice welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,142 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Mod note: though this isn't about paid work, I cannot think of a better forum for it. If anyone can think of one, please use Reportr Post to let the mods know.

Advertisement