Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to save a java project to the cloud

Options
  • 02-07-2014 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hello all. Im using Intelij Idea for Java programming for college. I have to work on different devices such as college desktop, my own laptop ect. Is it possible to save a project to Skydrive or Drop Box and make it work accross these devices.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

If you just use your DropBox folder as your working directory the project will sync across your devices. This isn't a great solution though.

The best solution is to use version control such as Git or Mercurial along with a hosting service such as GitHub or BitBucket. Using version control in college will give you a great start as to how professional developers manage their project source code.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You could setup an account at https://bitbucket.org and use source code management tools to handle the syncing and so on between the different devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Have a look at subversion for free, eg: http://offers.assembla.com/free-subversion-hosting/

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭jamesccp

Thank you all for taking the time to answer me. I will study these solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Dropbox is a bloody nightmare for this. Itll work for a while then screw up files and corrupt your project. Github all the way. Thats what its there for.

Zip them all up and store them on Dropbox as a backup but dont use it as your Eclipse folder!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Github.

/thread

But seriously, this is exactly what version control is for. Plus it keep track of all your changes and makes sure nothing gets lost. Plus it's used in the professional world so it's essential to get some experience with.

Advertisement