Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Control-Alt-Delete.........RESTART!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Fyi race looks to be sold out

Say it ain't so.

ShineyShiney???

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

I'll sort you a transfer if you decide to race Bth

• Registered Users Posts: 4,135 ✭✭✭El Director

Wow it's all kicking off in here! :P

Sunday should be great fun and it would be great to see everyone there! Coffee on the first boardsee home :)

Tuesday 30th June

Bike Tempo

Back on the turbo, 65 minutes including 3 x 15 minutes at 80 - 90%, worked out at around 84% - 212 watts. So a good solid 45 minutes of work there.

P5 with Frank now in Richies in Swords, hopefully it'll be good to go Saturday, would like to get out on it before then :o

Wednesday 31st June

Swim CSS/Threshold - Goldilocks

A swim smooth session:

100 easy freestyle
    100 pull buoy ↑ B5s ↓ B3s
    2 x 50 fins
    1) 25 6/1/6 + 25 freestyle
    2) 50 broken arrow
    100 pull buoy and optional paddles
    100 freestyle moderate pace
    2 x 50 pull buoy (12 ½ scull # 1 + 12 ½ doggy paddle + 25 freestyle)

3 x 100 freestyle (25 easy + 25 moderate + 25 fast + 25 easy) (+10s)

All at CSS/100 pace and all with 25sec recovery between each.

3 x 100
    1 x 200 (Baby Bear)

3 x 100
    1 x 300 (Mamma Bear)

3 x 100
    1 x 400 (Papa Bear)

100 choice

Loved it. In keeping with my "be gentle" to myself I slipped on the buoyancy shorts and therefore I was able to hit 1:40/100 pace for all the baby, moma and papa. Very pleased with my pacing.

Dist 2800m; Pace 1:43/100;

Run Easy with sprints

Lovely evening, just 30 minutes with 5 x 15 second "sprints" thrown in.

Dist 5.8km; Pace 5:21/km; HR 148bpm;

First run in 10 days, not including the run at Cutra. I really have to prioritise running now because it's where I struggle the most and is always the session I drop when I feel like dropping a session. Seems like I can get away with a crap diet when swimming and biking but running is not so forgiving :o

I'll sort you a transfer if you decide to race Bth

Cheers, gotta give the crowd what they want ;)

Thursday 2nd June

Bike sweet spot

60 mins with high cadence, build, 3 x 8 minutes at 90-95% (2 minutes recovery) and finished with sprints. This was tough but rewarding. 234 watts for the 3 sweet spots. The first was a struggle, I think I wasn't ready mentally for how tough it was going to be. I was mentally ready for the last two though and it made a difference. It wasn't really difficult just a nice step up from tempo.

Last day of school today, whoop whoop! Quiet down the back jealous folks, pipe down! So I hope I get more consistent from now on and also reintroduce strength and flexibility as well as OW swims. I have wasted the last 4 summers wallowing somewhat, well I will make everyday count this summer. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Looks like there might be a bit of a chop on the water sun. But to be expected over these parts..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Looks like there might be a bit of a chop on the water sun. But to be expected over these parts..

I had my first OW swim of the year today. Went out to Blackrock. I was tossed around like a rag doll. Sunday should be good craic - all 1200m of it :cool:

End of year party last night...head on me today! Going to get on the bike for an hour, should be the better for it. Missed yesterday's swim and run too. P5 still not ready so it's the road bike tomorrow. Don't know what the delay is tbh, no communication from the shop since leaving it with them on Tuesday! Rang on Thursday but it seemed they had even looked at it, rang today and they said they'd ring back but that's 5 hours ago. There are only 2/3 small jobs to be done so I can't understand what the delay is. Maybe it's been stolen and they don't know how to break the news

Hopefully not!!

Forgot my race (run) shoes, anyone know if there will be a vendor there tomorrow morning selling lock laces and the like. No biggie, I've my Kinvara they will do. Anyone got spare lock laces even?

Glad I went out but god I feel tired. Did 67 minutes easy. Looking forward to tomorrow although the early start is a pain. I don't mind the rough sea conditions, from what I remember I usually do fairly well in those conditions. The bike route from what I can remember can get really congested with cars and tractors and the like. The early start will help that but anyone well down on the swim might run into the traffic. The run will hurt but I'm prepared mentally now for that. I've fond memories of this event, got my first top 10 here and my first podium. The weather is consistently horrific too :P

• Advertisement

The bike route from what I can remember can get really congested with cars and tractors and the like

Sure we're all farmers over here😕

Back to big boy racing today and my first sprint since I don't know when. Up at 5:10am to have breakie and register at 7. I really don't mind the early starts but I'd prefer to be racing around midday when it's a little warmer. Hit off for Galway, very showery and some bright sunny spells too :rolleyes::cool:.

Got set up in transition, no warm up, into wetsuit and on to briefing where it p1ssed down on us, it got really cold too.

Swim

I found the start a little confusing, into the water as I thought it was a waist height start, then we were called out again and told to slowly walk in. Next thing I know everyone seemed to just go for it so I off I went. I was a good bit behind already but I just took my time and worked my way through. It was rough as hell out there, I didn't find it too bad in terms of being bumped around I just went with it but there was a big swell. I actually enjoyed it I must say, really enjoyed it. I came out with Catweazle almost hand in hand :p

Time 19:13; Pos 27/165

T2

This one wasn't too bad

Time 1:28; Pos 30/165

Bike

Strong headwind on the way out, had the clip-ons on the roadie and tried to stay down as much as I could. I passed 15 or so and 5/6 passed me including P Gibbo. I was glad to get to the turn around and get the wind at my back. Hit my target of 240 watts. Dismount went well.

Time 37:36; Dist 20.5km; Speed 33.6kph; AP 241; NP 251; Cad 84; AHR 164; Pos 21/165;

T2

Having to tie your laces is a pain and must have cost me 40 seconds I'd say.

Time 1:24; Pos 107/165;

Run

I wasn't in the hurt locker as much as last week, I paced it WAY better. Very please with that. My km splits were very even even considering the strong headwind for the last 2.4km or so.

Time 21:02; Pace 4:22/km; AHR 173bpm; Cad 85; Pos 32/165;

Overall

Time 1:20:43; Pos 20/165;

A great day out. I really enjoyed it. It was great to meet up with so many old pals :) BTH, CW, P Gibbo -great to see you guys. Rob I heard you being mentioned over the sound system but didn't see you, next time dude. I have loads of room for improvement thats for sure and I have a whole summer ahead to do so :)

(written in haste, excuse the typo's!)

Great racing well done. You looked strong on the run.
    Sorry had to head earlier than planned the boys were getting cold and hungry.

Good to see you back on the wagon ElD. Westport in a couple of weeks??

And in more important news, despite giving up a full 2min to gibbo on the run (which was fully expected) I had enough of a gap before that to take the mods title by 1:25. :D:) :cool:

Training is overrated.

BTH wrote: »

And in more important news, despite giving up a full 2min to gibbo on the run (which was fully expected) I had enough of a gap before that to take the mods title by 1:25. :D:) :cool:

Training is overrated.

I'd like to do Westport actually but it's sold out now, I'll try to see if I can swing a transfer. I'd like a front row seat for Gibbo V BTH 2!

Training is overrated.

:D we'll have to get mossy up next time

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

pgibbo wrote: »
    :D we'll have to get mossy up next time

your aim should be on making sure you win the mods battle next time, not making arrangements so you're not last mod home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Swim

I found the start a little confusing, into the water as I thought it was a waist height start, then we were called out again and told to slowly walk in. Next thing I know everyone seemed to just go for it so I off I went. I was a good bit behind already but I just took my time and worked my way through. It was rough as hell out there, I didn't find it too bad in terms of being bumped around I just went with it but there was a big swell. I actually enjoyed it I must say, really enjoyed it. I came out with Catweazle almost hand in hand :p

Time 19:13; Pos 27/165

Dont know how you enjoyed that, one of the roughest swims I ever did, made a real try to hold the leading pack as I went off, failed miserably and then blew up royally with exhaustion. The small panic attacks then started as I had no energy to fight the bigger swells as we went out. Took me till after the 1st buoy to get the head back together again. It never really seemed to be pushing us along at any stage the angle it was coming in

All in all though I enjoyed the day and the enthusiasm swept me up to do Westport next week as well - 2 triathlons in a calendar year is a serious upsurge in commitment from me

catweazle wrote: »
    Dont know how you enjoyed that, one of the roughest swims I ever did, made a real try to hold the leading pack as I went off, failed miserably and then blew up royally with exhaustion. The small panic attacks then started as I had no energy to fight the bigger swells as we went out. Took me till after the 1st buoy to get the head back together again. It never really seemed to be pushing us along at any stage the angle it was coming in

All in all though I enjoyed the day and the enthusiasm swept me up to do Westport next week as well - 2 triathlons in a calendar year is a serious upsurge in commitment from me

I don't know why but I've always enjoyed those type of swims! For someone who blew up royally you had a great swim!

Since Salthill I have done 2 sessions and ate like a pig. Fell off the waggon I guess. Actually the last 3 weeks have been absolute pants, 7 sessions in total.

So, starting tomorrow I am back on the waggon! Westport will be about appropriate pacing/taking it handy and enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I don't know why but I've always enjoyed those type of swims! For someone who blew up royally you had a great swim!

Since Salthill I have done 2 sessions and ate like a pig. Fell off the waggon I guess. Actually the last 3 weeks have been absolute pants, 7 sessions in total.

So, starting tomorrow I am back on the waggon! Westport will be about appropriate pacing/taking it handy and enjoying it.

Call it a taper for your A Race

I did blow up royally but only for a short time, once I got my breath back a little i was able to dial it back to a more sustainable effort. Will see you in Westport myself - looking promising for a sunny day :cool:

• Advertisement

catweazle wrote: »
    Call it a taper for your A Race

I did blow up royally but only for a short time, once I got my breath back a little i was able to dial it back to a more sustainable effort. Will see you in Westport myself - looking promising for a sunny day :cool:

Now wouldn't that be nice for a change!! See you there dude.

Thursday 15th June

Swim Technique

Just a handy one to try and kick start me again. Went for a stretch and roll first. Felt nice to be back in the pool. Usually I'm annoyed at myself for leaving it so long and frustrated but I'm trying to take it easy on myself and I just accept that I'll go through days/weeks like that where I don't feel up to it.

Bike

I'm falling in love all over again! On the P5 for the first time since Feb 2014. Basically doubled the miles on the clock. It's a dream. The training wheels are **** and heavy but even still. The Di2 Ultegra is so satisfying. No plan, just went out with a mate and did what I felt like. Turned out I wanted to just go fast, small bursts, no looking at the garmin, in fact it was in my pocket. My mate took a cool video, didn't know he was doing it but it was good to see that my position looks good, fairly flat back and there was very little rocking. But then again I wasn't pushing it.

I trained today. Twice. I feel good about things again :) I'm tired now though :P

I'm tired now though :P

Epic taper ;)

Epic taper ;)

I think I've over done the taper and over done it today :) it's a lot better than doing nothing though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

I trained today. Twice. I feel good about things again :) I'm tired now though :P

That's what it's all about :) Delighted you're getting a buzz from training again.

Best of luck in Westport this weekend, weather is looking good :)

Bike

I'm falling in love all over again! On the P5 for the first time since Feb 2014. Basically doubled the miles on the clock. It's a dream. The training wheels are **** and heavy but even still. The Di2 Ultegra is so satisfying. No plan, just went out with a mate and did what I felt like. Turned out I wanted to just go fast, small bursts, no looking at the garmin, in fact it was in my pocket. My mate took a cool video, didn't know he was doing it but it was good to see that my position looks good, fairly flat back and there was very little rocking. But then again I wasn't pushing it.

I trained today. Twice. I feel good about things again :)I'm tired now though :P

That's just an age thing ;):pac:

@neady83 thanks! I need to catch up on your log next week and I look forward to it too :)

@pgibbo I don't subscribe to the old thing Gibbo, I've 9 to 10 good years left I feel. Then 30 or so of being "very fit for my age" :) Under trained and unfit, that's something I do believe in :)

Friday 16th June

Run Easy

30 minutes easy. Was anything but. Had to walk 3 times to keep the HR down. Did it early doors in the park though and it was so lovely :)

Tomorrow the plan is swim comfortable and strong, bike fairly hard and then run within myself get HR under control and keep below the red line/threshold. I'm actually looking forward to it as the weather looks to be good :)

Saturday 17 June
    Westport NS Sprint - Race Report

At last a beautiful day for a race and a decent start time and on a Saturday too! Met BTH, P Gibbo and Catweazle before the race and grabbed a coffee with CW. Nice relaxed approach to the race.

The P5 race ready, me? Not so much...

ea899200-82a6-4fbe-9e39-a9ab3b2b8010.jpg

eb946589-9827-466f-a509-155d82e65268.jpg

Swim

Perfect conditions...finally! It was a water start, lined up between two red buoy's. Everyone seemed well behaved and no creeping forward, then we got the word that there was 8 minutes to the start. An audible, collective groan was heard and with everyone getting a bit anxious we were never likely to get a straight line again. Not that that matters really or ever happens anyway. Despite much calmer conditions I found this swim much rougher than Salthill two weeks previous, I'm pretty sure I was assaulted coming around the first buoy! On two or three occasions people decided to stand up randomly which was very annoying because i ran into them and that totally f's up ones rhythm. Still, not a bad swim overall

Dist 722m; Time 12:06; Pace 1:40/100m; Stroke Rate 58rpm; Pos 80/349;

T1

Into T1 with Catweazle once again, P Gibbo joined us there too. I couldn't for the life of me get my wetsuit open and had to ask CW for a bit of help! It only dawned after me that it was CW that had zipped me up before the swim, something fishy a foot I reckon! :)

Time 1:56;

Bike

A flat course and as I had the P5 under me with the race wheels I was really looking forward to this. The first 2/3 km's the surface is rough enough. As I was wearing the garmin on my wrist I couldn't really keep an eye on the numbers but my plan was to go by feel anyway as it was a sprint. I actually felt tired tbh but I still enjoyed it. At one stage there must have been a train of 20, no exaggeration, came by. I sat up for half a minute of so and then just tired to pick my way through best I could. A bike marshal came a long and their presence was enough to ensure the train broke up - good marshalling imo, no need for penalties, things just get bunched on a 10km stretch of road with 350 competitors.

Dist 20km; Time 34:07; Speed 35.2kph; AH 173; AP 256; NP 270; Cad 93;

Note: My FTP is 252. Perhaps I went too hard?

Run

Felt rough going onto the run, may have over cooked the bike but I think it has more to do with the fact that I'd done sweet F A running in 3 weeks. CW came by me just after we entered Westport House and I couldn't go with him, I was in survival mode. Then at 1km a bit of a sharp kick up in elevation, I thought to myself, "this may catch John out" as I know he was pushing it to drop me and, like me, wasn't expecting the sharp rise. It was a fleeting thought though because I almost had to walk the hill myself! Loved the run course though I must say and I felt a lot better after 3.5km and was able to pick it up somewhat.

Dist 4.7km; Time 22:35; AHR 173; Pace 4:48/km; Cad 84rpm;

Cannot praise this race enough. Well done Westport Tri and Tommie. Spent an hour or so eating with the lads after, it was nice not to be rushing off after, especially when the food was this good!!

Headed to Sligo after for Rovers V Galway United and a reasonable amount of pints :)

A great bunch of lads!

8a78bce7-a643-424a-bb7e-66071c6b2de5.jpg

After race care routine :)

6d462cde-de1d-4e3b-bc8f-bcd4840ba421.jpg

Sunday 18th June Chill/day off

Monday 19th June

Swim

Simple session to kick off the week. 10 x 100m off 1:50. Couldn't make the repeats after 4 so pushed the repeat time out to 2 minutes.
    Howth Aquathon- Short Course

Swim

Apart from going off course a couple of times this was a good swim. Happy with the pace and turnover.

Dist 767m; Time 11:52; Pace 1:33/100m; 56spm

Run

Felt grand and got into a decent rhythm, passed a good few in the first km. Had about 4 pass me. The hill that Joey mentioned was a bit of a bloody killer and it continued upwards all the way to the car park and turnaround although it did level out. Like Saturday I felt better in the last 1.5km, I just felt more confident in myself that I could pick up the pace a bit more.

Dist 3.46km; Time 14:51; Pace 4:18/km; Cadence 86rpm;

Finished 14th out of 99.

Nothing like some racing to get you motivated to train. Training update to come.

Nothing else entered at the moment but I'm thinking one more tri, an olympic one possibly Caroline Kearney and an aquabike - mad to do one of those! If i do CK, Aug 12th I will then switch focus to running for 5 weeks and the Dublin Half Marathon. Also hope to do the 10km (23rd July) and 10 mile (26thish of Aug) in the series.

Then to round things off perhaps an ultra/trail run of some description.

I hope the P5 found that bed comfortable :pac:

great craic on Saturday. Days like that make racing even more enjoyable that it already is.

If you don't do CK, the SoG are on the same day. Eugene is doing both AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

he even booked it it's own bed!!

nice report, looks like a fun day.

Advertisement