Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Control-Alt-Delete.........RESTART!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

pgibbo wrote: »
    Eugene is doing both AFAIK.

need to be careful, if he races enough it would almost count as training and how would he sandbag then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

What are you doing to the bike in the second picture?? Using a hair dryer to take off the back number??

Yep that hill in Howth is awful, kills any momentum and knocks you out of your rhythm. Once you reach the turnaround though it is pretty fast back to the finish, but running back down that hill is pretty bad too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Christ could you find a picture where I look fatter :o

I may well do Loughrea myself now - I will be just back from holidays and will no doubt be even heavier again but its the only way I can see that I can dodge a wedding

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Great report, love the pics too :)

Are you a flash Gordon or a Sheldon fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Sheldon all the way I'm guessing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

now that ive seen everyones photos i can confirm that i was nowhere close to any of ye at any stage !!:D but i know the heads to look out for now ..

is the hairdryer for taking off the sticker .. effin things are impossible to get off

I used baby wipes. I'd never use a baby wipe on a child. They're lethal. I find them great for getting oil off my hands and cleaning the bike. They're good for removing the crap residue left from cheap race stickers too.

Must remember that P, I hate races that use cheap numbers that leave parts of them all over the seat post and helmet. I'd be careful of heat and carbon, they don't go too well together!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Spot the pale skinned non Galwegian in that photo. Need to get some sunbed recommendations from you lads. :)

Probably will do the CK/streets double header but I'll Defo only be "racing" one of them. 20 or so from work doing the streets and pints after, so unless herself pops over 2 weeks early it should be a good night.

ElD will get a shock when he awakes from his afternoon siesta at all the updates on his log. The joys of being a teacher :D

• Advertisement

mossym wrote: »
    how would he sandbag then?
    BTH wrote: »
    but I'll Defo only be "racing" one of them. 20 or so from work doing the streets and pints after, so unless herself pops over 2 weeks early it should be a good night.

i think you just achieved Yoda level in sandbagging.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,135 ✭✭✭El Director

Ha, great catching up on my own log :)

@pgibbo I will definitely be only doing one or the other!

@joey100 & @woody forgot to say in my report, great catching up with you dude. I'm only messing in the picture tbh :cool: although I then thought i would dry components that may get rusty :rolleyes: I, like gibbo, use baby wipes usually however the P5 has a matt finish and the wipes are useless on it. So a bucket of warm soapy water and a sponge does the job nicely. As I was in the hotel it meant putting the bike in the bath :D As for the sticky bloody labels I find that the wipes only do an okay job, again, warm soapy water will get the sticky residue.

@neady both actually :cool:

@catweazle might do Loughrea so too, got to get my revenge! :P

Training

Tuesday 20th June Long Easy Bike

Clonsilla to Howth via Clontarf, Dollymount and Sutton. Wanted to do this for a long while and the day was savage so off I went. Through the city center too which wasn't as bad as I feared it might. I've heard a lot about Howth hill and did it twice from both sides, no biggie tbh. Loved the descents though :) Stopped for 20 minutes or so in Howth to take in the beauty of it all. There is a brilliant cycle lane 8.5km in length from Clontarf to Sutton roughly. Normally I avoid cycle paths but this was awesome, loved it. All in all a thoroughly enjoyable spin.

Time 2:26:37; Dist 62.9km; Speed 25.8kph; AHR 132; AP 182; NP 213; Cad 83;

Wednesday 21st June Swim - Threshold/CSS

Goldilock session again...

100 easy freestyle
    100 pull buoy ↑ B5s ↓ B3s
    2 x 50 fins
    1) 25 6/1/6 + 25 freestyle
    2) 50 broken arrow
    100 pull buoy and optional paddles
    100 freestyle moderate pace
    2 x 50 pull buoy (12 ½ scull # 1 + 12 ½ doggy paddle + 25 freestyle)

3 x 100 freestyle (25 easy + 25 moderate + 25 fast + 25 easy) (+10s)

All at CSS/100 pace and all with 25sec recovery between each. Set watch to 25 sec alert, stick with the beep - stop if needs be!

3 x 100
    1 x 200 (Baby Bear)

3 x 100
    1 x 300 (Mamma Bear)

3 x 100
    1 x 400 (Papa Bear)

100 choice

Finally a decent swim session. Used the buoyancy shorts again for baby, mama and papa bear bit. the first 7 100's came in at 1:38, the last two 1:41. The 200 pace - 1:40, the 300 - 1:41 and the 400 - 1:44. Wrecked after but very satisfied.

Dist 2800m; Pace 1:45/100;

Run Easy

Headed to the park as it was 28 degrees and I know a trail route that is 70% in the shade of trees. A lovely trail run. Did the first 10 minutes in my vibrams. I found it tough tough, had to walk numerous times, still better than nothing. Determined now to make a run session every other day at least.

Time 44:09; Dist 7.7km; Pace 5:44/km; AHR 153; Cad 80;

Thursday 22nd June

So for the first time in 6 months today will be shorter than the previous day...boo!

Gym

An hour of rolling, stretching, upper back, lower back, triceps, skipping and core including planks. Great to finally get back to this stuff. I really believe in the benefits of this work in terms of injury prevention and strength. Twice a week ideally.

Bike Tempo

Tempo session today, it was planned for 60 minutes on the turbo but I decided to get outside for it, for a number of reasons;

1) weather is too nice at the moment
    2) it's too hot indoors!
    3) I need to practice bike handling on the TT
    4) I need to practice keeping between a desired power interval on the road with all the variables, traffic, lights, cars, tractors, road surface, wind etc... this is easy on the turbo.
    5) sunlight, greenery and fresh country air all contribute to a better mood :)

So I decided to head towards Summerhill and once I got past Donboyne I'd start the tempo work. 2 x 20 minutes at 80-90% with 4 minute recovery. The 2 intervals came in at around 84%. Then I finished off with 5 x 15 second sprint, 45 seconds easy and then coasted home.

Really enjoyed the second tempo as the wind was behind me. A good hit out, goal achieved.

Time 1:23:09; Dist 40.4km; AHR 135; AP 185; NP 202; Cad 87; Speed 29.1kph;

Now...siesta time :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

The new cycle lane is class, should be more of that around to take cyclists off the busy roads, another guy killed yesterday I think. Don't know why there isn't more dedicated routes.

Edit
    Prime time on just now talking about it. Talking about 1.5meters making a difference. What a load of ****e.

Nothing Friday (wedding), Saturday or Sunday. So already broke my run every other day rule. I'll just have to restart that rule as I feel it's a good one!

Monday 26th June

Gym 25 minutes of rolling, stretching, glute activation and core.

Swim Technique

100s
    100p

2 x 50, 15 scull 1, 35 fs
    2 x 50, 15 scull 2, 35 fs
    2 x 100, 6/1/6 down, fs back
    2 x 100, broke arrow down, fs back
    14 x 100, alt paddles/buoy and fs

100s
    100p

Good start to the week. The 100's went out to 1:51 by the end which reflects current fitness which is cool, I'm happy to have been in the pool.

Run

I was in the area so I hit the Bray/Greystones cliff trail. I've wanted to do it for a long time. Wow, it did not disappoint! It was a lovely warm day which helped. I parked up in Bray and off I went. The plan was to make the 1:30 Dart back to Bray from G'stones. Paid no heed to HR as I am unfit and if I was being a stickler for staying in Z2 I'd be mostly walking. I checked the data after and I was mostly in Z4! I just wanted to enjoy the run. I did stop on about 4 occasions as I wanted to take some pictures so that helped get the HR down. The trail is amazing and not busy on a Monday afternoon. Bumped into the irish goalkeeper, Darren Randolph too! Pushed on at the end as I was cutting it close to the 1:30 Dart. I got there with 2 minutes to spare but I just couldn't find the bloody entrance. Missed it and had to wait around for the 2 o'clock. No biggie, stretched and soaked up the sun.

Time 41:42; Dist 7.7km; Pace 5:25/km; AHR 158; Cad 80rpm;

Tuesday 27th June

Gym

Roll
    Stretch
    Glute activation
    Dead lift
    Squat
    Lunges
    Lower back
    Core

Time 60 minutes

Races for the second half of 2017

The first half of 2017 is pretty much done so I have decided on my remaining races for 2017:

July

Wednesday 5th - Phen Park Duathlon (got a transfer from the May race)
    Monday 17th - Howth Long Course
    Saturday 23rd - Fingal 10k

August

Saturday 12th - Caroline Kearney or Streets of Galway, hopefully CK as I want to do a olympic distance race and this is really the only one that suits
    Saturday 26th - Frank Duffy 10 mile

September

Sat 9th - Athlone Sprint Relay

October

Sat 7th - Galway Bay Half Marathon

December

Sat 2nd - Jingle Bells

I'd also like to do some IMRA races but I wouldn't be racing them, just doing them for enjoyment and it would be good for muscular endurance.

What about October 21st??????

That's some serious planning ahead there! A december race in already. Good to have something to work towards.

Caroline Kearney is a great race, if you want to go fast I don't think there is a better Olympic distance race to do it. A good standard expected as well with it being the National Champs, always a great race though and for my money probably the best race I have done.

joey100 wrote: »
    That's some serious planning ahead there! A december race in already. Good to have something to work towards.

Caroline Kearney is a great race, if you want to go fast I don't think there is a better Olympic distance race to do it. A good standard expected as well with it being the National Champs, always a great race though and for my money probably the best race I have done.

I did it many moons ago and remember really enjoying it. Will be a very high standard as you say with it being the national championship and the central location. Then it's mostly a run focus until after the half marathon, 3 week break then.

Oct 21st P??:confused:

What about October 21st??????

Ah the Mourne Mountain Skyline 35km! Sounds just like what I was looking for and the perfect timing really but...sold out in a matter of hours back in March. Must try to get an entry somehow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Ah the Mourne Mountain Skyline 35km! Sounds just like what I was looking for and the perfect timing really but...sold out in a matter of hours back in March. Must try to get an entry somehow though.

There's still entries for 29th Oct..

• Advertisement

:):) and the price goes up on Saturday .......

What? Same distance? Same place??

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Yes 42.2km like every year...

not quiet. little bit farther. flatter.

Ha :) no way. Not really interested in a marathon and the volume of running required. A 35km mountain does interest me however, not to race it just to do it as I'm really enjoying trail running and want to do more mountain running. The plan would be to train for and chase a time perhaps in the half marathon and then just do the mountain run by a walk/jogging strategy.

Bike Tempo

TT bike on the turbo for this one. After 10 minute warm up I did 40 minutes straight tempo effort, 218 watts (87%), all done on the aero bars. Sweat fest even with sliding door open and fan on but a very satisfying session.

Time 60 minutes; Dist 34km; AHR 138; AP 198; NP 206; Cad 88;

Ha :) no way. Not really interested in a marathon and the volume of running required. A 35km mountain does interest me however, not to race it just to do it as I'm really enjoying trail running and want to do more mountain running. The plan would be to train for and chase a time perhaps in the half marathon and then just do the mountain run by a walk/jogging strategy.

Mite be a bit too soon but the Kerry Way Ultra Lite, on September 2nd, might suit you?

Neady83 wrote: »
    Mite be a bit too soon but the Kerry Way Ultra Lite, on September 2nd, might suit you?

Hi Neady, you mentioned it before and I looked into it and got very excited about it too! However, after bouncing the idea off P Gibbo I decided to forget about it for this year. You see my main target this year is the half marathon and possibly chasing a time there (a PB) so the recovery from the Kerry Ultra Lite would have been too great especially the downhill sections. In saying that I was aiming for the Dublin Half which is 3 weeks after the KUL and now I can't do that so I'm doing Galway Bay Half which is two weeks later. Still though the recovery factor would mean missing key weeks/sessions so it's a no go. Anyway I decided to get the old tri relay team back together and that weekend is when we have penciled in the comeback! :cool:

Wednesday 28th June

Gym 25 minutes of rolling, stretching and core with gym ball

Swim Threshold/CSS

A good session from swim smooth. Endurance really lacking as you will see from the pace as the session went on. Not a problem though...so long as I am consistent between now and CK and the fact that it's 1500m swim I need to be ready for.

Actual pace times in red. (Reminder: my CSS is 1:40/100):

Warm Up

• 100 easy freestyle
    • 100 fins ↑ shoulder tap ↓ freestyle
    • 2 x 50 pull buoy (15 scull # 1 + 35 freestyle)
    • 100 pull buoy (focus on good rotation)
    • 100 fins ↑ broken arrow ↓ freestyle
    • 2 x 50 (25 fast + 25 easy)

Main Set

• 3 x 100 fs @CSS/100 (25sec rest) (1:37; 1:39; 1:40)
    • 2 x 200 10 sec rest (1:43; 1:44)
    • 3 x 100 fs @CSS/100 (25sec rest ) (1:41; 1:39; 1:40)
    • 2 x 200 10 sec rest (1:46; 1:47)
    • 3 x 100 fs @CSS/100 (25sec rest) (1:41; 1:43; 1:43)
    • 2 x 200 10 sec rest (1:47; 1:50)

Today is also run day, pissing out but it's still warm, kinda like that :)

What pace are the 200s supposed to be done at?

• Advertisement

What pace are the 200s supposed to be done at?

I actually misread! Thought it was meant to be CSS pace but it was CSS pace + 10sec. So I pushed more than I should have!

Advertisement