Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Control-Alt-Delete.........RESTART!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,135 ✭✭✭El Director

Wednesday 28th June

Run Easy

Nice and easy trail running in the park. The light drizzle meant I had the whole trail to myself. Much as I like the trails I need to vary the terrain so it'll be treadmill or pavement on Friday, if treadmill I'll also vary the footwear and do 12 minutes or so in the vibrams.

Time 46min; Dist 8.46km; Pace 5:26/km; AHR 147; Cad 80;

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Hi Neady, you mentioned it before and I looked into it and got very excited about it too! However, after bouncing the idea off P Gibbo I decided to forget about it for this year. You see my main target this year is the half marathon and possibly chasing a time there (a PB) so the recovery from the Kerry Ultra Lite would have been too great especially the downhill sections. In saying that I was aiming for the Dublin Half which is 3 weeks after the KUL and now I can't do that so I'm doing Galway Bay Half which is two weeks later. Still though the recovery factor would mean missing key weeks/sessions so it's a no go. Anyway I decided to get the old tri relay team back together and that weekend is when we have penciled in the comeback! :cool:

Ah sorry, I tried to tempt you with it before :D Next year, pencil it in your goals for the year. I understand, it would take a nice bit of recovery and it would mess up Galway. I'll be cheering you on down the prom :)

Neady83 wrote: »
    Ah sorry, I tried to tempt you with it before :D Next year, pencil it in your goals for the year. I understand, it would take a nice bit of recovery and it would mess up Galway. I'll be cheering you on down the prom :)

I'll hold you to that :)

Thursday 29th June

Gym

Roll
    Stretch
    Glute activation
    Triceps
    Swim bands
    Seated row
    Lower back
    Core

Time 60 minutes

Bike Easy Endurance

Mostly in the phoenix park with a mate for company for the last 1.5 hours. Fairly cold out today, spring gear on. After only an hour I was feeling it was a drag so it was great to get the company. Glad to get it done early doors too as the rest of the day was horrible weather wise.

Time 2:30:26; Dist 66.2km; Speed 26.4kph; AHR 126; AP 168; NP 192; Cad 85rpm;

Friday 30th June

Swim Endurance

Working on my swim limiter today, endurance.

2 x through set below:
    200 easy freestyle
    200 pull buoy
    200 fins ↑ 6/1/6 ↓ freestyle
    4 x 50 as 15 scull #1 + 35 freestyle (focus on good catch) (+10s)

1000 freestyle
    INFO
    01:45.8 (CSS +6 /100m)
    26.45 / 25m

I meant to do the 1000m with my buoyancy shorts but forgot them so 1:45/100m pace was never going to happen as my endurance isn't there (yet). I did 1000m back in Feb for time, i.e. a TT, this wasn't for time and was still a big improvement. Did it in 17:59 compared to 19:48 in Feb, 1:48 V 1:59 pace. Happy out.

Time 47min; Dist 2600m; Pace 1:48/100m;

Run

Dried off and upstairs to hit the treadmill for 45 minutes easy. 12 minutes in the vibrams. I like treadmill running, am I weird? My cadence is a bit faster on the treadmill (set at 1% btw) and a bit higher again with the vibrams.

Time 45 minutes; Dist 8km; Pace 5:37/km; AHR 142; Cad 82;

A good day and a good week so far. As some of you know I am a teacher and that does have it's benefits when training (no kids either). Some might think you can train like a pro but this isn't really possible, even at my fittest I couldn't really do much more than I already was during the school term, nor did I need to as I only train for sprint and olympic distance races.

The real benefit is quality recovery. No work means you can actually have a snooze during the day, or if tired in the morning, like this morning, have another 2 hours and train later in the afternoon when you feel more rested. Normally I like to train early doors. As well as better recover I've more time to work on core, rolling, stretching etc... As I mentioned before I think that stuff is important. , it's down a bit on the order of priority but still important, sleep and consistency are the most important imo.

In saying the above I'd like to see if I could do some treble days, as an experiment like :) Perhaps 2 weeks out from CK before I take it down a notch. So, what I'm thinking is...

-swim early before breakfast or gym
    -bike with tempo or sweetspot
    -run easy
    or...

-swim early before breakfast or gym
    -run with speed/tempo/hills
    -bike easy

So I'll try it for the craic for one week and see what happens :cool:

Another benefit is I've more time to write and read on boards :cool:

I don't bring this stuff up to annoy people or make them jealous or anything it's just is applicable to me and this is my training log so...why not. Also, having the time off can be a crap enough time too like the last 3 years but that's another story! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

I don't bring this stuff up to annoy people or make them jealous or anything

Jealous..why would you think such a thing..ðŸ˜႒
    On a serious note it must be great to get in some quality recovery post a hard session etc

• Advertisement

Jealous..why would you think such a thing..ðŸ˜႒
    On a serious note it must be great to get in some quality recovery post a hard session etc

It is and it definitely makes a difference in my experience, working and training V not working and training.

Saturday 1st July

Bike Sweet Spot

It was late when I got out for this and normally that means I skip it. The longer the day goes on the more time the little voice in my head has to make up excuses! This evening, down home, the weather was lovely so that helped me get out the door. Had it been raining I'd have definitely stayed in and watched the GAA. Long spin done during the week so this included sweet spot stuff, 3 x 8 minutes at 90-95% with two minutes recovery. As I have mentioned before it's important to do some of this type of training out on the road with your TT/race machine and get used of hitting a power target. I thought I was making a mess of it but glad to see my average was where it should be.

1st interval: Time 8min; AP 230; NP 233; AHR 141; VI 1.01; Speed 31.1kph; Cad 86rpm;
    2nd interval: Time 8min; AP 240; NP 237; AHR 142; VI 1.00; Speed 33.3kph; Cad 82rpm;
    3rd interval: Time 8min; AP 239; NP 238; AHR 148; VI 1.00; Speed 37kph; Cad 90;

Nice evening and so happy I got it done.

Time 1hr 37min; Dist 48.2km; AP 196; NP 211; AHR 134; Speed 29.8kph; Cad 89;

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Decent late session. Used to love the sweet spot stuff on the bike

Monday 3rd July

Run Easy

Annoyed with myself for not getting out on Sunday for my LSR so got up early and did 30 minutes easy around Porterstown Park. I don't like running first thing in the morning but I actually enjoyed this one. Just me and dozens of bunnies around.

Time 30min; Dist 5.65km; Pace 5:20min/km; AHR 142bpm; Cad 82;

Tuesday 4th July

Gym

Roll
    Stretch
    Glute activation
    Dead lift
    Squat
    Lunges
    Lower back
    Core

Swim Technique

Part 1

• 200 easy freestyle
    • 3 x100 fins javelin (↑ 25 javelin L + 25 freestyle breathe R ↓ 25 javelin R + 25 freestyle breathe L) click here for video, see OneNote
    • 200 easy freestyle
    • 6x50 pull buoy (15 doggy paddle + 35 freestyle)

Part 2

• 4 x150 freestyle (50 easy + 50 moderate + 50 fast ) +10s
    • 4 x100 pull buoy and optional paddles +15s
    • 4 x75 (25 pull + 25 kick + 25 pull) +10s
    • 4 x50 fins (25 popov + 25 freestyle)
    • 4 x25 freestyle @ 90% effort +10s

I think it's time for me to go back to the NAC. Sometimes in Westmanstown it's like a fvcking episode of The Walking Dead! Walkers bloody everywhere. The fast lane, the fast/medium lane and the medium lane. It's crazy! The bloody life guards do nothing about it unless you say something and then you look like a cvnt for getting granddad Murphy kicked out of the lane as the lifeguard explains to the walker whilst simultaneously pointing at me! I wouldn't mind but one third of the pool is lame free for the walkers. It would seem even walkers crave a little structure too. Breaststrokers in the fast lane too but let's not go there...at least they are (sort of) swimming.

Really nice technical session though :)

Time 44 minutes; Dist 2600m; Pace 1:42/100m;

Tuesday 4th July Evening

Bike Tempo

For the last week I have struggled with getting decent sleep and so diet and training is surely going to suffer. I'm on the brink but haven't broke yet. Just one missed session in 9 days and I haven't fell completely off the wagon in terms of diet just yet. Diet during the summer is something you got to be extra careful with because the extra down time can be boring and then munching can occur! A lot! I got from 104kg down to 77.5kg in about 5 months but I'm back at 83kg for the last month and finding it very difficult to get back down to 78kg or so.

Anyway, I mention this because I was so very, very close to calling this one off before I started. I got it done though. This session called for:

10 minute WU
    45 minute tempo
    5 x {15 sec sprint, 45 sec recovery}
    5 minute CD

It took a while for the legs to respond but they did and I got a solid 65 minutes done.

Tempo: Time 45 min; AP 215; NP 214; AHR 150; Cad 93;

Overall: Time 65 min; AP 192; NP 203; AHR 145; Cad 91;

So I had to defer a race entry back in April, the phoenix park duathlon, therefore I am entered into a race tomorrow. I don't really feel like it but I might do it. If the weather is crap that will be enough to put me off tbh! If I do it I have to decide on which bike. Getting the TT race setup ready takes a while and is a pain - wheels and brake pads mainly, the brake pads are tricky on a P5. The course is technical and hilly(ish) enough so even if I went with the road bike I wouldn't be giving away much. Another option is the P5 with the training wheels. Sure I'll see how I feel tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Do the race, race for a bit of fun. Get the good bike out and give it a good go. That thing has been sitting unused for long enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

So one min your saying the extra downtime can be boring then your saying setting up tt bike can be time consuming.....🀔

+1 on what Joey said

So one min your saying the extra downtime can be boring then your saying setting up tt bike can be time consuming.....��

+1 on what Joey said

:pac::pac: well pointed out Rob! Yeah, you guys are right.

Wednesday 5th July morning

Run Easy

Early morning again, just me and the bunnies. Two weeks into just easy running and trying to get consistent with it. The plan is still to run at least every second day.

Time 32:38; Dist 6.09km; Pace 5:21/km; AHR 148bpm; Cad 81bpm;

Gym

Roll
    Stretch
    Core

Swim threshold/CSS

The session:

Fresh and Fruity - Re-Sync

Part 1

• 100 easy freestyle
    • 100 pull buoy

Part 2

4 x
    4 x 100 (+15s)
    1. fins ↑ 6/1/6 ↓ freestyle
    2. fins ↑ Popov or broken arrow ↓ freestyle
    3. pull buoy ↑ steady ↓ fast
    4. freestyle building to fast pace

Part 3

2 x through entire set below @CSS/100
    • 4 x 50 (+5s)
    • 2 x 100 (+10s)
    • 1 x 200 (+ 15s)
    • 1 x 400 (+ 30s)

Tough session this. I was absolutely hanging during the 200 and 400 part second time around, see below, when the walkers descended upon me on mass! They seemed to come out of nowhere and just swarmed me. I had no hope, I was a goner and I knew it :( Then I was told it was aqua fit time, phew, live to fight another day :)

I do not understand why they must scarcifice the two fastest lanes for the class when there is already two lances gone and dedicated to walkers. Surely just leave the swimmers to swim and and do the class in the laneless section!! I mean they actually have to take up two lane ropes to accomodate the class - just do it where there are no lanes FFS!! Then when I moved - 75m into the second 400 rep, I had all these feckers just drift into the lane to get to the aquafit section!! Could all be avoided and minimal interuption for those of us who use the SWIMMING pool to actually swim. Anyway, lost my membership now, rang the NAC and once this month is up in Westmanstown I will be a member at the NAC again.

Apart from that the session went okay. Part 3 was more difficult than it looked. I held CSS for the 50's and most 100's but struggled with the 200's and really struggled with the 400's.

2 x through entire set below @CSS/100, my CSS is 1:40/100 (Actual in Red)
    • 4 x 50 (+5s) (1:40 - 1:41)
    • 2 x 100 (+10s) (1:38 - 1: 42)
    • 1 x 200 (+ 15s) (1:41 & 1:44)
    • 1 x 400 (+ 30s) (1:44 & 1:48)

Time 44:35; Dist 2600; Pace 1:43/100;

Although I failed towards the end, these sessions are not failures. They are making me fitter and stronger and I feel I will have a new 200 and 400 TT next week and therefore new CSS.

Next week is a recovery/test week and I'm feeling it now, getting tired. I am actually looking forward to this evening now, amazing what a good nights sleep can do. :) I'll go with the P5 and put on the race wheels if there is time, got stuff to do (for others as usual :rolleyes:).

Just a quick update...

I did the duathlon in the park last Wed and finished about 39th. 70th for first run, 20th on the bike and 51st for the 2nd run. The race really took it out of me though or more accurately I suppose the last few weeks. I wouldn't have thought that I had too much intensity in my training but I do, even a week on, feel very tired still. I just think I am paying now for basically have no base and 3 years of zero activity before then.

So going forward now I will just build a base and get ready for training in Oct/Nov. Keep things easy and just throw in some intensity if and when I feel like it, get in plenty of outdoor coffee spins and enjoy the trails and some OW swimming. No pressure on myself and target no races.

I laid out a plan a few posts back and the running races I think I will still do but 98% of my running will be easy and for enjoyment only until I feel that I can do a little more. As for the triathlon season I will try to do one more race, preferably an Olympic but maybe a sprint.

As for the log, I'll update when I feel there is training worth logging or a race or something. I don't thibk I have mentioned it here before but I have a big goal/target race next year - Alpe D'Huez Long Course Tri It would be great to have a few from here going...seed sown :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Just after catching up on this log now, El D, great entertainment over the past few pages :D. I would def not recognise you in that soccer photo! Great to see so many Boardsies still racing in the west, it would almost inspire a man to pull on a pair of runners! Best of luck with the training.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

ronanmac wrote: »
    Just after catching up on this log now, El D, great entertainment over the past few pages :D. I would def not recognise you in that soccer photo! Great to see so many Boardsies still racing in the west, it would almost inspire a man to pull on a pair of runners! Best of luck with the training.

Jesus. Look who it is.

ronanmac wrote: »

Well folks. Thanks Ronan great to hear from you dude!

So at the beginning of July I took the foot off on purpose. I felt a bit flat and I just wasn't recovering from intense or long sessions/races. I didn't have a winter/base training behind me you see and i think that caught up with me. Lots of intensity on top of zero base - bad idea. But it's cool, no harm done. This year was about getting my weight down, being active, healthy and happy and I have ticked those boxes already tbh.

All I have been doing in July and August is easy stuff. Easy miles on the bike, very little running and swimming. Did a very enjoyable IMRA trail run two weeks ago too.

In September I would like to do one more triathlon, that would be 4 for the year which I would not have believed back in Jan/Feb!! However there are none left that suit so...I may need to improvise :cool:

There is a cycle sportif up north on Sept 9th - Giants Causeway 187km...never done more than 130km in a day but feck it, take my time and I'll be grand, a good mate of mine and solid biker will help me through.

Hi folks.

I hope all are well. Just a quick update. Well, not really much in terms of training to update, actually sure here are is my average training hours per week by month since july:

August: 5 hours 56 minutes/week
    Sept: 1 hour 38 minutes/week
    Oct: 2 hours 40 minutes/week
    Nov: 2 hours 1 minutes/week

Jan to July: 5 hours 6 minutes/week

2017 to date: 4 hours 23 minutes/week

So although the second part of 2017 was not great, very inconsistent, when compared to previous years I can be very pleased:

April 2014 - Dec 2016: 0 hours 38 minutes/week

Glad to have done the 3 tri's and enjoyed them a lot. I set myself objectives in swimming which I exceeded twice, biking which I exceeded twice and running which I did not reach. In fact my swimming and biking was not too far from my peak in 2012/2013. The running just never got going so that will be the main focus for the next year I think. Biking and swimming seem to come easier to me but running is what I want to be best at. Nothing like that feeling when running just seems easy, distant memory now but definitely can be recaptured - even at 36!

The plan between now and Dec 31st is to make a plan every week and stick to it. This may even include Basketball training and games as I am seriously considering lacing up my Chuck Taylors again - just be nice to be part of a team. I will plan a day off each week. I went from 104kg down to 78kg in April and now I am 91kg. That is my main aim, get back down to 80kg. Then from Jan 1st continue with the consistent training until Feb 2nd and that is Base 1, day 1. There will be one rule that I will try to stick to no matter what and that is to run every second day at least. I want to also make my longer days longer as I want to move towards longer distance stuff. This means I will do less intensity. I have an eye on an IM in 2020 perhaps or a 100k/100 mile ultra. The ultra intrigues me more than an IM tbh. But...all that is a long way away.

First I am hoping to do a decent winter/base which just hasn't materialised yet, still hit and miss. This week I really felt motivated for the first time in a while but I have a cold now - typical.

I will update here as much as I feel like, more frequent = good sign, less frequent = not so good sign.

Wednesday 10th Jan 2108

The updates are not frequent so you know what that means! 5 hours put down in the whole month of Dec. At 92kg now too so that ain't good. So what do I do? Give up? Just give into an unhealthy, sedentary life? It's not really an option is it?

So, some basic enough goals:

Weight

Get my weight down to 80kg by April 6th, that's an average of a kilo a week

Swim

Target for this year is 208,000m, averaging about 4,000 a week.

Bike

Target for this year 110 hours, averaging just over 2 hours a week.

Run

Target for this year is 600km, averaging about 12km a week

These targets are very, very basic and were carefully considered. They represent a nice increase on last years totals. The weekly averages seem low but this takes into account low millage weeks like recovery weeks and the end of the year down time. Anyway, bottom line, if I hit those numbers I will be delighted.

I actually did about 5 hours last week and ended it by doing a park run. 23:57 was the time. Haven’t done a 5km since Feb 5th 2017. I was 10kg lighter then BUT 3 minutes slower! So I’m fitter now but heavier. Shifting the 10kg will get me under 20 minutes I believe. Next one in 4 weeks time, target is 22:30.

I made a rough plan for the year too, just a basic ATP on TP, which calls for 5 prep weeks before Base 1. Starting tomorrow

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Any plans for alp d'huez triathlon you were looking at last year??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

More comebacks than a boomerang

joey100 wrote: »
    Any plans for alp d'huez triathlon you were looking at last year??

This is definitely still in my head alright. I just need to see how the next 3 months go, if I am consistent I will book it up. It didn't sell out last year so I should be okay. I could pay up now and use that as motivation but that doesn't work for me - I've often paid for an event and not done it.

If things are going really well I may look at The Lost Sheep in September too. If things are going really, really well I may finish the year off with DCM - just to complete my first with no crazy time notions :)

Best of luck Joey with the new club!

rooneyjm wrote: »
    More comebacks than a boomerang

Indeed! :D I hope to just keep coming back until it sticks!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I signed up for Alpe d'Huez with the missus. Looking forward to the change in scenery this race will bring.

Those targets seem very soft compared to what you used to knock out El D :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

if i may say so isntit a bit ambitious to lose 12 k when overall you are not nearly as serious as you used to be . would 6 kg not be better ? its not like you will get back in 1 year at this stage it wil take you 3 years to be where you used to be ( and i dnt think you wantot get back there ) smaller realisitic steps might be more satisfying .

1kg of fat is approx 7700 kj so you have to lose 1100 a day at your training currently that means someting like living on 1000 kj a day ......
    of of curse all those ****e diets have magical gains but thats water loss not fat loss most of the time. i did a juce week and lost 6 kg they often tell me when i ask them 3 weeks later how are they i put it all back on lol
    if you really lose 1 kg a week most of the times it also impacts your training freshness etc half a kilo a week is attainalbe espcially for somebody like you that used to be skinny. but more is very hard work and maybe less diet and more energy to train might be better.

good luck you did look ok when i saw you in the park during the summer .
    Wednesday 10th Jan 2108

The updates are not frequent so you know what that means! 5 hours put down in the whole month of Dec. At 92kg now too so that ain't good. So what do I do? Give up? Just give into an unhealthy, sedentary life? It's not really an option is it?

So, some basic enough goals:

Weight

Get my weight down to 80kg by April 6th, that's an average of a kilo a week

Swim

Target for this year is 208,000m, averaging about 4,000 a week.

Bike

Target for this year 110 hours, averaging just over 2 hours a week.

Run

Target for this year is 600km, averaging about 12km a week

These targets are very, very basic and were carefully considered. They represent a nice increase on last years totals. The weekly averages seem low but this takes into account low millage weeks like recovery weeks and the end of the year down time. Anyway, bottom line, if I hit those numbers I will be delighted.

I actually did about 5 hours last week and ended it by doing a park run. 23:57 was the time. Haven’t done a 5km since Feb 5th 2017. I was 10kg lighter then BUT 3 minutes slower! So I’m fitter now but heavier. Shifting the 10kg will get me under 20 minutes I believe. Next one in 4 weeks time, target is 22:30.

I made a rough plan for the year too, just a basic ATP on TP, which calls for 5 prep weeks before Base 1. Starting tomorrow

:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Peter, excellent post, next time weight comes up in a more visible thread i'm going to copy that there, shame more won't see it given it's in a log

peter kern wrote: »
    if i may say so isntit a bit ambitious to lose 12 k when overall you are not nearly as serious as you used to be . would 6 kg not be better ? its not like you will get back in 1 year at this stage it wil take you 3 years to be where you used to be ( and i dnt think you wantot get back there ) smaller realisitic steps might be more satisfying .

1kg of fat is approx 7700 kj so you have to lose 1100 a day at your training currently that means someting like living on 1000 kj a day ......
    of of curse all those ****e diets have magical gains but thats water loss not fat loss most of the time. i did a juce week and lost 6 kg they often tell me when i ask them 3 weeks later how are they i put it all back on lol
    if you really lose 1 kg a week most of the times it also impacts your training freshness etc half a kilo a week is attainalbe espcially for somebody like you that used to be skinny. but more is very hard work and maybe less diet and more energy to train might be better.

good luck you did look ok when i saw you in the park during the summer .

Good point Peter for sure. My tarhet of 1kg a week is really only a soft target in that I don't really care if I lose 1kg a week or not - so long as I am losing weight that's what I do care about. Last year I lost 25kg in 16 weeks and I wasn't even training it was purely down to me making the right food choices. I guess my high metabolism kicked in or something and it was alarming how fast the weight came off.

So, taking on board your excellent advice, I will include some strength work to maintain and build muscle and increase my protein. Hopefully that will ensure a more steady, slower rate, of weight loss.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    I signed up for Alpe d'Huez with the missus. Looking forward to the change in scenery this race will bring.

Those targets seem very soft compared to what you used to knock out El D :)

Sweet...hopefully I will be there too!

Those targets would certainly be soft to a 2011-13 El D that's for sure! :rolleyes: However, that's not who I am anymore and I have to set targets from where I am today. I can't even think that way anymore or I'd despair :o I've been through the ringer quite a bit personally in the intervening years you see but, look, I'm glad to be just back where I'm active again and making some plans :)

(long may it last too :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Last year I lost 25kg in 16 weeks and I wasn't even training it was purely down to me making the right food choices.

Was that choice cake ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

I see no talk of any trails in there ED so I'll just leave this here and walk away.

Advertisement