Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

old ESB bill?

• 02-07-2014 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

i have a friend who had an esb bill unpaid at a previous adress about 200e about a year ago, if he now registers at his new address with esb will he get the old address bill added to his new address bill? do they link up? how long do they chase old bills for?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

fgob wrote: »
    i have a friend who had an esb bill unpaid at a previous adress about 200e about a year ago, if he now registers at his new address with esb will he get the old address bill added to his new address bill? do they link up? how long do they chase old bills for?

I'm always amazed at how the friends of internet forum users seem to manage to get into such trouble all the time, and how generous these forum users are that they use their own time to source advice for their friends ;)

The answer is yes, of course they will, and they will probably require the bill to be settled before they will connect it up. They will want either a 300 euro deposit or direct debit as well so you can't just give them a fake name or something. Your friend needs to learn that it is very important to pay your bills when you move out from a place, they don't just disappear, and if you leave them unpaid it only causes more hassle. Same with rent and damaging properties, if you don't pay rent on time or you damage the place then you can't use that landlord as a reference for the next place.

It's tough being a responsible adult and bills are expensive but you can't duck and dodge forever, you have to keep on top of these things. In the states they check your credit score for everything and all unpaid bills go against you, with a bad score you won't get a flat at all, or even a mobile phone.

But if you ring the ESB and talk to them, they are usually pretty good about working out payment plans. That's your best bet. If cash is tight be especially mindful of your usage for the first while so you can afford the repayments from your old bill on top of your new bill. 200 euro's not too bad, 20 quid a week for 10 weeks or something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 fgob

thanks sligoface i will pass that information on to my friend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

No problem. I'm guessing your friend moved back to Ireland with you from the UK like you said you just recently did, over in the State benefits forum:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

It was a 300 euro debt in the thread you put up yesterday in the newbies area!

no he was my old flat mate, i gave him the cash to pay it before i left but im after fining out he drank it and moved out shortly afterwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

no he was my old flat mate, i gave him the cash to pay it before i left but im after fining out he drank it and moved out shortly afterwards

Don't lend cash to friend, to fund an alcohol habit. A good friend would tell them to sober up.

thanks i will also passs this on

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

You could always ask for a pay as you go meter where you pay of the arrears and electricity as you use it and with that you don't need any deposit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@sligoface & magentis - Let's refrain from making pointed comments here, and using information from other forums to make inferences.

Let's stick to the side of honest, yet constructive feedback.

dudara

how about switching supplier?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

how about switching supplier?

Nope! They now cross reference with each other. Best to just pay your debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

sligoface wrote: »
    I'm always amazed at how the friends of internet forum users seem to manage to get into such trouble all the time, and how generous these forum users are that they use their own time to source advice for their friends ;)

The answer is yes, of course they will, and they will probably require the bill to be settled before they will connect it up. They will want either a 300 euro deposit or direct debit as well so you can't just give them a fake name or something. Your friend needs to learn that it is very important to pay your bills when you move out from a place, they don't just disappear, and if you leave them unpaid it only causes more hassle. Same with rent and damaging properties, if you don't pay rent on time or you damage the place then you can't use that landlord as a reference for the next place.

It's tough being a responsible adult and bills are expensive but you can't duck and dodge forever, you have to keep on top of these things. In the states they check your credit score for everything and all unpaid bills go against you, with a bad score you won't get a flat at all, or even a mobile phone.

But if you ring the ESB and talk to them, they are usually pretty good about working out payment plans. That's your best bet. If cash is tight be especially mindful of your usage for the first while so you can afford the repayments from your old bill on top of your new bill. 200 euro's not too bad, 20 quid a week for 10 weeks or something similar.
    Love it when there's sense spoken on this forum and the "Screw them, don't bother paying" stuff isn't resorted to. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

This post has been deleted.

And the OP is.

Advertisement