Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

quick plumbing question

• 02-07-2014 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

hi quick question with an easy answer for people in the know. i'm putting in a new washing machine and have run into a few problems already due to a cowboy fitting the previous one but my main concern is the cold water supply. is it normally fed by the tank water or mains water? there are no valves on the pipes themselves

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

lookitsme wrote: »
    hi quick question with an easy answer for people in the know. i'm putting in a new washing machine and have run into a few problems already due to a cowboy fitting the previous one but my main concern is the cold water supply. is it normally fed by the tank water or mains water? there are no valves on the pipes themselves

Usually cold mains water. Not because it has to be mains. We usually use mains because there is no tank fed cold supply downstairs. In other words we use cold mains because it is handier. ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

i was hoping that wasn't the case, any tips in freeing a seized mains water tap? i cant budge it and don't want to use to much force. its on its second spray of oil and still no movement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

i was hoping that wasn't the case, any tips in freeing a seized mains water tap? i cant budge it and don't want to use to much force. its on its second spray of oil and still no movement.

Try a few light taps of a hammer.
    If it was me I'd put a grips on it and use brute force. If you ever have a leak you'll need to shut it off in a hurry. If it won't budge you need to change it. You have to be able to shut it off in an emergency.

Are you a lucky householder that got a new water meter? If so then you can shut it off on the street with your hands. If not you will need a key

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Mains water is what is usually used, only because of the water pressure to fill the machine quicker, otherwise they take forever to fill.
    In most modern apartments you will find that the supply for the washing machine is taken from the cold water storage tank, but is delivered to the washing machine via a pressure boosting pump.

If you are going to try and force the valve to get it moving I would advise that you have the mains supply from the footpath turned off first in case something goes badly wrong.
    Best case scenario is you just sheer the head or the shaft on the valve, worse case is that you pull it from it's connection and start to flood your kitchen.
    If its really that bad you are better off having it replaced.

Advertisement