Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead Birds

• 02-07-2014 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I was out walking my dog on a field near our home and found a dead bird. Didn't think much of it other than to keep her away from it. I walk the same route nearly every day and 2 days later saw another dead bird about 2 feet away.

Contacted the Dept. of Ag as I assumed these are the people to deal with this if there was anything up and the birds disappeared about 2 days later.

That was over a week ago and now a couple of feet away from where the original two birds were, there's a dead tagged pigeon.

I know nothing about birds (and am making an assumption that this isn't exactly normal) and am wondering is the Dept. of Ag the right place to contact about this?

Cheers

*Edit* also I'm doubting the theory that it's a person harming the birds as the field is literally facing a big row of houses and it wouldn't be the smartest place to harm animals

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

Someone, in one of those houses, probably has an air rifle. That's why the birds are close together. He's likely targeting a particular tree from out of his upstairs window.

Stand still, right where ye finding the birds, and look directly at the houses. Ye'll quite likely be staring at the very one.

Just out of curiosity, a " Tagged " pigeon? Ring on its leg? I'm guessing it was a racer then. Coloured ring and maybe even a rubber band. Only, I'm a Bird Ringer (Licensed) and am always on the look out for birds with plain, gray metal rings on their legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 PyramidHead

Thanks for your reply! Never thought of someone doing from a house, my first thought was the open field but that actually makes more sense.

Yeah the pigeon has a coloured tag around each leg and one of them is numbered. I had thought maybe it was a racer but not sure if it should be reported somewhere or if there's even a facility for this?

Advertisement