Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Posting first website

Options
  • 02-07-2014 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭

I have what is probably a simple problem. I have already purchased the domain/url I want to function as the website, and I've created a very plain jane "under construction" page in Adobe Muse. What do I need to do to place this at the specified address? I do not have a dedicated web host. Would something like Google Sites work for this task?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

I think you need to ftp to the sites contents and "upload" files / folders / html / css / etc to there.

Either that or the domain name server will have a service or logon to do this? Not sure.

https://filezilla-project.org/ is probably the most popular. Enter in the url or ip any login details (username / password) and transfer the files that way.

Could be completely wrong though!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

For Google Sites: https://www.namecheap.com/support/knowledgebase/article.aspx/9252/2208/how-do-i-add-my-domain-to-google-sites. Doesn't work with custom built sites, just sites built with Google Sites.

No discussion allowed on Boards for recommending specific hosts, but you need somewhere to host your files. This can be the same provider as your domain registrar, but doesn't have to be. If it's not, you need to point your DNS records from your registrar to your host

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Get yourself a host like Blacknight for the 12 months for 50 odd quid.

Good thing they are on this site and will help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭shanefitz360

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I have a host, freehost.com, but cant seem to make the ends meet. Now trying to figure out how to get a domain to point at my host, the host doesn't seem to make DNS information very accessible, or Im going about this the wrong way

• Advertisement

Setup an account with Cloudflare.com(Free). Thats like a middle man for your DNS control that i think makes it easier to config.

Then get the IP address of your Hosting and add your domain to your Cloudflare account. it lets you know what you need to do as you go along. All the config will be with your Domain rather than your hosting company

Remember :

It can take up to 24 hours to propagate so dont expect it to work instantly even if settings are perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭House of Blaze

Could also try http://dyn.com/ if you're having dns trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Have you considered Heroku?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You'll find it much easier if you pay for your hosting rather than trying to cobble something together out of assorted free offerings. You can get a hosting package for less than the price of 2 cup of coffee a month.

Due to a longstanding Board rule, we can't recommend specific hosting providers but Google will help you narrow it down, then Google the name of the one you're considering. It won't take you long to work out the ones to avoid.

Graham wrote: »
    You'll find it much easier if you pay for your hosting rather than trying to cobble something together out of assorted free offerings. You can get a hosting package for less than the price of 2 cup of coffee a month.

Due to a longstanding Board rule, we can't recommend specific hosting providers but Google will help you narrow it down, then Google the name of the one you're considering. It won't take you long to work out the ones to avoid.

Hell still need to understand DNS if he pays for hosting. Either way hell need to do this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Hell still need to understand DNS if he pays for hosting. Either way hell need to do this.

Correct. If the hosting is paid for, he'll also have the tech support of his hosting provider.

True.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

thanks for the advice.

I got off the freehosting as over the weekend their servers kept taking a poo, and godaddy had a $12 special for the whole year of hosting, so I could hardly refuse that.

Using Muse I am able to grasp the ability to do text, links, widgets, etc. but I'd like to know if there are some standards to go by: like standard website width, or how you can alter your site layout based on the browser resolution (like boards.ie does)

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭House of Blaze

I would check out the 960 grid system and responsive design.

If you go to w3schools website you can see statistics of the most commonly used screen resolution etc, but to be goibg from phone res to screen res to tablet all with one codebase you will need to learn about and invest in responsive design.

Also twitter bootstrap has sone nice front end conventions you can make use of un this regard. Might be worth a look.

+1 for Twitter Bootstrap.

Id suggest looking for a series of Videos on Youtube and following it. Usually a 10 video series on building a basic site with Bootstrap or similar.

Also $12 for a year aint bad at all. Only problem with Godaddy is the constant Spam so id set up a filter to divert Godaddy emails. Problem is though that they also send you Renewal reminders so you cant just block the emails.

Advertisement