Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying Aer Lingus with a toddler & a baby

Options
  • 02-07-2014 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

We are flying Aer Lingus transatlantic with a toddler and baby (2 adults, 2 year old & 6 month old). When trying to book the bassinet seat and the three seats with it, I was told that I could only book two seats and the bassinet (for me, 2 yr old and baby) while my husband would sit in the seat behind me. I understand that they would ideally like to get another couple and baby the other two seats; but it would be very difficult for me to mind two children for a long flight (particularly take-off and landing) with my husband in a different row.

Sorry for the confusing explanation! Just trying to find the best/most comfortable way to fly with two kids.

Does anyone have experience or suggestions on the best way to do this?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Where are you flying to.
    Recently done Lanzarote with 11 month old. We were dreading it but it went very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

Same happened us. On the outward journey we got 3 seats together and the bassinet (which we didn't use - it was a day-time flight and baby napped in our arms). Coming back we gave up the bassinet in favour of all sitting together, the person in the 4th seat in our aisle asked to be seated elsewhere when he saw us, so thankfully baby ended up being able to sleep across me and the spare seat (it was a night-time flight so he slept 7hrs that way).

It's a tough call but for us i favoured all sitting together over having the bassinet.

If you really want the bassinet would you consider for 1 of you to sit with the bassinet and baby, and the other adult + toddler to sit together? At least that way ye are 1:1, parent:child?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 erinineire

@Koolkid- We're flying to Chicago. We have flown with one and found it fine; but it's the seating arrangement with the two babies that I'm really worried about.

@ariana- I think you're right re: opting to sit together without a bassinet rather than splitting up. I have thought about the two and two option, but wasn't sure which would be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

my wife flew RA last month with the 2 kids (6 months and 3 yrs) . I booked Airport Genie family assist to the gate which was fantastic. there was no way shed have managed security checks, folding buggies and taking out baby bottles on her own.

erinineire wrote: »
    @Koolkid- We're flying to Chicago. We have flown with one and found it fine; but it's the seating arrangement with the two babies that I'm really worried about.

@ariana- I think you're right re: opting to sit together without a bassinet rather than splitting up. I have thought about the two and two option, but wasn't sure which would be better.

It was Chicago we flew too as well. It can depend how full the flight is. Flying home we were put in separate aisles so at check-in we asked to be put together (and gave up the bulk-head bassinet seat) but as it happened there was a bulk-head seat and bassinet free so if i had been having trouble getting baby to sleep i still would have had the option of sitting up there on my own with him. But one disadvantage of the bassinet is every time there's turbulence they ask you to take baby out, whereas when he was lying across me he was still seat belted to me and i was able to sit him up more on my lap without waking him, so in the end he got a solid 7hrs sleep. And my older boy got a solid 7hrs sleep in the seat between me and their dad who also slept. It was only me that was awake the whole time :rolleyes:

It was our 2nd time doing it as well, we had done it with 1 infant and it was fine, i was very nervous this time but it was fine too. I would do it again.

• Advertisement

ariana` wrote: »
    It was Chicago we flew too as well. It can depend how full the flight is. Flying home we were put in separate aisles so at check-in we asked to be put together (and gave up the bulk-head bassinet seat) but as it happened there was a bulk-head seat and bassinet free so if i had been having trouble getting baby to sleep i still would have had the option of sitting up there on my own with him. But one disadvantage of the bassinet is every time there's turbulence they ask you to take baby out, whereas when he was lying across me he was still seat belted to me and i was able to sit him up more on my lap without waking him, so in the end he got a solid 7hrs sleep. And my older boy got a solid 7hrs sleep in the seat between me and their dad who also slept. It was only me that was awake the whole time :rolleyes:

It was our 2nd time doing it as well, we had done it with 1 infant and it was fine, i was very nervous this time but it was fine too. I would do it again.

Thanks ariana, hopefully our journey will be that good! We decided due to the dates and probablity the flight will be full, to book three seats together in row 9. We won't have a bassinet (unless like you say, it's free) but atleast we're together and have a bit of extra leg room.

erinineire wrote: »
    Thanks ariana, hopefully our journey will be that good! We decided due to the dates and probablity the flight will be full, to book three seats together in row 9. We won't have a bassinet (unless like you say, it's free) but atleast we're together and have a bit of extra leg room.

Best of luck, have a great trip ;)

ariana` wrote: »
    Best of luck, have a great trip ;)

Thank you!! Fingers crossed!

Advertisement