Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late night water work

Options
  • 02-07-2014 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭

Hey, wonder could some boardsies help me out. There has been a council crew outside all evening digging up the road. There was no notice given of this work. It is now gone 10 pm and they've just burst a water pipe. Our water is now gone, the noise is making it impossible to sleep and my wife and I have work in the morning. If the water remains gone, no shower either. Who do I call to totally abuse for this mess. Is there recourse I can take for this nonsense.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Where is it? I always thought no work could take place after 8pm, unless it's an emergency. Are the workmen still there? Perhaps you could ask them.

And I'd certainly call the council in the morning to complain!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Offhand, unless they've passed a by-law to allow them to breach it, there is a duty on those that are responsible for working at night to respect the local norms - ie if a residential area not to be operating heavy machinery.
    As was mentioned, it could just be an emergency repair and will not re-occur: but best bet to follow up with the council on this in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Morning all. Sorry never replied last night, we moved in to the back room and I left my phone behind. At 11pm they were still going strong so I got up and went out to them. In fairness to the guys working they were just "doing as ordered" and "they just want to go home too". However, that didn't mean they had to be letting out cheers every time they burst the pipe (or their attempt to fix it failed) or to be shouting at each other, roaring laughing etc.

They said they couldn't have done the job during the day due to traffic. I don't believe this, our street (Evergreen Rd) is very easy to bypass and is generally a quiet enough street.

There was heavy machinery. A big digger drilling a hole in the road (at least the drilling was at around 7pm) and then later (10-11:30 or so) digging up or filling in the hole. To top it off, they then had one of those machines that look like a lawnmower that you run over a surface to flatten it! We could still hear it from the back of the house. I make it about 12am that they finished up. At least the water was back this morning.

Who should I call in the council? TBH, I don't think I'm going to getting anything other than a "sorry for the inconvenience, what exactly do you want us to do now" response but I want to let them know this shouldn't have happened in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Did the workmen tell you who they were doing the work for? I'd call Environmental Health, first of all, purely because of the noise nuisance. They might also be able to tell you WHO was doing the work.

I would also get on to the local counsellors. They've just been elected and will be looking for brownie points.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Did the workmen tell you who they were doing the work for? I'd call Environmental Health, first of all, purely because of the noise nuisance. They might also be able to tell you WHO was doing the work.

I would also get on to the local counsellors. They've just been elected and will be looking for brownie points.

Never asked who they were working for but they all had the Cork City Council hi-vis vests on.

Cheers, I'll get on to Environmental Health and put my local counsellors to work :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Count yourself lucky they are fixing it. My water has been off 10 times since january, anything from a few hours to 2 days.
    Last year it was off 14 times. They keep patching up the cracks without fixing it.
    And they still expect us to pay water charges!!!
    CLOWNS!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Do road/water works really normally stop at 8pm? I know when they were working on one of the bridges by my place they worked (noisily, obviously and with glaring spotlighting) through the night, even though it wasn't emergency work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,030 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

They can and do works at night in residential areas all the time but, I believe, they are supposed to have a permit. Advance notice to residents is not required but may be given.
    A few years ago we had subcontractors resurfacing the road by our house. They blocked our street (not the one being redone), had a tractor right outside our bedroom window, running, all night and continued to work with heavy machinery until about 6am. We were given no advance warning but they did have a permit.

The most annoying thing is that the road didn't need resurfacing. It coming to the end of the year - I suspect council were just spending what was left of their budget.:mad:

Advertisement