Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Financial write off

• 02-07-2014 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi folks. i came off my Bandit 600 a while back and broke rear fairing and light and the handlebar hit the fuel tank and put a dent in it. also broke clutch lever, mirror, and peg on the same side. the insurance assessor has deemed the bike a financial write off and said it would cost more than the bike is worth to repair the damage but my problem is that ive repaired all damage at a total cost of 200 euro except the tank. is there any way i can have it inspected or some way of getting it back on the road??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

Yes you can put it back on the road. You'll need to check the salvage category with the Insurers but sounds like you'll be ok.

You'll more than likely also need an Assessors report to confirm it's roadworthy before they'll insure the bike again.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 muller25

Out of interest do you have comprehensive insurence and if it was a right off did they offer you money for a new one/replacement??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mickf479

Thanks folks. Bike was third party only. Forgot to mention it was not my fault i came off and im claiming from another insurance company.insurance offerd me the value of the bike but said i could keep the bike and salvage was offerd of 200 but id rather keep it. So is it the insurance company the place i should contact to get it back on the road??

• Registered Users Posts: 45 muller25

Correct me if I am wrong but you could take the money they offered for the write off and then buy the bike back off them. When someone crashed into my car they gave me money for the car and I had the option to buy the car back off them because they are just going to sell it to a a scrapyard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

mickf479 wrote: »
    Thanks folks. Bike was third party only. Forgot to mention it was not my fault i came off and im claiming from another insurance company.insurance offerd me the value of the bike but said i could keep the bike and salvage was offerd of 200 but id rather keep it. So is it the insurance company the place i should contact to get it back on the road??

They should have offered you the market value of your bike with the option to buy it, then you'd get market value less salvage and never except their first offers.

You'll need an engineers report to put it back on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They should have offered you the market value of your bike with the option to buy it, then you'd get market value less salvage and never except their first offers.

You'll need an engineers report to put it back on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mickf479

All i know is that there assessor valued the bike at 2000 before the crash and an offer of 200 for salvage.Nothing asked about buying it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

All i know is that there assessor valued the bike at 2000 before the crash and an offer of 200 for salvage.Nothing asked about buying it back.

As others have said, don't always accept their first offer. And do not sign anything which implies that they are no longer liable for injury's or future claims. You will need to fight them on that, you have no idea if your shoulder/arm/leg could give way on you after this for at least a few weeks.

Did you claim for replacement gear, helmet, gloves, jacket, pants etc? Your well within your rights, any significant impact or fall you need to replace it. You have no idea if the seams or padding will withstand more then one fall and manufacturers don't certify their equipment for any more then a single accident.

Advertisement