Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting hunting

Options
  • 02-07-2014 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi, a newbie here.
    Ive been reading Boards.ie for a long time, but never registered, so todays the day i coulnt find my answers from other people, so hi to all :)
    Ive been reading threads here all day, and im sort of getting an answer, but perhaps because the questions werent phrased the way id say them, im not finding an answer that is satisfying me.

I have read the BIG RED TITLE about obtaining and having a firearms licence and firearm.

Please keep in mind, im an 18yo, Irish citizen.

My questions are as follows;

1- When talking about keeping the firearms in the gun safe, it says that for a non restricted shotgun "must be disassembled, and stored separately." Does this only apply to shotguns?
    Does this also mean it does not have to be stored in the safe?

I might be making a stupid reading mistake though, but i tried to read over multiple times, and only when it spoke of 2 or more firearms, only then the gun safes that meet the requirements were mentioned.

2- So shooting isnt allowed anywhere, except, private lands (yours or with permission), Ranges, and Club grounds. Please correct me if im wrong at any stage.
    Im curious ... how hunting with a club works. If somebody could maybe explain.

3- I know there are many steps in the process of applying for a licence, and the whole thing is kind of backwards, but if its possible, could somebody maybe list them off in atleast an order or some sort....
    Its really wrecking my head that first you go pay a gun deposit, then buy membership, then apply to a licence you could be denied in...

Im thinking it would be 1- join club, 2- do a training course, 3- secure a deposit, and 4- apply for licence? Could be wrong.
    please correct me if im missing anything.

Thanks in advance!
    Vlad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭villa1979

what county u live in

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Vladpills wrote: »
    Hi, a newbie here.
    Ive been reading Boards.ie for a long time, but never registered, so todays the day i coulnt find my answers from other people, so hi to all
    Right back at ya. Welcome aboard.
    1- When talking about keeping the firearms in the gun safe, it says that for a non restricted shotgun "must be disassembled, and stored separately." Does this only apply to shotguns?
    Yes.
    That is the minimum level of security. So if you get the gun license and the Super (Garda) tells you that you must have a safe then you must get a safe.
    2- So shooting isnt allowed anywhere, except, private lands (yours or with permission), Ranges, and Club grounds. Please correct me if im wrong at any stage.
    On a range, club lands if you are a member of that club or any land(s) that you have permission to be on. Generally in written format.
    Clubs are made of local people that pay a fee each year. The club, during it's formation, has gathered lands from the area and written permission from the land owners to say any member of the club can shoot on these lands, and these lands only. If you have private permission outside of the club grounds than that is fine, but ONLY for you.

That;s basic, but should cover your question.
    3- I know there are many steps in the process of applying for a licence, and the whole thing is kind of backwards, but if its possible, could somebody maybe list them off in atleast an order or some sort....
    • Pick a gun/caliber.
    • Have range, club membership or private permission.
    • Do a competency course and get cert (if your first gun)
    • Apply for your license using the FCA1 form & competency cert.
    • If it's a rifle buy a safe. If it#s a shotgun wait until you are asked for anything over the basic level which is disassembled and a trigger guard.
    • Never pay the full cost of the firearm upfront. A small deposit of between 5-10% will suffice, and is usually refundable if you are refused a license.
    • If successful you'll receive a grant letter.
    • Pay the €80 fee at the post office and within a week you'll have the license.
    • Once you have the license go to the shop, pay the balance of the cost of the gun and bring home & enjoy.

In a nutshell.
    Its really wrecking my head that first you go pay a gun deposit, then buy membership, then apply to a licence you could be denied in...
    The deposit is kinda unavoidable. The membership to a club or range is only necessary if you don't have private permission. However there are some costs involved and yes, it's a chance you take to get the gun. However refusal is rare unless there is cause (conviction, charges pending, etc)
    Im thinking it would be 1- join club, 2- do a training course, 3- secure a deposit, and 4- apply for licence? Could be wrong.
    Close enough. See above.

It can seem daunting, but it's really not that hard. Once you have the first one under your belt the rest will come easy.And trust me there will be more. :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Hi, a newbie here.
    Ive been reading Boards.ie for a long time, but never registered, so todays the day i coulnt find my answers from other people, so hi to all
    Ive been reading threads here all day, and im sort of getting an answer, but perhaps because the questions werent phrased the way id say them, im not finding an answer that is satisfying me.

I have read the BIG RED TITLE about obtaining and having a firearms licence and firearm.

Please keep in mind, im an 18yo, Irish citizen.

My questions are as follows;

I might be making a stupid reading mistake though, but i tried to read over multiple times, and only when it spoke of 2 or more firearms, only then the gun safes that meet the requirements were mentioned.

Thanks in advance!
    Vlad.
    Hi just saw your post,welcome aboard,have not the time now to respond to your questions,but you will get a response from some members if not I will get back to you soon, again welcome aboard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭sniperman

hi lad and welcome.i think cass has just about covered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Glenbulldog

Was the same myself not that long ago but the lads here helped me to no end I'm sure they will do the same for you welcome aboard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Welcome lad

Cass covered it there.

By the way.
    No such thing as a stupid question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭TriggerPL

Welcome , cass covered everything ,

I will add that cass said that if you have land owners permission then u don't need to join a club , which is completely correct . But if you decide to go down this route . Take out insurance no matter what . Although not a legal requirement, Garda and even the farmers will be easier to deal with when they know your covered in event of an accident

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Kiltris

Welcome aboard newbie! You will be well looked after on here with any questions you may have, for now cass has it fairly well covered.

It's a long time ago now since most of these lads applied for their first licence, including myself, but what a feeling when you do get it sorted, you'll never have a boring evening again. There is always some quarry to be chasing!

Hope it all works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭garyc007

Welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Vladpills

Hi everyone! Thank you very much for your helpful answers.

That was exactly the explanation i was hoping for Cass, so thank you again.
    Think I now more or less get the jist of the general idea and what needs to be done.

Now just to go ahead and get cracking on the three hundred steps towards the licence and i actually might have a chance of hunting before october :P

TriggerPL mentioned that if hunting on yours or someone elses land with their permission, you're better off getting an insurance.
    Im looking to get into hunting fairly seriously, so im gonna take all the safety precautions, but just curious...

If you join, a club, are you covered on their insurance policy as far as I understand?
    Also, what would be the average cost of an annual membership cost?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

If you join, a club, are you covered on their insurance policy as far as I understand?
    Yes.

The club will be affiliated (mostly) to a group such as the NARGC which provide a compensation fund for clubs and their members. They don't offer individual coverage, but other companies do. Such as Countryside Alliance, etc.
    Also, what would be the average cost of an annual membership cost?
    The insurance per person is €55 per year. This is included in your membership fee, but DOES NOT include your club membership fee.. So club fees could be an additional €35 - €950 per year. So you can expect to pay between €90 - €150 per year for club membership and insurance/coverage.

If you have private permission and go through an "independent" insurance group the cost is between €35 - €65 per year. No membership fees.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Just a little info on NARGC clubs. Once you live in the locality and have your local permission and gun/permit they should not be refusing you membership. New members are generally accepted at the club AGM so you missed the boat this year as most clubs will have already had their AGM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭ESB Spaniel

Welcome aboard and safe shooting

Advertisement