Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boiling an egg… please help

Options
  • 02-07-2014 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

hi all,
    I cook every meal in our home for my wife and two kids and am always trying new things, but the one thing I can never master is a 'soft boiled egg' thats goey enough to dip but doesn't have any 'clear' white. It always comes out either over done and hard or under done and still a bit raw. I have tried the method in Delias Cookbook to no avail. Can anyone please tell me a sure-fire way of always getting the perfect gooey boiled egg.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Guffy

Bring the water to the boil first.. then put the egg into the pot. Start with 5 mins (does be more or less perfect for me then take half a second off or add one depending on how you like it... also mine are cooked from room temperature (are yours kept in the fridge?)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭greasepalm

does size matter,if using smaller eggs less time and larger longer.

I would guess so... I generally just use large galway free range eggs...

Ye know there are apps where you can enter the details and the type of boiled egg you want and it will time it for you. You put in the size, the number of eggs and consistency you require and it will give you a timer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Keep your eggs in the cupboard, not the fridge.

Boil water in small pan, add 2 eggs. 5 mins. More eggs = longer time.

I use medium eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

7 minutes from scratch for medium eggs. That's from the fridge. I much prefer timing from scratch as it means I don't have to constantly watch the pot. That's for 2 eggs. If you've more water obviously you'll need more time but if I'm doing more eggs I just use another small pot and stick to my 7 minutes!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Bostonbabe

Pierce pin hole in the wide end of the egg and then place into boiling water for 3 mins. Make sure your eggs are always stored at room tempreture.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

This last has an interesting and slightly different way of doing it. Seems to work. :)

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/02/make-soft-boiled-eggs/

Also a great little site for great low budget recipes. :)

vibe666 wrote: »
    This last has an interesting and slightly different way of doing it. Seems to work. :)

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/02/make-soft-boiled-eggs/

Also a great little site for great low budget recipes. :)

But it would be cold :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

gufc21 wrote: »
    But it would be cold :o

No, only the outside gets cold.

Advertisement