Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using leftover bags of grain for a tiny mini-mash?

Options
  • 02-07-2014 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

I have a few leftover bags of grains and I'd like to use them up as I suspect they'll never be used otherwise. I have the following:

700g CaraMunich
    400g CaraWheat
    450g Roasted Chocolate Malt

I also have a few sachets of S33 and loads of EC1118. Any ideas as to what beer I can brew with them? Ideally I'd like to do a tiny grain only mash, but if someone has a better idea I'll go with that. Basically I want to brew with just the ingredients I have to hand. I know the roasted chocmalt can't all be used as it's way too dark. but that's fine.

Oh yeah, and I don't have any hops so I'll be using heather tips (the ones for cooking, not smelling). The joys of being unemployed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Do you have any extract or base malts to go with those?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Why are you trying to use them up? They are all very versatile specialty malts, and especially handy for extract brewers.

Cara malts will promote head retention in beer, and give the beer some body. I can imagine the cara wheat being especially useful in keeping wheat beers sweet (and wheaty). And chocolate malt is the go to grain for adding colouring.

And yes, those grains wont mash on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Hingo

You should check out the headline bar if your Dublin based, they sell the makings for doing I gal batches of all grain if you want to start all that lark. (They might sell online, worth a google anyway) you could use those grains along with some base malt to get some decent brews going.
    IMO, keep the grains for another extract batch, but if your reason for posting this is that your looking to move to all grain, just go for it and get a mash tun, it's a lot easier than it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Hingo

http://truebatchbrew.com/ - these are the lads that sell 1 gallon AG kits - if you already have most of the equipment, €15 will get you the base malts, specialty grains, & hops you need to brew a small AG batch.

Advertisement