Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video Games : The Movie

Options
  • 03-07-2014 6:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

I hadn't seen any posts or info related to this on here, so here you go.
    If I'm mistaken, mods, please delete the thread..
    From executive producer Zach Braff comes an epic feature-length documentary chronicling the meteoric rise of video games from nerd niche to multi-billion dollar industry. Featuring in-depth interviews with the godfathers who started it all, the icons of game design, and the geek gurus who are leading us into the future, VIDEO GAMES: THE MOVIE is a celebration of gaming from Atari to Xbox, and an eye-opening look at what lies ahead.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Watched this last night. Wasn't that great to be honest. Too much "Gaming isn't just for nerds!" and not enough about gaming itself. To be honest, if you're into gaming, the documentary doesn't add anything you wouldn't know already. And if you're not into gaming, I don't think it offers enough to hold your attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah it's pretty boring

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm waiting for Video Games: The Movie: The Game.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭ItsShane

Watching this documentary, I felt like I had seen it before.
    A lot of these documentaries are very similar.

*briefly talk about pong
    *show animated tinelime
    *move to atari
    *show animated timeline

And so on.

Anybody able to recommend one that feels a little different? What's the best documentary? I enjoyed How Video Games Changed The World.

ItsShane wrote: »

*briefly talk about pong
    *show animated tinelime
    *move to atari
    *show animated timeline

And so on.

Anybody able to recommend one that feels a little different? What's the best documentary? I enjoyed How Video Games Changed The World.

The trouble with this doc was that they established a timeline but then kept moving up and down it like a yo-yo, which meant the timeline graphic they made was largely irrelevant, yet it was made to be very prominent. It was all over the place.

Is that "How Video Games Changed The World" the one Charlie Brooker did for Channel 4? I definitely much preferred it. It was a great watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

*briefly talk about pong
    *show animated tinelime
    *move to atari
    *show animated timeline

And so on.

Chasing Ghosts and The King of Kong both very good

Cheers will have a look for em today!
    Penn wrote: »
    The trouble with this doc was that they established a timeline but then kept moving up and down it like a yo-yo, which meant the timeline graphic they made was largely irrelevant, yet it was made to be very prominent. It was all over the place.

Is that "How Video Games Changed The World" the one Charlie Brooker did for Channel 4? I definitely much preferred it. It was a great watch.

Yes the timeline just got very annoying. There was no need to keep going back and forth. I don't get why they couldn't cover the 70's while they were on it. Same goes for all of the decades.

Yes that was Charlie Brooker!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Indie Game: The Movie is also excellent.

These 'general overview' sorts of documentary are never going to be particularly enlightening, unless there's a genuine depth of analysis as opposed to bland cliff notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

Cheers will have a look for em today!

Just watched the trailers I will have to watch them again, both very enjoyable

Don't search anything on The King of Kong until you watch it

King of Kong is brilliant :D

• Advertisement

That's my viewing sorted for the next couple of days! Cheers! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Reading a few reviews on this and it's getting my hopes up. Just wanted to watch an enjoyable romp through what makes developers tick, not voxpops or talking heads of the "I used to play this" and "It was all the rage" variety.

Suppose you need specific movies about those. +1 for King of Kong. Highly enjoyable if a little dramatic.

Also, Indie Game The Movie is great. Really shows the ups and downs of smaller dev's doing it for the freedom of new ideas (and to see how strange Phil Fish is).

I'd actually say that the Minecraft documentary was enjoyable....what? It was!

Just wanted to watch an enjoyable romp through what makes developers tick, not voxpops or talking heads of the "I used to play this" and "It was all the rage" variety.

In fairness, the talking heads they did get did seem very knowledgeable and seemed like proper gamers, as opposed to some D-listers who are just there because they were available and cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

King of Kong is a great movie.

Indie Game is also pretty cool, bought myself super meat boy after watching it...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Ecstacy of Order: The Tetris Masters is another great doc.
    Indie Game: The Movie is also excellent.

Except Phil Fish is in it. Annoying as hell he was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Oh, that reminds me.

The origins of Tetris! This is / was a great doc.

Tetris: From Russia with Love.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

'100 Yen: The Japanese Arcade Experience' is pretty decent, obviously very specific towards japanese arcade shooters & fighting games.

http://www.100yenfilm.com/

'The King of Chinatown' is also somewhat amusing but very specifically fighting games, mostly street fighter.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1651898/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Life 2.0 is interesting, but should have been shorter, not exactly great either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Primarily about the history of competitive fps in particular quake and cs. Follows the rise and fall of cpl.

Another cs centric doc detailing the rivalry between two of the bigger american cs teams; complexity and team 3d.

Follows 3 prominent dota players in the buildup to a million dollar tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I enjoyed this for what it was I have to say, watched it with the little lads as they had no clue where gaming started other than their Wii firstly, followed by Xbox 360, the kids loved it....

They had heard of SNES and Megadrive before so was good to show them the origins of gaming in an easy to watch movie...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Perkinstock

Thank goodness, I thought it is just me, and yeah it’s kinda boring,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yes these catch all documentaries are too wishy washy whereas if they had concentrated on the one subject like the life of Atari or any of the other consoles or areas of gaming it would make a much better watch

Advertisement