Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timer Immersion switch?

Options
  • 03-07-2014 7:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭

I have a standard on/off bath/sink switch in my hot press, is it possible to get a switch with a timer say 1 hour or 2 hour duration? Reason I ask is because we always forget to turn it off in the morning.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

GIMP wrote: »
    I have a standard on/off bath/sink switch in my hot press, is it possible to get a switch with a timer say 1 hour or 2 hour duration? Reason I ask is because we always forget to turn it off in the morning.

Yep. I have it. Got it in nd electrical I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭GIMP

Yep. I have it. Got it in nd electrical I think

Could you give me more information please a picture would help, are they simple enough to fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,092 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Go to a good electricical wholesalers & ask for a digital boost timer for the immersion. Mine is a Sangamo. Easy to install. Live, neutral & earth in. Live, Neutral & earth out. Expect to pay €50 to €70. Make sure you get one with digital timer as well as boost button. Some of the cheaper ones only have boost button

GIMP wrote: »
    Could you give me more information please a picture would help, are they simple enough to fit?

Sure. I put it in between the mains and the regular immersion switch. Then l leave the immersion switch on permanently. The timer controls when the power goes to the switch.

Sure. I put it in between the mains and the regular immersion switch. Then l leave the immersion switch on permanently. The timer controls when the power goes to the switch.

So the timer has the mains in and then out to switch. Thay extra white wire is just some earthing to the pipes

edit. I'm not an electrician.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Is the OP not looking for a replacement with a built in timer rather than an additional switch? I'd like to get the former too if such a thing exists.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Is the OP not looking for a replacement with a built in timer rather than an additional switch? I'd like to get the former too if such a thing exists.

You've a point. I'm not sure :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

ThisRegard wrote: »

Would it not be cheaper to just get a timer especially if existing switch is working fine.

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Would it not be cheaper to just get a timer especially if existing switch is working fine.

Yes & simple to install

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Go to a good electricical wholesalers & ask for a digital boost timer for the immersion. Mine is a Sangamo. Easy to install. Live, neutral & earth in. Live, Neutral & earth out. Expect to pay €50 to €70. Make sure you get one with digital timer as well as boost button. Some of the cheaper ones only have boost button

what is the model number you got.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I thought it would be easier to just switch one for another.

Will the boost on this.... boost both the sink or bath or is it sink only.

Will the boost on this.... boost both the sink or bath or is it sink only.

You have the fuse at the fuse box, then the timer & then the bath / sink switch.
    This boost timer turns power on & off to the bath / sink switch.
    IIf you have the switch set to sink then the timer will work for the sink.
    IIf you have the switch on bath then the timer sends power to the bath.

So the boost timer will work for bath or sink. It's up to you how you want to set it.

If you are not sure about it, it is always better getting an electrician to fit it. I'm not an electrician so I can't say for sure but I'd imagine they will only charge you a basic call out price to fit it. (feel free to correct me here guys)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Yes & simple to install

Agree,
    But it's illegal if not installed by an electrican. As it's classed as a heavy load and comes under new electrical rules.
    This rule is not to pee people off, but to save lives.
    You'd be horrified if you saw all the bad and dangerous job I have to fix, bad loose wires, covers missing off immersions, covers and switches held together with selotape because DIY idiots lost the screw.
    Not the only one their missing !!!!

Professionals here on boards are good but we have to point out the law and the dangers + not give advice on something dangerous and against current regulations to non qualified DIY' ers
    Sorry.

I did suggest he get an electrician. From his last question I assumed he shouldn't be doing it himself.

Now if its illegal or not is a different matter. I own a shower repair & installation business & I was very concerned about it might affect me. I contacted Commission of energy regulation (phone number found on safe electric website).

I am still aloud to put in a 3 amp spur for a power shower or pump, change immersion, replace immersion switch, install immersion timer & replace 45 / 50amp pull cord switch for electric shower. I am not aloud work on a fuse box. I have never done this anyway. So long as I am a competent individual.

For a full electric shower installation We always have a reci electrician on the fuse box. Client gets certs etc.

In short the new regulations don't effect me too much

As I say I did suggest that they gen an electrician to fit the timer as they did not sound a competent individual.

Was I right to assume that an electrician would fit this timer for their usual call out fee?

Fitting a timer is a small job and shouldn't be expensive.
    The + side of calling a professional like yourself is that we know what were doing, and are qualified + insured.

The advantage also been a safety check, how many times over the years have you been called to a job only to spot something totaly seperate and dangerous that the householder didn't realise.
    The world ain't perfect and never will be, but all we can do is try.
    Sorry I didn't spot your post on recommending a sparks.
    We just have to keep reminding punters here that's all, some of their ideas are crazy at times, quite amusing if not so dangerous !
    See ya.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

scudo2 wrote: »
    it's classed as a heavy load and comes under new electrical rules.
    what rule is this?

scudo2 wrote: »
    Fitting a timer is a small job and shouldn't be expensive.
    The + side of calling a professional like yourself is that we know what were doing, and are qualified + insured.

The advantage also been a safety check, how many times over the years have you been called to a job only to spot something totaly seperate and dangerous that the householder didn't realise.
    The world ain't perfect and never will be, but all we can do is try.
    Sorry I didn't spot your post on recommending a sparks.
    We just have to keep reminding punters here that's all, some of their ideas are crazy at times, quite amusing if not so dangerous !
    See ya.

In a bedsit I've seen a triton t90 fed from a double socket! I cut all the cables as short as I could at the shower & socket & told them to get an electrician to do it properly before I repair shower. She never called me back.:D

Another Bathroom had a socket in the ceiling in the shower cubical. I just walked out. I felt I couldn't do anything with his shower not knowing if it was safe from the fuse box. If that house burnt down after I worked on the shower I could be blamed. Again told him to call an electrician first to make sure it was safe (& to take out the socket). He never called me back. :D

I am stunned sometimes on boards.ie. Some people obviously haven't a clue, asking how to put in extra sockets etc. Even without the new law some of these members should be told point blank get an electrician. At least in the plumbing section if they muck it up they might flood their house. On the electricial section they could kill themselves & their family, just so they can save a few bob.

In a bedsit I've seen a triton t90 fed from a double socket! I cut all the cables as short as I could at the shower & socket & told them to get an electrician to do it properly before I repair shower. She never called me back.:D

Another Bathroom had a socket in the ceiling in the shower cubical. I just walked out. I felt I couldn't do anything with his shower not knowing if it was safe from the fuse box. If that house burnt down after I worked on the shower I could be blamed. Again told him to call an electrician first to make sure it was safe (& to take out the socket). He never called me back. :D

I am stunned sometimes on boards.ie. Some people obviously haven't a clue, asking how to put in extra sockets etc. Even without the new law some of these members should be told point blank get an electrician. At least in the plumbing section if they muck it up they might flood their house. On the electricial section they could kill themselves & their family, just so they can save a few bob.

A lot of unchecked (properly) dangerous boilers out there producing carbon monoxide.

• Advertisement
Advertisement