Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegtables going to flower :(

• 03-07-2014 8:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭

No clue why my turnips were flowering. Was away for a week got back and the cabbage is at it now. Any clues why.

DECEA1A4-E8B8-4C1B-96C5-3AC33614FCA2-238-000000206F442018_zpsa459c012.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

It's usually down to stress of some description. Can you think off anything that wouldn't have suited them? Too hot, cold, dry, wet, too fertile, not fertile enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Sligoronan

Might have over done the FYM. That's about all I can think of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭KAGY

Sligoronan wrote: »
    No clue why my turnips were flowering. Was away for a week got back and the cabbage is ...

Raised beds can dry out a little quicker. Would they have dried out while you are away?
    If it was too much fym (is there such a thing? ) a year or two will sort that out, esp if you are doing a crop rotation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

At least you'll be able to produce your own seeds for next year. :)

I've no idea why they would flower so early. They usually have to overwinter to produce flowers -> seeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Could have been the hot and dry spell we had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Its been exceptionally dry for the last few weeks, coupled with raised beds and warm temperatures, I'd say water stress is definitely feasible. I'm watering my veggies every few days and even so all my Chinese cabbages bolted this year.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Souness

Spinach bolted on me last week too, was the prolonged heat/dry spell I would say.

Advertisement