Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CI President's update and online survey

• 03-07-2014 8:49am
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Not really a "website woe", so I'll put this link into it's own thread!

So Denis Toomey has had over 6 months to settle into his role as President of CI, and has published a message to members

Membership is up again this year with over 20,000 signed up for the first time.

However there are still signs of discontent that we sometimes see being aired here, be it problems with the website, or general issues with communicating with CI. They are launching a survey to get some feedback in certain areas, and also give members (and indeed non-members) the opportunity to highlight areas for improvement

The survey is here

I would encourage as many of you to participate as can. This is the new President's first term, and he's committed to gaining feedback from the membership on what CI can do that it's not doing, and where there is room for improvement. It's your chance to have a say, and also be in with a chance to win a Drag Master Pro Racing Bike

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Filled out the survey, but as a non-club, non-competitive leisure cyclist, can 't really see what CI membership has to offer me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I have a CI license because it is required for Audax events (I am not a member of Audax IE) and includes personal accident and public liability insurance. Otherwise I don't even see a point checking the website...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

smacl wrote: »
    Filled out the survey, but as a non-club, non-competitive leisure cyclist, can 't really see what CI membership has to offer me.

Membership is 20€
    If you do 4 sportives during the year you have saved the membership price right there.
    You are also insured, possibly limited enough insurance but however it's there.
    It's better to have than not :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Filled that out. Thanks for the link. Recommended they get someone on boards.ie to listen to what's going on on the ground as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Filled that out. Thanks for the link. Recommended they get someone on boards.ie to listen to what's going on on the ground as such.

They had. But they didn't like what he had to say. Or, the opposite rather!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

I'm the same but i am a member as i do try and do a couple of sportives a year and the insurance is useful to have

Done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Done.

If you have anything to say, put it down in the survey and then CI will know, otherwise they won't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Well one of the main things you get is the insurance which gives you some personal injury and 3rd party liability. For me alone that's well worth the €20/€25.

You also get reduced fees on some leisure events and are able to partake in the educational programmes that CI organise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Junior

I found that the "other" section wasn't long enough to give a detailed comment or feedback suggestion ..

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

One of the things they are looking at though is how they can improve things for members, so any suggestions as to what will encourage more to join will help.

They have an introductory licence which only costs €20, and moving on you can then get a non-competitive licence for €25 (€35 in Ulster), so it seems to me that it's worth most cyclists joining up for the insurance cover alone. However it can then start costing more if you join a club for example. Maybe CI should be encouraging more clubs (than currently do) to provide additional support, particularly for youths, women etc. CI itself is the umbrella organisation with limited resources of its own to spread around a lot of areas, and I do feel some clubs have a lot more to offer (and I along with a number of others are attempting to widen the appeal of my own club for example). Some clubs, I will readily acknowledge, already have a wide appeal due to the efforts the volunteers within those clubs have made over the years

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Well one of the main things you get is the insurance which gives you some personal injury and 3rd party liability. For me alone that's well worth the €20/€25.

As a matter of interest though, as a club cyclist you get cover for training spins or anything out with the club, whatever that may be. As a leisure license holder though, I get the impression that the insurance is for events only, not on the spin down to it, not for any training you might do for that event, I could be wrong but its not general cycling insurance but I could be wrong.

The license is very useful for organisers as it is alot less paperwork than an unlicensed rider paying one day insurance and I know Audax Ireland really tried to encourage people to join for this reason..

As a leisure license holder though, I get the impression that the insurance is for events only, not on the spin down to it, not for any training you might do for that event,

Hmmm... can anybody clarify this?

I was under the impression it was even training for leisure events ?

just sen this on CI site

'This is a leisure licence, and it covers you while you are out training, on club spins, and while participating in leisure tours.'
    http://www.cyclingireland.ie/page/membership/types-of-membership

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭fortis

Done

Thanks for the heads up beasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭nilhg

From here

Personal Accident covers all registered Cycling Ireland members of each affiliated Club (including committee members, coaches and officials) for a range of benefits payable in the event of an accidental injury during participation, including training and travelling to and from events or training sessions. Training is deemed to be official sanctioned training only. Travelling is only covered whilst as a member of an organised party under the direction of the Insured, and specifically excludes any travel by motorcycle.

Bolding is mine, not quite sure what official sanctioned training is....

nilhg wrote: »
    From here

That sucks then ... as a non competitive licence holder its not worth it ... think i'll opt out then at the end of year then .. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

as far as i remember it was clarified that commuting was considered training, but don't hole me to that.

I'm none the wiser.... time to give them a call them I guess.

I just dropped them a mail asking .. but will probably take a little while for an answer back

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

nilhg wrote: »
    From here

Personal Accident covers all registered Cycling Ireland members of each affiliated Club (including committee members, coaches and officials) for a range of benefits payable in the event of an accidental injury during participation, including training and travelling to and from events or training sessions. Training is deemed to be official sanctioned training only. Travelling is only covered whilst as a member of an organised party under the direction of the Insured, and specifically excludes any travel by motorcycle.

Also suggests the insurance is only valid to affiliated club members.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭buffalo

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    They had. But they didn't like what he had to say. Or, the opposite rather!

They liked what he didn't have to say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

for what its worth, Athletics Ireland insurance covers training only at training sessions organised by affiliated clubs

tried 3 times...
    "we're not available to take your call at the moment"

lennymc wrote: »
    as far as i remember it was clarified that commuting was considered training, but don't hole me to that.

Those in a club could just get someone to say that it was training*. If your unaffiliated, who is the sanction-er of the training, yourself, or can you not get sanctioned training, ergo no insurance outside of events.

*not saying it wasn't, just that it would be easier to prove as a club member as you would just need a club official to confirm it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

you are covered when training even if you are non competitive. that has been answered 100 times already.

you are covered when going out with a club without a licence but for a max of 3 spins iirc. the club must keep a record when you go out with them.

morana wrote: »
    you are covered when training even if you are non competitive. that has been answered 100 times already.
    Sorry Morana, its just some people seemed under the impression it was in all scenarios and may say that they were going to work or the shops and not training, in which case they would not be covered if I understand correctly.
    Although, for me, everytime I ride my bike its training, so I am always covered. Just on the record, if I am on my bike, I am training or taking part in an event.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

lennymc wrote: »
    That was certainly considered to be the position in the past (if it was part of your "training regime"). It's possible though that this is new wording. It also appears that 3rd party cover is not restricted in this may.

I would add that this is also not the insurance document itself, it's simply a "summary of cover". I know there are important issues that may not be covered in that summary (the insurers require details of a claim to be lodged within a month for example, but I can find no mention of this anywhere on the CI website)

Interestingly the IVCA cover is wider (or was last time they published the policy on their website), and applies whenever "mounting onto, dismounting from and riding" a bike

buffalo wrote: »
    They liked what he didn't have to say?

No. He didn't like what they had to say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

Beasty wrote: »
    Interestingly the IVCA cover is wider (or was last time they published the policy on their website), and applies whenever "mounting onto, dismounting from and riding" a bike

So would it cover you if you were running cyclocross style with the bike on your shoulder? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

No. Cyclocross is for the Belgians

The online survey they did attracted 2,500 responses, mainly from members, but also with a significant number of non-members contributing

The next stage of the process is outlined here

Basically there will be meetings arranged in each province as follows

9 September - Ramada Hotel, Belfast
    10 September - Red Cow Hotel, Dublin
    16 September - Shearton Hotel, Athlone
    17 September, Charleville Park Hotel, Cork

Anyone interested in attending can register their interest via the above link. There is also a summary of the key findings of the survey in that link.

I would encourage anyone with an interest in cycling and it's future across Ireland to consider heading off to one of these events. Membership of CI is not a prerequisite, and if you feel there are areas that CI can improve its services to members and help formulate CI's strategy over the next decade please make the effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

The online survey they did attracted 2,500 responses, mainly from members, but also with a significant number of non-members contributing

The next stage of the process is outlined here

Basically there will be meetings arranged in each province as follows

9 September - Ramada Hotel, Belfast
    10 September - Red Cow Hotel, Dublin
    16 September - Shearton Hotel, Athlone
    17 September, Charleville Park Hotel, Cork

Anyone interested in attending can register their interest via the above link. There is also a summary of the key findings of the survey in that link.

I would encourage anyone with an interest in cycling and it's future across Ireland to consider heading off to one of these events. Membership of CI is not a prerequisite, and if you feel there are areas that CI can improve its services to members and help formulate CI's strategy over the next decade please make the effort.
    Nice of them to think of us in the West.

WillyFXP wrote: »

Sure Athlone is only a stone's throw from you.

WillyFXP wrote: »
    Tell you what - I'll put in the effort to travel from the east cost to Athlone for this year's CI AGM, if you're prepared to travel from Galway to Athlone to make your representations on the future of cycling in Ireland. Is it a deal?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

Tell you what - I'll put in the effort to travel from the east cost to Athlone for this year's CI AGM, if you're prepared to travel from Galway to Athlone to make your representations on the future of cycling in Ireland. Is it a deal?

Ah now, in fairness ..... draw a line from Belfast to Cork, through Athlone, and you have by far the biggest 'half' of the country without a venue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

The findings summary is very interesting overall. For me the most striking thing includes the high demand for lobbying and not a lot on competition. These would be big shifts in mindset for CI. Fair play for undertaking the process - changing things will be harder.

Advertisement