Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One Session! What workout would you do?

• 03-07-2014 9:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Couldnt really think of a suitable title. Here goes. Back in gym about 3 months, doing 2/3 sessions a week bout 40 mins to an hour. Main breakdown is

day 1
    stretch, then back and shoulders various excercises (ive to do alot on shoulders due to injuries) core and then another round of back and shoulder.
    Day 2
    Arms and Chest, usually bench, curls and dips or wieghts for triceps, AB roller, kettle bell squats, finish with chin ups burpees.
    Day 3
    Usually alot of foam rolling and limbering stretches and bits of core and squats at home.

My post is that i've started back playing football in the meanwhile and between a few other tasks, i've missed out on an entire week and going this evening so just want a upkeep session. have a game tomorrow night so If you had one session for the week what would you do?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I'd not worry about it.

A week and a session is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

And anything you do "hard" will leave you tired for you match tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Hanley wrote: »
    I'd not worry about it.

A week and a session is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

And anything you do "hard" will leave you tired for you match tomorrow.

Thanks, i might leave that for saturday so. Limber 11 it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Time off by design is often the best thing for progression.

Mellor wrote: »
    Time of my design is often the best thing for progression.

I dont quite follow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Deco99 wrote: »
    I dont quite follow?
    Sorry, auto correct messed it around.
    Programming in time off on purpose can be beneficial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭sweetthing

THis actually sounds like a good topic for discussion.

Like say, if you had only one day a week where you could work out, what would you do?

i would imagine, one workout a week is never goin to be as balanced and beneficial as say 2/3, unless you did some other form of excercise, hill walking/team sports, then one gym sesh probably compliments that. For me i was doing 3/4 days gym when i got back into it and i've now got 2/3 soccer/gaa games each week over the last few so i've been slack on gym, dont want to lose my gains so was trying to see what routine would be a catch all maintainance type session. think it'll be the hard route of just making the time and getting in the 2 sessions minimum. Gotta say its been well worth it since i got back into it, confidence boost from being fitter is great for mental well being. just more positive outlook.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭sweetthing

Deco99 wrote: »
    i would imagine, one workout a week is never goin to be as balanced and beneficial as say 2/3, unless you did some other form of excercise, hill walking/team sports, then one gym sesh probably compliments that. For me i was doing 3/4 days gym when i got back into it and i've now got 2/3 soccer/gaa games each week over the last few so i've been slack on gym, dont want to lose my gains so was trying to see what routine would be a catch all maintainance type session. think it'll be the hard route of just making the time and getting in the 2 sessions minimum. Gotta say its been well worth it since i got back into it, confidence boost from being fitter is great for mental well being. just more positive outlook.

Ya, I get that 2 or 3 sessions a week is better. That´s not my point. IT´s a oure hypothetical question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

sweetthing wrote: »
    Ya, I get that 2 or 3 sessions a week is better. That´s not my point. IT´s a oure hypothetical question

1 workout I'd imagine going all out on squat, bench and deadlifts with some rowing would be the most beneficial. But 1 workout a week and you're just spinning your wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

sweetthing wrote: »
    THis actually sounds like a good topic for discussion.

Like say, if you had only one day a week where you could work out, what would you do?

Well i'd go for squats (the best exercise in my humble opinion..) RDL's, overhead press, power cleans and chinups... and maybe some hammer curls for the girls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Some weeks because of Gaelic football/hurling I only get to the gym once in the week. Usually happens if I have Championship on a friday. and I only get to gym on tuesday. On those days I generally Squat, Deadlift, Bench, BB Row, Standing Military press, Wide Grip pullups and dips

Advertisement