Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bigotry on a sports forum

Options
  • 03-07-2014 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭

Hi, Just some advice needed.

I use a sports forum here. The forum is open to everyone including Juveniles.

I'm concerned about the levels of sexism and racism prevalent on the forum.

For example, at the moment two small groups of men (from different clubs) are having a go at each other. One group is calling the other group 'travellers' (not the word used) and posting jokes etc accordingly. The other group responds by calling them 'women'.
    This is indicative of a culture across this particular forum which isn't really appropriate which is wholly unsuitable for many including impressionable Juniors.
    Long story short. I want to do something about it to make the forum more welcoming for people and get back to its original purpose. To make my case to the moderators more solid, Im wondering where I can get information re. this websites stance on such things. Also if there are any docs, checklists etc that moderators could use to with moderation of these issues. They can be complex and I appreciate people are volunteering here.
    Any help greatly appreciated. (Ive just realize my username is informative!)

KInd Rgds

T Runner

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The rules for each forum are contained in the charter, which will be stickied at the top of the forum. What kind of "banter" is allowed can be very different from forum to forum.

Occasionally the mods run a feedback thread, although there doesn't seem to be one open currently. If you have suggestions, you can PM the mods of the forum.

Lastly, if you see a post you judge to be against the charter, or you feel has crossed the line, report the post. If nothing is done and you feel strongly about a post you are also free to PM a mod. Please bear in mind that threads in soccer move very fast, and that mods are volunteers and must be afforded time to react to reported posts and ongoing threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement