Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Warrior Of the Sea 2014

• 03-07-2014 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Anyone else signed up to do this?

Anyone done it before and got a few pointers on what to expect?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭Scarlet42

I'm doing this .. didn't do it last year .... when it was supposed to have been amazing..don't think the weather is going to be as good as last year!

I did the Lighthouse swim yesterday .. from Ragley Harbour to Rosses Point (4.5K).. it was great .. very well organised, there was a nice help from the tide .. not sure if that will be the same next Sat .. supposedly there is 250 swimmers taking part ... should be fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Cottonballs

250! That's pretty cool.

This is something that's I've been meaning to hit for a while now, but through one thing or another, hasn't happened. The aul nerves are tingling already, 2 parts excitement & 1 part fear. But it'd be a bit weird if they weren't, right? Best of luck!

yeah .. I'm the same, I missed it last year because of a family wedding :mad:! ..hopefully the weather will calm down a bit! the website gives good advice to break it down to three swims. should be good craic with so many people doing it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭griffin100

I did it last year and the conditions were amazing. It was like swimming in the Caribbean :). Not much advice I can give that isn't on the website.

The first km is across the channel and the current is with you so use it as a warm up. You will cover this part quickly.

In the second part you need to sight off the hills. If the weather is clear it's pretty easy. Either way there are lots of safety canoes to direct you and you can follow other swimmers. At this part of the swim you are really far off shore so make sure you look left and take a look at Ben Bulben (I think!!).

At the final turn for the shore with about 2km left you might end up swimming over some relatively shallow rocks and kelp beds but you'll be past fairly quickly.

On the last part you will see the large sand dune on the beach from a long way out but you still have a good bit to go and the slight current will be against you so just be aware of that. Make sure you know where the finish on the beach is and it's easy to aim too far to the right here.

Getting out at the end was the hardest part last year with the large surf and big stones on the bottom.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭kchsligo

Well I did this today and had a horrible time but finished thankfully.
    Conditions were not the best but nothing can be done about that.
    Nice event overall but organisation around bag drop and bag collection could have been much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Cottonballs

kchsligo wrote: »
    Well I did this today and had a horrible time but finished thankfully.
    Conditions were not the best but nothing can be done about that.
    Nice event overall but organisation around bag drop and bag collection could have been much better.

Well fair play for finishing it out when it sounds like you'd plenty of reason to mark it off as a bad day.

Conditions were mixed alright, and what about all those jellyfish, or jellybastards as I like to call 'em! Some pretty impressive scenery on the route though, took griffin100's advice to take it all in.

Overall it was good event, great to have use of the sailing club facilities at the start, good detailed briefing and info before it and plenty of support available out on the swim.

A couple of small things would really improve it though - again, I'd happily forgo tshirts and the like if it gives leeway in the budget to improve other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭kchsligo

I took that advice too. Stopped a few times and did a complete 360 to take it all in.

Agree totally about the support on the water, in fact I'm sure I'd have called time on it about three quarters of the way through if there hadn't been encouraging words from all around.

Really enjoyed it today..was very nervous at the start..the rocks on the walk in didn't help!.. my goggles fogged up heading to Coney..which was a bit annoying!
    The break on Coney was nice..it was longer than I was expecting..
    Found it challenging but enjoyable..any dealings I had with the support was always good..but did find myself alone a good bit.. Nice t-shirts and medals..well done to all who did it!

Really enjoyed it today..was very nervous at the start..the rocks on the walk in didn't help!.. my goggles fogged up heading to Coney..which was a bit annoying!
    The break on Coney was nice..it was longer than I was expecting..
    Found it challenging but enjoyable..any dealings I had with the support was always good..but did find myself alone a good bit.. Nice t-shirts and medals..well done to all who did it!

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Folks, anyone have any sort of trianing plan for this, would love to try this next year, but never done over 2 k open water, done 3k in pool but want to see what kind of pool sessions people did.

• Advertisement
Advertisement