Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retail: not paid for hours worked after close

Options
  • 03-07-2014 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice or experience working in retail and being rostered to finish at the time the shop closes but has to stay later to cash up tills and tidy the shop. I'm not getting paid for the work I'm doing after my rostered time when the shop is closed.
    I.e. I am rostered from 10am - 6pm and get paid for that time (minus the 1 hour lunch break) but do not get paid from 6pm -6.20pm where I am cashing up tills, closing the store and doing the lodgement.

Has anyone had this before?

I understand it may not be an issue if it was work I didn't complete between my regular working hours but I physically cannot close the till before 6pm. So am I expected to do these tasks on my own time?

Thanks in advance for any help on this...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Join the union, get them to negotiate overtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yeah, I've met this before. Dunno why retail workers accept it myself - IMHO they should all be paid the extra 15 minutes if they're required to stay. But for whatever reason, they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

My place of work used to do this.

Our solution was to close the shop early, any customers who came in at 4.45 would be told we were closed/closing, and would not be served. The boss changed tune about paying after closing time fairly fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Had this in one of my early jobs. Greedy *****. Out of business now so I win.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Had this in my old job - our closing time was 10 and except in extreme circumstances (read: twice in two years) you weren't paid after that. If we were to actually only stop serving at 10 we would be there for at least 30 mins unpaid to close up properly. So the staff had an unofficial agreement that we stopped serving at 9.30 to finish on time. If you're on hourly pay and you're not getting paid for your time then you must do something like this to have some semblance of not being walked all over.

Now it may seem petty - 30 mins is worth €4.33 ish say, but over the 2 years I worked there and all the night-time shifts I covered that would have been several hundred euro I'd be out of pocket. Your time is precious. Don't give it away for free to be a retail slave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 CjJones52

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I just wasn't too sure if this was normal or not.
    I have to agree, my time should not be their time for free.

Advertisement