Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ftp to nas storage home outside the main network

Options
  • 03-07-2014 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I have a Western digital my cloud hooked up to my home network, is it possible to ftp from outside the home network? I can connect through the wd app but not by typing the Ip address into the web browser like I would at home.

Is it possible?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I'd say you will need to port forward the IP so it can be accessed outside the network.

I'm sure someone on here will be able to assist you as to how to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 C88

If its any help I am using UPC horizon box connected to a airport express via ethernet to which the wd my cloud is connected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

When you are at home the IP address of the nas box is an internal IP address. From outside your network you would have to connect to the public Ip of your Horizon box and configure the horizon box to forward the port you are using to connect to it to your nas device.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dont forward FTP to your nas without knowing what youre doing, youll be hacked so fast.

What you need to do:
    Get a dynamicDNS service like NoIP or similar and run the client on a local PC
    See up a host with SFTP, with proper password, then forward that.

http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Book-Live/How-to-Setup-Secure-FTP-SFTP/td-p/601449

Judging by your OP this may be a little above your level. Dont do anything that opens your LAN if you arent sure, IPv4 addresses cant port sniffed on a regular basis so you dont want to be vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

You could use FTPserver, its free and got good protection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Setup vpn termination on your router. Then when you are away, connect via VPN and ftp as normal.

Advertisement