Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diet

Options
  • 03-07-2014 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

With the season in full swing now I find I've relaxed a lot with the diet from racing every other weekend..also will power has faded.

Currently at 5'10'' and 11.5 stone.

Getting to 11 would probably help with times?

What do you do to drop weight while at the same time eating enough to train a good number of hours in the week?

Does anyone here focus on their diet that much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Hah, not much

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057050843&page=6

I do find I'm better in the off season and much more disciplined. Plus its winter and soups/stews are a lot easier then as opposed to BBQs (and chips, crisps, fizzy drinks ........)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Watch this and note its free til tomorrow, have to pay after

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/06/28/cereal-killers-movie.aspx

It confirms a lot of what i knew and was thinking but note it doesnt take into account an athlete type scenario. Its geared more at general health. I would interpret it as i need more carbs than this subject but only to co-incide with training. Im not going to go this route just yet as i'm now focused on an A race but after September i'm tempted to start experimenting more with fat/protein diet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Bambaata wrote: »

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/06/28/cereal-killers-movie.aspx

It confirms a lot of what i knew and was thinking but note it doesnt take into account an athlete type scenario. Its geared more at general health. I would interpret it as i need more carbs than this subject but only to co-incide with training. Im not going to go this route just yet as i'm now focused on an A race but after September i'm tempted to start experimenting more with fat/protein diet.

i think there is a lot to it. i notice when i even accidentally go higher on the mix of proteins/fats, usually because of what looks good in the canteen, i see the weight drop off. i know there is the effect of water loss once you knock off the carbs, but even that aside it would seem it works for me

the difficulty then becomes getting the mix right. no point having weight loss if you;re struggling to hold your easy pace with no fuel. getting the macros right would take some work.

to be honest, for an average training week, if i can kill munching on something, even dried fruit in the evenings i can see the weight fall away.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I'd experiment with cycling as well, during the winter going out on a 60-80k ride with no breakfast, maybe a couple of bananas and water. My thinking would be that you can train your body to adapt to that so when you are fuel-less it wont go into shutdown

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Hi Bambaata, there are two good threads on this in the cycling logs section (astra's and petethedrummers) with some good input from A1 & A2 cyclists. There are plenty of athlete's who have gone this way including the LA Lakers. The general consensous seems to be you need some carbs for recovery or very long sessions but not as many as people think (or eat).

Barry Murphy (optimal nutrition) and nutritionist to BMC is a proponent of the approach (and well worth reading his blogs and articles).

Example

I've been eating this way for about 3 months and never been leaner despite training less than ever before (due to kids). I'll be upping the training soon so will be interesting to see if there are any affects (honestly not expecting too much). It's just a case of becoming more fat adapted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I assume this is one of the threads but where's the other?

Has anyone read or have the new Noakes book? If so, thoughts on it?

It's worth following ON4Sport on twitter and FB for some of the links he posts

pgibbo wrote: »
    I assume this is one of the threads but where's the other?

Has anyone read or have the new Noakes book? If so, thoughts on it?

It's worth following ON4Sport on twitter and FB for some of the links he posts

Here

Haven't read the book, would like to, but 2 toddlers dictate that when in bed I sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Here

Haven't read the book, would like to, but 2 toddlers dictate that when in bed I sleep.

Cheers. I know what you mean. Similar story. Big reading list but no time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭shansey

Haven't watched it yet but I think the gist is that the majority of carbs are bad?

From my meager knowledge I began a diet trying to eliminate sugars i.e. not just refined but also rices, pastas and breads etc.

While i did feel good I felt it was unsustainable so i compromised and now alternate breakfast every day between porridge and eggs, a fairly healthy sandwich for lunch and meat and veg for dinner.

occassional weekend blowouts turned into every weekend but it seems to be maintaining.

Still could do with another 7lbs of fat off.

I also read an article recently with two pro Ironman athletes who said when they went up to the long distance they just thought they needed to eat more but apparently there is something in letting your body adjust to running on less.

I think just cause I train the guts of 10 hours a week I don't need to be too carb heavy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

This free site works well provided you follow the instructions.

http://www.fitday.com/

If you take your time setting up your foods in the beginning and then log everything it really helps you get where you want to go. More import it graphs what you have taken in in relation to your RDA

• Advertisement

shansey wrote: »
    Haven't watched it yet but I think the gist is that the majority of carbs are bad?

From my meager knowledge I began a diet trying to eliminate sugars i.e. not just refined but also rices, pastas and breads etc.

While i did feel good I felt it was unsustainable so i compromised and now alternate breakfast every day between porridge and eggs, a fairly healthy sandwich for lunch and meat and veg for dinner.

occassional weekend blowouts turned into every weekend but it seems to be maintaining.

Still could do with another 7lbs of fat off.

I also read an article recently with two pro Ironman athletes who said when they went up to the long distance they just thought they needed to eat more but apparently there is something in letting your body adjust to running on less.

I think just cause I train the guts of 10 hours a week I don't need to be too carb heavy

Can I ask what you found unsustainable about it?

I'd call my version of it a lower carb, medium to high fat, medium protein diet - I'm not super strict on carbs i.e. very low (50g or less). Example of days diet posted in 10th post on this thread here.

I can eat like that and enjoy it 7 days a week, no need for blowouts or binges - all the food is nice all of the time. Cravings massively reduced and consistent energy during the day.And what's not to enjoy about eating bacon and eggs for breakfast? or having cream and strawberries and dark chocolate?

To me it's all about sugar, not carbs, the problem is so many of the carbs we eat today end up as sugar in your intestine (see box 4 & 5 particularly). People don't realise how much sugar is in a half can of beans or a half tin of bolognese sauce.

Once you actually get your head around a few things I think its a real revelation;

1. Good fat's are good for you.

2. Read food labels based on sugar content not fat or calories.

3. The fact you don't need to stuff yourself full of sugar to train or have energy - people just don't think that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭shansey

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Can I ask what you found unsustainable about it?

What I found unsustainable was a sugar free diet.

No fruit, just a few berries (no fructose)

No milk or dairy (Lactose)

Spuds, breads rices and pasta all gone.

It was essentially just proteins and root veg, almonds.. I did toy with some quinoa and oats.

Well it's never going to be sugar free - just greatly reduced.

I still eat banana's (not every day), some apples and oranges. I still drink milk - especially for recovery. I eat porridge oats a couple of days a week.

I don't see those as the problems and that's a personal decision.

Bread I replace with salad, pasta with more meat and more veg/green leafs (spinach & rocket slow fried in butter yum yum) and I'd eat a small portion of brown rice if I fancied it - just not something I buy or want. Never liked spuds. Ask yourself what the nutritional value of pasta is?

You can get so much variety - there are so many different vegetables, so many types of salads and so many different styles of meat. Avacado blended and mixed with mayo is amazing - you just need to be inventive.

Eggs can be done so many ways, there are plenty of types of fish. There is greek yogurt, loads of types of berries, all sorts of nuts, dark choc.

You can make a meat pizza (in one of those two logs I linked) and zuchinni bread is amazing as a bread substitute.

Anyway not here to sell this to anyone - just giving my own experience. If anything eating this way has meant I've eaten greater variety in my diet and I'm not just going back to cereal, bread & pasta as my stables and quick fixes post workout. Only downside is the time cooking and expense of shopping - but i'm more than happy with that given how I feel.

Advertisement