Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brazil vs. Colombia (QF2) 21:00, 4 July

• 03-07-2014 12:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭

Estádio Castelão, Fortaleza

Possible Brazil XI -

12 Julio César
    02 Dani Alves
    06 Marcelo
    17 Luiz Gustavo
    03 Thiago Silva
    04 David Luiz
    11 Oscar
    05 Fernandinho
    21 Jo
    10 Neymar
    07 Hulk

Possible Colombia XI -

01 Ospina
    18 Zuñiga
    07 Armero
    08 Aguilar
    02 Zapata
    03 Yepes
    11 Cuadrado
    06 Sánchez
    21 Martínez
    09 Gutiérrez
    10 Rodríguez

Oddschecker: Brazil 20/23, Colombia 19/5, Draw 11/4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Colombia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,979 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Colombia and France have been the two best teams so far imo. I think its a very nicely priced double.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Columbia has for me been the best team so far, but have been very underwhelmed by France, tbh.

Expect Columbia to win this by 2 goals in regular time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Colombia please

Hopefully they'll get the breaks Chile didnt in the last round.

Dont like this Brazil team or squad at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

whoever wins this will go on to win the World Cup, I imagine. Colombia have been the best team so far but if Brazil manage to beat them, they'll go on to lift it themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Colombia have been the most consistent team so far, but certainly have frailties in defence.

I think Brazil's effort to keep going in games even when they haven't been dominant has been very underrated. They actually played some nice stuff at times against Chile, but because they 'don't have Ronaldo or Ronaldinho etc etc' people don't want to notice it.

I think Brazil will win, but will be quite close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Fancy Brazil by a nose for this. I think it will be a tight game, Brazil haven't been great so far and Colombia have impressed but Brazil haven't given away many chances and I think Colombia will find it hard to break them down, it is going to be some battle on the wings, both sets of full backs really like to bomb on so I wonder will this leave gaps for the each team to exploit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I can't see how Brazil will win this in a normal game where Colombia or the Ref don't utterly bottle it but both of those are strong possibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

If the last Brazil game thread is anything to go by this thread should feature a lot of 1 hulk getting slaughtered no matter how he is actually playing 2 David Luiz being blamed for every goal conceded including the goals Colombia concede 3 lots of comments about the refs favouring Brazil despite the fact that in 1 game out of 4 they got a favourable decision. Anyway on the game I think Brazil will just shade it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Gbear wrote: »
    I can't see how Brazil will win this in a normal game where Colombia or the Ref don't utterly bottle it but both of those are strong possibilities.

Are they? This ref nonsense again. Brazil haven't had any 'home' decisions bar the Croatian penalty. Lots of other teams have had a higher number of dodgy decisions. Brazil are plenty good enough to beat Colombia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I think people are over-rating Colombia to be honest. They got through a very easy group and beat a demoralised Uruguay side who had already been shown to be very ordinary without Suarez. BUT Brazil are no world-beaters either so I wouldn't be surprised to see penalties again.

Corholio wrote: »
    Are they? This ref nonsense again. Brazil haven't had any 'home' decisions bar the Croatian penalty. Lots of other teams have had a higher number of dodgy decisions. Brazil are plenty good enough to beat Colombia.

It doesn't require the ref being a homer or whatever to bottle a decision.

Refs make mistakes all the time. I think that's what it would take to stop Columbia from winning if they turn up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Brazil will win with a couple of penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 calum22

Columbia have been playing well yes, probably the best so far overall. But that means nothing in this game, they have not played against a team like Brazil so far. Will be very interesting, I like both teams, but if I had to bet on it, I would go Brazil. They have more know how in tight games like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Carl Worswick ‏@cworswick 27m
    The last time Colombia beat Brazil in a competitive fixture was 23 years ago at the 1991 Copa America. James Rodríguez was 1 day old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

calum22 wrote: »
    Columbia have been playing well yes, probably the best so far overall. But that means nothing in this game, they have not played against a team like Brazil so far. Will be very interesting, I like both teams, but if I had to bet on it, I would go Brazil. They have more know how in tight games like this

Brazil have been horrendous so far . They don't look like a proper Brazilian team at all . A Brazil team always has a few great players in it at least 5 . The only players in the team that I would say are anyway decent / great are neymar , silva and maybe Oscar .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Estádio Castelão, Fortaleza

Possible Brazil XI -

12 Julio César
    02 Dani Alves
    06 Marcelo
    17 Luiz Gustavo
    03 Thiago Silva
    04 David Luiz
    11 Oscar
    05 Fernandinho
    21 Jo
    10 Neymar
    07 Hulk

Possible Colombia XI -

01 Ospina
    18 Zuñiga
    07 Armero
    08 Aguilar
    02 Zapata
    03 Yepes
    11 Cuadrado
    06 Sánchez
    21 Martínez
    09 Gutiérrez
    10 Rodríguez

Oddschecker: Brazil 20/23, Colombia 19/5, Draw 11/4

Gustavo is suspended for this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

A lot of people will make it very rich on Colombia by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

CSF wrote: »
    A lot of people will make it very rich on Colombia by the sounds of it.

Agreed, colombia way over priced!

Brazil have been horrendous so far . They don't look like a proper Brazilian team at all . A Brazil team always has a few great players in it at least 5 . The only players in the team that I would say are anyway decent / great are neymar , silva and maybe Oscar .

There is no point in comparing them to Brazil teams of old all they have to do is beat the teams left in the competition. It's neither here nor there that technically they are inferior to past Brazilian teams. I think this is where a lot of the dislike of the Brazilian team is coming from people getting all misty eyed about the 1970 1982 2002 version.

• Advertisement

I hope Colombia win this and I hope it's a cracker.

Hopefully it wont be decided by a dodgy referee decision :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

zarquon wrote: »
    Agreed, colombia way over priced!

I was more so implying that people are making Colombia out to be favourites rather than a good shout for a scalp

CSF wrote: »
    I was more so implying that people are making Colombia out to be favourites rather than a good shout for a scalp

Not favourites but are certainly in with a real good shout.

Been more impressive than Brazil so far tbh.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

40135ff92e3e91f857bd279e42836f2f.png

Alves dropped or injured

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Maicon? Big Phil strikes again, can't adapt at all at all.

Expecting Colombia to hog the possession, this Brazil team is mediocre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Fred to silence his critics tonight with an incredible volley from the half way line

Fancy Columbia to get through in a tight game, alot depends on Neymar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Maicon? Big Phil strikes again, can't adapt at all at all.

Expecting Colombia to hog the possession, this Brazil team is mediocre.

To be fair to him, he's been pretty decent for Roma this season. Still surprised about the change though, Alves hasn't been especially good (nor has he for some time) but not terrible either.

Colombia have to the neutrals' choice here but I don't know where people are saying Brazil have no chance, they're pretty damn solid, good at set pieces and have a few players capable of doing something special.

Edit: also of note: jackson martinez has been dropped for Columbia too, they're being a little more cautious about this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

How is Fred starting. Seriously??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Gringo180 wrote: »

More importantly, how is most of that Brazil team even playing for Brazil?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Not going to win a world cup with Paulinho starting in your team, simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Excellent intro on RTE there

Gringo180 wrote: »

It's not like they've got a horde of CFs banging on the door.

Still, after the few flashes we saw last week, Hulk can be dangerous in the box.

Sticking him up front and someone not terrible instead of Fred (like Lucas M) would have to be better.

The only point of Fred is to help get the best out of Neymar, that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

come columbia:D definite underdogs for me too and ive been more impressed with watching them play than brazil too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Did Eamon just say when Michael Owen "was at his peak 20yrs ago?" When he 14 or 15? Ha ha, ffs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Michael owen was 14 twenty years ago Eamon, No he wasn't at his peak

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭LordAwesome

Brady got something against the Japanese?

This game should have the highest standard of good looking women in the crowd so far this tournament.

Dunphy *shock* backtracks on Colombia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

They've gone from headless chickens to intelligent in four days. Somebody should tell the Minister for Education what their secret is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

This is going to be a cracking match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Noticed that, his coverage of their second goal was almost the complete opposite to what was said last week. At least it means some research might have been done.

Embarrassing that Giles considers Messi player of the tournament. They are obviously right that Rodriguez has a long way to go to get up with them in terms of his career, but best player in this WC is not even a question at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Just like Brazil/Chile, anthems are going to be incredibly again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

What was that Dunphy said about the Rodriguez move to Monaco? Something about falcao? It was a separate deal surely?

Regardless of this being their worst ever team, I'll always root for Brazil. But I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they lost tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Brazil to take this fairly comfortably imo.

They've gone from headless chickens to intelligent in four days. Somebody should tell the Minister for Education what their secret is.

Wasn't he also previously ranting about how naive they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Billy86 wrote: »
    Noticed that, his coverage of their second goal was almost the complete opposite to what was said last week. At least it means some research might have been done.

Embarrassing that Giles considers Messi player of the tournament. They are obviously right that Rodriguez has a long way to go to get up with them in terms of his career, but best player in this WC is not even a question at this point.

How is embarrassing that he thought messi is the player of the world cup. He has scored the winning goal in three games and laid on the winner in the fourth. To be fair he has been very good. I get what your saying about Rodriguez tho, he probably edges it it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Alonso77 wrote: »
    What was that Dunphy said about the Rodriguez move to Monaco? Something about falcao? It was a separate deal surely?

Yeah, he keeps saying this. Remember folks: Ireland's highest paid journalist.

• Advertisement
Advertisement