Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brazil vs. Colombia (QF2) 21:00, 4 July

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Eirebear wrote: »
    Fashionable underdog team containing current poster boy loses to host team.

Boards explodes.

This exactly. Can't believe how outraged people are at this match, have said it since their first game against Croatia but feels like there is a genuine hatred for this Brazil team on boards.
    Harps wrote: »
    Definitely. Brazil were the better team and deserved the win, both teams were fouling and playing ugly throughout and Brazil didn't have any more decisions go their way than Colombia. Really don't get the hate towards Brazil and love for Colombia, they both equally player their part in an awful game

As Harps said both teams were at it, Brazil may have been worse for it but 31 fouls to 23 and people are only giving out about Brazil? It was an incredibly scrappy game, both teams made it that way. I think people just feel the need to complain about something. Brazil seem to have a team with a lot of disliked players - Neymar, Hulk, Fred, Marcelo, David Luiz, and their style of play obviously doesn't attract many new fans but of all the teams in this world cup I think they have stuck to their game plan the most, almost too much at times, but they are sticking to the managers orders and it is working, similar to watching a Mourinho side.

Who do people think deserve to win this world cup? The Netherlands are the only team who have performed better than Brazil IMO. Germany, Argentina, Belgium haven't exactly set the world alight yet they have remained fairly free of criticism.

David Luiz's celebration showed what it means to them and how much pressure is on them, I really want Brazil to go on and win this, and I think they will.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

About two months before that game, I read a great article in the The Gaurdian (I think). It spoke about how FIFA needed a French victory in the 1998 World Cup, because the French soccer market was stagnant. And for it's size, it was way under performing commercially. So once I saw little Paraguay being done by the Ref, I knew France would end up winning it. So I have to laugh at the moral outrage shown to Brazil, Dunphy sure has a short memory.

I remember Blanc getting a golden goal winner that's all I remember about that game, France had a pretty solid team, better than this Brazil team.

Also Blanc wasn't allowed play in the final despite the fact he only gave Billic a little slap on the face.

This Brazil team play horrible football and they just not one bit likeable.

Argentina 1978 had to beat Peru 6-0, there's a story of a few Peru players being bribed to ensure 'the correct result'
    http://beautifulhorizons.typepad.com/weblog/2010/07/videla-in-the-dock-and-how-he-influenced-the-1978-world-cup.html

Also Korea benefited from dodgy decisions in 2002 to get to the semi's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Even worse for Brazil now they're saying Neymar has broken a vertebrae in his back.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Broke a rib according to SportTV in Brazil. Neymar's World Cup is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

I really want Brazil to go on and win this, and I think they will.

You just want to see Eamon Dunphy in a dress.

There's no footballing reason to want this bastardisation of Brazialian football to succeed, as you said it's like supporting a Mourinho team.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Broken vertabre lads. That's him gone for the rest of the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Brasil and Scolari....truly awful. They get the rub of the green. No yellow cards bar two! Despite foul after foul. Cesar should have been red. They went about taking out Rodriquez al night. When they win the World Cup, we will all be left with a bitter taste in our mouths. FIFA will have been most helpful to their cause. For the sake of FairPlay and good football, I truly hope Brasil do not win, just because they hosted the tournament.

Look at the last rugby world cup, NZ won after what the single handedly the most farsical final iv ever seen in any sport.

The same thing is happening in this WC, Brazil as hosts won't be allowed to lose, espically to a small country like Colombia.

At the end of the day it comes down to money, not who deserves to win. And Fifa will make sure they dont lose out on the money stakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The Germany Brazil game is going to be all kinds of hilarious now, the only players who've looked worthy of wearing the yellow, Neymar and Silva out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

About two months before that game, I read a great article in the The Gaurdian (I think). It spoke about how FIFA needed a French victory in the 1998 World Cup, because the French soccer market was stagnant. And for it's size, it was way under performing commercially. So once I saw little Paraguay being done by the Ref, I knew France would end up winning it. So I have to laugh at the moral outrage shown to Brazil, Dunphy sure has a short memory.

Homerism has always been part and parcel of World Cup Football. Christ, didn't the English win their only World Cup thanks to some handy home town decisions. Their game against Argentina was believed to have been a fix. Rattin who was Argentina's best player was sent off in the first half for nothing. England then chopped Argentina off the field and we all know what happened in the final. The goal that wasn't and the penalty West Germany never got.

correlation does not equal causation , France won that game and deservedly so and they did so without Zidane and Henry going off injured and Paraguay hardly had an attack all night . That was a great French side and needed no help from the ref.

http://youtu.be/mt9wzCY6onE

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭twinex

Broken vertabre lads. That's him gone for the rest of the tournament.

Shame, Neymar Almost cancels out David Luiz, almost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Did Ian Wright call Glenn Hoddle gaffer there a min ago?

He always does. It's his chav schtick. He played under Hoddle for two years when Glenn managed England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

F*cking hell that was some size of a grasshopper on James jersey

https://vine.co/v/MUjMeI9V7tx

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

Homerism has always been part and parcel of World Cup Football. Christ, didn't the English win their only World Cup thanks to some handy home town decisions. Their game against Argentina was believed to have been a fix. Rattin who was Argentina's best player was sent off in the first half for nothing. England then chopped Argentina off the field and we all know what happened in the final. The goal that wasn't and the penalty West Germany never got.

If homerism is such a big part in winning the world cup wouldn't every past winner be in on in? And why doesn't every country apply to host it each time.

FIFA needed a French victory in 98, they need a Brazilian victory now. Why didn't they need a South African victory on 2010 or a German victory in 2006?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I do think there are comparisons to be drawn with this current Brazil side and the team of '94. With the obvious exceptions of Romario and Bebeto.

That USA 94 side was certainly not one for the purists either with Dunga and Mauro Silva providing the midfield muscle. And then there was Leonardo absolutely poleaxing some American, who's name escapes me. It was a nasty enough team in its own right for certain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

tastyt wrote: »
    Lads Brazil played ronaldo after he nearly died a couple of hours before world cup final. 100% neymar starts the semi. This might not be a popular comment but he's gone missing in the knockouts anyway.

Not with a fractured vertebrae in his back he doesn't....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

France, the hometown team that shouldn't have been in the final. Little Paraguay played them off the pitch in the second round, but didn't progress thanks to the Ref that day. I don't remember Eamon getting his knickers in a twist back then though.

I was in the Felix Bolleart in Lens for that game, and 'little Paraguay played them off the pitch' is completely at odds with my memory.
    My memory - France dominated the 90mins of a dour enough game, couldn't get a goal, Chilavert was an absolute hero in goal for Paraguay, France became paralyzed in golden goal extra time, Paraguay had one huge chance, missed, then France got the golden goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Zuniga is to blame but not completely, this is also the fault of a ref who didn't control the game and let them kick each other around.

Bad news for Brazil and Neymar, hope he recovers.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

If he had a leg amputated they would probably still play him out of pure desperation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Neymar is brilliant and the only attacking shining light for Brazil.

You go out to bully and kick and play dirty and your star man gets injured by an overly aggressive tackle that might not have been made if the tone of the game was different. You live by the sword you die by the sword. And without neymar Brazil will die.

Karma is a bitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Not surprised at the outrage about the match tonight. It's genuinely bizarre this hate on Brazil just because they're not as good as previous teams.

Mentioning the fouls werent yellows, I didnt see many mentioning the studs to the knee tackle by the Colombian, by far the worst tackle of the game, or the tackle on Neymar which looks to have ended his world cup.

Of course they are not as good as previous teams, but they have just dumped out 2 of the more impressive teams in this cup, all without any sort of striker or attacking midfielder. Personally, I love the passion they have shown.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I really hope for Zuniga's sake, he's out of Brazil by early tomorrow.

For the sake of Brazil attempting to play a bit of football in the semi - I hope Neymar makes some sort of miracle recovery. Otherwise it could be a bit of a horror show game.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    I really hope for Zuniga's sake, he's out of Brazil by early tomorrow.

Its a pity if this ambiguity will be left hanging in the air for the Brazilians to throw in the face of the football world (ala France 1998 when one of the other world greats scored two headers and yet it was down to Ronaldo having a fit)

I pray Neymar will play and have a very subdued game in what hopefully will be a spanking. I truly detest this Brazilian team and more-so after that farce tonight.

As for their own players...i hope they never holiday in Colombia after their treatment of Rodriguez and co.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

For the sake of Brazil attempting to play a bit of football in the semi - I hope Neymar makes some sort of miracle recovery. Otherwise it could be a bit of a horror show game.

After Neymar's injury there is no way another ref is going to let a game develop like today's did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭bitemeluis

Corholio wrote: »
    Not surprised at the outrage about the match tonight. It's genuinely bizarre this hate on Brazil just because they're not as good as previous teams.

Mostly from people buying into what commentators are saying on telly

Brazil played well in the first half, Colombia were always going to make it difficult at some point in the second half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Colombia were pretty poor tonight, think that seems to have been missed in all the outrage.

After Neymar's injury there is no way another ref is going to let a game develop like today's did.

In Brazil's case that would have to mean a red card or two. Scholari has them running around like bulls in a china shop.

Colombia were pretty poor tonight, think that seems to have been missed in all the outrage.

Yeah to be fair Colombia were very raw and were a victim of their own success in the end. They will be all the better for the Russian World cup in four years if Vladimir Putin isnt refereeing at that stage.

However, that doesnt take away from the fact that the ref was ludicrously bad. Some of the decisions were outrageous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

All teams, including the officials were pretty poor tonight. The cynic in me blames the officials for letting the cynical fouling continue without punitive measures. That said, most of the fouls were pretty harmless. I wonder if there was a Matuidi type tackle how the ref would have reacted.

His style of refereeing suited Brazil. But Columbia played into their hands too. Part of the sport is having some cop to referees interpretation. That said James was booked for a tackle that Brazilians had committed several times over. There was little consistency. Still, Colombia needed to make a better job of it.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Neymar is a 22 year old who has effectively broken back.

That's serious.

He is supposed to be the player who replaces Messi at world number 1. He wasn't bought by the biggest club in the world for 180m or whatever for his boyish charm. It's because he's an incredible footballer.

There's no reason to rejoice in the fact that he's now injured. None whatsoever.

Whether you've been shouting for Brazil or Croatia this world cup, you should be shouting your best for Neymar's recovery.

(I'm a Chelsea fan and I'd prefer to see Willian start but I'm afraid that would be ill-advised for Scolari.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭urabell

That's serious.

He is supposed to be the player who replaces Messi at world number 1. He wasn't bought by the biggest club in the world for 180m or whatever for his boyish charm. It's because he's an incredible footballer.

There's no reason to rejoice in the fact that he's now injured. None whatsoever.

Whether you've been shouting for Brazil or Croatia this world cup, you should be shouting your best for Neymar's recovery.

(I'm a Chelsea fan and I'd prefer to see Willian start but I'm afraid that would be ill-advised for Scolari.)

Doc said he'd be recovered in a month.

Don't understand why he can't play, Kurt Angle won an Olympic gold medal with a broken freakin neck,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

They were poor though because of the intense physicality of Brazil. The Brazilians were happy to kick them up and down the pitch for most of the match knowing they'd get away with it and it got thrown back in their faces. I think it could have been a great match if the ref had taken some control of the game and made them play instead of tearing the sh*t out of each other.

I feel bad for the Neymar kid, but there's a bit of irony in that for Brazil. It could very easily have been young Rodriguez who ended up getting stretchered off, which I'm sure the Brazilians would have been thrilled by. Neymar's World Cup is effectively over by way of their own tactics.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

urabell wrote: »
    Doc said he'd be recovered in a month.

Don't understand why he can't play, Kurt Angle won an Olympic gold medal with a broken freakin neck,

In fairness, there's a little bit between football and professional dancing.

Facetiousness aside, genuinely it depends on the nature of the fracture but a broken back can't be taken to seriously for me.

That's serious.

Sympathies with his injury and i agree he is a fine player. A player that doesnt need to play act.
    But perhaps now that he knows real pain he might reconsider going down like he is shot on each occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Sympathies with his injury and i agree he is a fine player. A player that doesnt need to play act.
    But perhaps now that he knows real pain he might reconsider going down like he is shot on each occasion.

He's got bad injuries before. No cessation of play acting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Just thought that the ref gave free license to Brazil to physically rough up Colombia all during the first half. Colombia got frustrated and started answering back in kind. That said I don't think the injury Neymar received was intentional. Just a by product of a weak ref who lost control and let too much go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

In fairness, there's a little bit between football and professional dancing.

Facetiousness aside, genuinely it depends on the nature of the fracture but a broken back can't be taken to seriously for me.
    Erm Kurt Angle really won an Olympic Gold medal with a broken neck. It's wasn't fake. Amateur wrestling is a lot more physically demanding than football is.

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Erm Kurt Angle really won an Olympic Gold medal with a broken neck. It's wasn't fake. Amateur wrestling is a lot more physically demanding than football is.

Amateur or indeed professional wrestling is a million miles harder on the body than football is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Brazil without their two best players in Neymar and Silva for the semi-final now. They have gone from around 8/11 just after the game to 1/1 to qualify for the final.

Germany must be licking their lips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I genuinely feel sorry for Neymar. One of the few of this team who deserves to wear the Brazil yellow. As for the rest I will be shouting for a German win!

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I genuinely feel sorry for Neymar. One of the few of this team who deserves to wear the Brazil yellow. As for the rest I will be shouting for a German win!

Yeah a real pity. Must admit I thought he was trying to waste time at first but when I saw him being stretchered down the tunnel you could see he was in agony even when he was out of view of everyone else. Still thought he just might have had bad bruising though. Terrible for the lad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

And then there was Leonardo absolutely poleaxing some American, who's name escapes me.

Tab Ramos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Yeah a real pity. Must admit I thought he was trying to waste time at first but when I saw him being stretchered down the tunnel you could see he was in agony even when he was out of view of everyone else. Still thought he just might have had bad bruising though. Terrible for the lad.

He looked like he was full on crying when they were putting him on the stretcher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

People expressing joy at someone's back being broken by a deliberate knee to the spine. One of the best players eliminated from the final stages. Really bizarre.

I've money on The Netherlands and Germany. I think that the refereeing has seemed biased in favour of Brazil in several matches. I don't like the current Brazil team, or Neymar who should have been sent off when he elbowed someone in the head in one of the group matches. Nonetheless I feel nothing but disgust at that tackle, and I'm disappointed that he's injured.

It was an outrageous knee and I was a little relieved to see him move his legs after it. Wonder what disciplinary action will be taken, if any, especially after Suarez's ban. Biting is scummy and weird, but I'd prefer a nip on the shoulder than a knee in my spine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

marienbad wrote: »
    correlation does not equal causation , France won that game and deservedly so and they did so without Zidane and Henry going off injured and Paraguay hardly had an attack all night . That was a great French side and needed no help from the ref.

http://youtu.be/mt9wzCY6onE

Putting up a 2.07 minute You Tube video is going to change my mind, when I actually saw the entire game? The Ref did Paraguay no favours in that game. Up until the 1998 World Cup, I was always an admirer of the French team. I loved that great team of the Eighties, that deservedly won the 1984 European Championships at home with Platini, Giresse, Fernández, Rocheteau, Tigana, Battiston and the rest. My natural inclination to support France died during the 1998 World Cup and I think it started with that Paraguay game.

Omeceron wrote: »
    If homerism is such a big part in winning the world cup wouldn't every past winner be in on in? And why doesn't every country apply to host it each time.

FIFA needed a French victory in 98, they need a Brazilian victory now. Why didn't they need a South African victory on 2010 or a German victory in 2006?

Did I say it happened at every World Cup? No I didn't. But to look at it from a cynical & a natural suspicion of FIFA. South Africa winning would have made no commercial difference to them. It wasn't and has never been a sleeping giant of a market, so them winning would be relatively meaningless. Germany has always been a powerhouse of football, so again no dodgy officiating would have been required for them to be a success. There's only one reason we are having a 2022 World Cup in a desert and we all know what that is. I hope the focus will go back onto that when this World Cup ends. If and when the cracks appear and dictator Blatter is forced out, don't be surprised if peoples opinions of FIFA are changed forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Pretty shocking for any player to receive a broken vertebrae during any football match. But it just goes to show the totally incompetent referring that went on during that game earlier. Neymar was the only player on that team that tried to play like a Brazilian. Now the double whammy of losing him and Siva has virtually ended their World Cup. So I will be totally gobsmacked if the Germans don't beat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

Its going to be interesting watching the semi final and seeing the Germans playing like Brazilians and the Brazilians playing like Germans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Colombia were as bad as Brazil in terms of fouling.

The idea that its "karma" that Neymar's World Cup is over is about the most idiotic suggestion I have seen here in a while.

A lot if people moaning about how dirty Brazil were, but at the end of the day, there was one bad tackle in the whole game, and it wasn't committed by a Brazilian. It has ended one of the tournaments most exciting players World Cup and, ironically, people who complained about the lack of flair in the game, are rejoicing at that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Am sorry for Neymar da Silva Santos but no sympathy for Scolari and his team on the loss of their best player.Colombia appeared to be the better football team.Ironically brute tactics had their consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

deisedude wrote: »
    Its going to be interesting watching the semi final and seeing the Germans playing like Brazilians and the Brazilians playing like Germans

You serious?

The Germans have been distinctly average so far. The only Brazilians they are playing like are the Brazil of 2014.

• Advertisement
Advertisement