Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Argentina vs. Belgium (QF3) 17:00, 5 July

• 03-07-2014 12:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭

Estádio Nacional de Brasilia, Brasília

f0dc1252fd791f3183153420e6635b44.png

Oddschecker Argentina 6/5, Belgium 14/5, Draw 12/5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 calum22

Tight one, Im going to go Belgium

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

8jJoUoU.png

This is probably going to be our hardest game so far, the smallest mistake will be punished by Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

calum22 wrote: »
    Tight one, Im going to go Belgium

Damn straight!

I reckon they have this match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Argentina will win. It was written.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

My ideal scenario:

Hope Argentina will take this one after penalties.

Holland to do it in 90 mins vs CR.

Dont fancy a Holland - Belgium much.

What will probably happen: Holland out after pens with CR having 6 players suspended for the semis and Belgium walking all over them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

inforfun wrote: »
    What will probably happen: Holland out after pens with CR having 6 players suspended for the semis and Belgium walking all over them

6c5ed7c5-1d6d-4d3e-941d-76171e0dd449.gif

I don't know what I would do if that happens, but the jail time that would probably follow will be worth it :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭HaveASnickers

Hopefully Argentina win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Vamos, vamos Argentina,
    vamos, vamos a ganar,
    que esta barra quilombera,
    no te deja, no te deja de alentar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Think Argentina will walk this. Neither team looks particularly convincing, but one of them has Messi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/lionel-messi-is-impossible/

Some interesting stats on Messi. (Statistics crunched from many different angles.)

The conclusion is that since 2012: if Messi for Barcelona and Messi/Argentina were two different people they would be easily the best 2 players in the world. Good news for Argentina obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

Rojo is suspended so Basanta will come in to replace him at left back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I fear a 0-0.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I'm going to just about go with Belgium.

I was really impressed with them against USA - they just need to be a bit more clinical. Between one of Lukaku and Origi I think they could have enough to get in behind Argentina, and hopefully punish them.

At the other end, there's a strong case for Belgium having the best defence at this World Cup - and imo, that is probably the most important thing to have to win a World Cup. Belgium will be very, very tough to beat. Their back 5 is very solid. They have only conceded two goal - one in extra-time cruising at 2-0 up, and one a soft penalty. Kompany is maybe the best centre-back in the world, the others around him are very, very good too, and then you have maybe one of the best goalkeepers in the world to beat after that in Courtois.

For me there's little to choose between Belgium, Argentina and Netherlands on this side of the draw. For that reason I decided to back Belgium at 12/1 a couple of days ago - I think they definitely have what it takes to reach the final, and after that who knows?

It's a cliche, but it could come down again to Messi. Can he yet again conjure up the magic required? It is a really poor Argentina side with Messi out of it (of course you have Di Maria too who is a quality player), and if Belgium can keep him quiet then I see them keeping a clean sheet.

At the other end, Belgium have not been prolific, but if they can get a goal I can see them hanging onto it.

As another poster said, 0-0 and penalties would not surprise me. Either team might nick it 1-0, and of the two teams I would lean towards Belgium pulling that off.

As a small European nation I'm behind Belgium anyway, would love to see them set up a semi with their neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Hope and think argentina will win. I think Belgium like France and Colombia have had it fairly handy up till now. This will show what they are made of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I backed Argentina before the tournament but Belgium will win this I think. The only thing they lacked in the game against the US was a finisher; then Lukaku came on and delivered. He'll have confidence now (surely he'll start now?).

Belgium only conceded one goal from open play so far and that was very late in extra time. Argentina apart from Messi and Romero have been very poor - you can't carry so many players this late in the tournament. They struggled to break down a poor Switzerland side (Belgium created a lot more chances against the US) and this is going to be more difficult.

There is the possibility that Di Maria's goal will give him confidence - he and Messi both on form could be unstoppable; that's Argentina's best hope; I'm sceptical though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Not holding out much hope for this one.

You can tell the consequences of defeat are now weighting on everyone's mind. No one wants to be the player whose mistake could lead to elimination and games are becoming strangled as a result.

Penalties, I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭weisses

Komop rooie duivels

3-1 for Belgium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,979 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think Mertens will cause big problems for Argentina in this one. They look weak defensively on that side of the pitch and I think the Belgian will control the midfield and look to create through Mertens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    8jJoUoU.png

This is probably going to be our hardest game so far, the smallest mistake will be punished by Messi.

Love that picture!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Belgium

Courtois, Alderweireld, Van Buyten, Kompany, Vertonghen, Witsel, Fellaini, De Bruyne, Miralles, Hazard, Origi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

f0dc1252fd791f3183153420e6635b44.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Cmon Messi!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Nordic Mists

Have bets before the world cup for a Germany vs The Netherlands Final and a Brazil vs Belgium Final so no guesses who I want to win tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

The masch to wind up fellaini and get him sent off for a stupid elbow/headbut 😊. Come on you argies!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Think Dembele should be ahead of Fellaini, unless they plan on pumping long balls into the box.

Think Lukaku finally showed what he is actually capable of in the last match, but I reckon Wilmots is probably planning on using him as an impact sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Should be a great atmosphere at this loads of argies in brazil and all the brazilians will be cheering on belgium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

Demichelis starting for Argentina only after noticing that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

having put a small sum on Argentina to lift world cup, I'll have to hope they have too much on the day for Belgium to handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Al_Coholic wrote: »
    Demichelis starting for Argentina only after noticing that

Hopefully he won't get blamed if Kompany f*cks up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,869 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Is Daragh Moloney some sort of robo presenter unable to deviate from his menu of questions? "Are Messi's supporting cast doing their jobs?" He's just spent a minute telling you they weren't...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

weisses wrote: »
    Komop rooie duivels

3-1 for Belgium

tut tut. It's

"Kom op rode duivels"

Get it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Messi reading out their message about respect for others and the crowd starts booing him..

What a load of rubbish this proving that footballers can read section is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Alkin should not be allowed commentate on any matches with Messi in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭LordAwesome

Brian Kerr not a fan of anti discrimination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

murpho999 wrote: »
    tut tut. It's

"Kom op rode duivels"

Get it right.

life%20of%20brian.jpg

How about a banner saying

FIFA SAYS NO TO TAKING MONEY

?

Is the Argentinian manager auditioning for a part in The Sopranos?

Messi reading out their message about respect for others and the crowd starts booing him..

Yes, that's the Brazilian crowd. I'm actually starting to like them less after this world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Belgium won't last long giving Messi that much space!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Hate seeing Brazil, Germany and Argentina all wearing white shorts.

I thought waving an imaginary card was a yellow card offence nowadays?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭LordAwesome

Brian Kerr considers imaginary card waving a more serious issue than anti-discrimination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

He definitely dived though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Higuain! 1-0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Fantastic Finish!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Nice early goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Great finish...Higuain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS