Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Argentina vs. Belgium (QF3) 17:00, 5 July

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Can't wait to see Eamon talk his way out of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Good riddance to Belgium, didn't like how they played at all.

Argentina not great either though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Not much creativity in that Belgian team unless Hazard is on his game and he definitely wasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ronnie Whelan thinks no one will win the World Cup! Someone has too, surely ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Fellaini is dirt.....nothing more than a passenger in their games.

How can you say that Argentina can't win it whilst they are in the semi final?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

An achievement for Belgium to get this far but pre tournament I think we all expected a bit more from them I,m a bit disappointed in their performances I don't think they brought as much to the tournament as say USA or Chile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Three quarterfinals played, and all three have been very underwhelming, IMO.

Three of the 4 finalists are decided now, and they are pretty much the teams that were generally expected to be playing in the Semi's. Unfortunately none of them has actually really been convincing, or playing a free flowing game. Are the other talented teams just too weak, or too inexperienced?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭LordAwesome

FFS Ronnie it hasn't been the "Premiership" since 2007.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭egghead.

greendom wrote: »
    Ronnie Whelan thinks no one will win the World Cup! Someone has too, surely ?

The idiot is strong in this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Vincent Kompany is very angry with the defeat

https://vine.co/v/MwWdmz3zDB5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Darragh Maloney on Fellaini: "He's not a Manchester United player"

What the fúck does that even mean? If he's signed by Man United, picked for their starting XI, earning wages from them, then surely he's a Manchester United player no?

It's something that's been branded about too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

That_Guy wrote: »

What the fúck does that even mean? If he's signed by Man United, picked for their starting XI, earning wages from them, then surely he's a Manchester United player no?

Calm down, it's a figure of speech :pac:

Why is Ronnie Whelan such a #%&@?

That_Guy wrote: »

Quite obviously he means he's not of Manchester Utd's normal required standard and I don't think he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,979 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Belgium out in the QFs as I predicted. They just don't have enough experience of this sort of football yet. I fancy them strongly for the Euros in two years time.

I can't believe this Argentina team are in a World Cup semi-final, they don't look good enough in midfield to be there. They are there though and just two wins from winning it all.

Calm down, it's a figure of speech :pac:

Let me have my outrage!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

eagle eye wrote: »
    Belgium out in the QFs as I predicted. They just don't have enough experience of this sort of football yet. I fancy them strongly for the Euros in two years time.

I can't believe this Argentina team are in a World Cup semi-final, they don't look good enough in midfield to be there. They are there though and just two wins from winning it all.

Only if they get a better Manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Yea, Fellaini has to be one of the poorest Man Utd players I've ever seen.

In fairness, Ronnie made a good point about peoples' expectations of the Belgium team based on their Premiership players. They may be over-rated alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

I fancy them strongly for the Euros in two years time.

Really? They looked less imaginative on the ball than Ireland under Trappatoni today. Really really awful second half performance from them, and their shape completely doesn't suit their best players in Hazard and De Bruyne.

Ronnie is such a smug ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,979 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Really? They looked less imaginative on the ball than Ireland under Trappatoni today. Really really awful second half performance from them, and their shape completely doesn't suit their best players in Hazard and De Bruyne.
    I think they needed the experience of this level of competition as I said. They now know what they need to do to get to the next level and they have the players to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Too many BPL players. Belgium are effectively another England. Draw your own conclusions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Neil Lennon is some man.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭LordAwesome

murpho999 wrote: »
    Quite obviously he means he's not of Manchester Utd's normal required standard and I don't think he is.

Nani, Welbeck, Cleverley, Carrick, Smalling, Jones, Rafael.

Seems to me that Fellaini fits well with Man Utd's normal standard!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

murpho999 wrote: »
    How can you say that Argentina can't win it whilst they are in the semi final?

In fairness if Costa Rica cause a shock tonight no one will give them a chance either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

No surprise with the 3 q final winners to date .France Belgium and Colombia all had a fairly smooth passage to the quarters and people believe they are better than they are. The 3 traditional big guns all safely in the semis without having impressed to much either.

Too many BPL players. Belgium are effectively another England. Draw your own conclusions.

Bit harsh on Belgium tbh. They've got some great players but aren't being executed properly. Likewise with Argentina.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

It was a poor game. I was disappointed with Belgium and Argentina.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I'm not that upset we're out, but I absolutely despise it that they basically bent over towards the Argentinians and hardly put up a fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Very disappointing game and I thought Belgium were a bit gormless chasing it. I expected a much better game than the one we got. Overall a solid defensive display from Argentina and there seemed to be a bit more of a balanced team effort today.

I think they needed the experience of this level of competition as I said. They now know what they need to do to get to the next level and they have the players to do it.

The experience I agree with...and this tournament will definitely help them in that regard.

But I still think they need a tactically more astute manager than Wilmots.

Who that would be from the Belgian league though....not so sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Argentina arevery ordinary and waiting to get slaughtered by (presumably) Holland- just like against Germany 4 years ago. Argie team in 2006 was far superior.

TBH I think Holland are the best team left in the competition.

The experience I agree with...and this tournament will definitely help them in that regard.

But I still think they need a tactically more astute manager than Wilmots.

Who that would be from the Belgian league though....not so sure.

Nobody.

There isn't a single coach in the Belgian league that I would want in charge of the national team.

Wouldn't mind a Dutch or German coach.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Nobody.

There isn't a single coach in the Belgian league that I would want in charge of the national team.

Wouldn't mind a Dutch or German coach.

What would the view be in Belgium about Wilmots?

Are people happy with him as coach?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Anyone got a reliable update on Di Maria's injury?

What would the view be in Belgium about Wilmots?

Are people happy with him as coach?

Great for building a team and forming a good team spirit, but tactically very naive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I wasn't impressed at all with Belgium this tournament to be honest.

Pre-tournament I thought they'd meet Germany or Portugal in the last 16 so they essentially went one round more than I had them down for, but they stumbled through all of their group games and offered absolutely nothing against Argentina. They could have played for a fortnight and not troubled the Argentinian goalkeeper.

They've become vastly overrated as they are now one of these not-so-dark "dark horses", but to me at the minute they appear to be less than the sum of their parts. They'll qualify for Euro 2016 at a canter but they've got plenty of work to do between now and then before they are capable of living up to the hype that they will no doubt generate again ahead of that tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Paully D wrote: »
    I wasn't impressed at all with Belgium this tournament to be honest.

Pre-tournament I thought they'd meet Germany or Portugal in the last 16 so they essentially went one round more than I had them down for, but they stumbled through all of their group games and offered absolutely nothing against Argentina. They could have played for a fortnight and not troubled the Argentinian goalkeeper.

They've become vastly overrated as they are now one of these not-so-dark "dark horses", but to me at the minute they appear to be less than the sum of their parts. They'll qualify for Euro 2016 at a canter but they've got plenty of work to do between now and then before they are capable of living up to the hype that they will no doubt generate again ahead of that tournament.

totally agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Reports saying a thigh tear for Di Maria and he's gone for the rest of the tournament....if Aguero doesn't recover there is now incredible pressure on Messi to carry the team. Higuain played well yesterday and Lavezzi was decent but this is a massive setback for the Argies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Love it. Shame it wasn't to a right footed player.

Love it. Shame it wasn't to a right footed player.

He played that like a snooker shot...

That's the thing about Belgium....they had a lot of PL 'household names' and that seems to have blinkered some pundits i.e. those who cannot see past the BS in the PL.

I for one was not surprised by Algeria. Against England 4 years ago, they played and passed them off the pitch. All they missed was a decent CF.

Of course if a team does not have a PL player they must be crap...:rolleyes:

There are very few mugs in international football nowadays.

Advertisement