Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netherlands vs. Costa Rica (QF4) 21:00, 5 July

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Anyone else spot the chap in the Ireland jersey in the stands? He was surrounded by Dutch fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I'd absolutely love to see Argentina smash Netherlands, their behavior throughout that penalty shootout was disgraceful.

Agreed, plus the diving etc. Also Germany to smash Brazil after cynical-foul-fest 2014 against Colombia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Brilliant move by Van Gaal changing the goalie. Not because one keeper is better than the other at saving peno's;but because psychologically it gives a massive boost to the sub keeper but also places doubts in the minds of the Costa Rica players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

Headshot wrote: »
    ****ing delighted, only one team wanted to win the match and they got what they deserved in the end

Costa Rica have players playing in the 2nd division in Mexico,do you think they didnt want to win the game?
    This was the only way Costa Rica could have won and they got so close as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Krul went the right way for every peno. Waited on everyone I guess.

Van Gaal. Balls of steel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

efb wrote: »
    I think FIFA should make a statement on that behaviour- it's not on

Agree it was a bit much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

WTF is wrong with what Krul did?

They're professionals, not babies, if they can't handle a bit of a staredown then tough sh*t. Keepers have to put up with players taking their time and arsing around in the run up the whole time yet when the keeper tries the equivalent he's a scumbag apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

best team won and the best 4 teams are now in the semis. Van Gaals call comes off he was either going to be called a genius or an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

HOLLAND!!! Brilliant stuff, bye bye Costa Rica and Ruiz with your fake injury in ET.

Dutch the only team trying to actually win the game instead of go to penos. Screamed my lungs out at those 2 Krul saves. Legend. March on, Argies next!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Krul game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Turtwig wrote: »
    Van Gaal is a good manager but he's not the equivalent of a messi in management why all the fapping?

Tbf some have gone a whole 12 months without a fap so if it seems a bit aggressive at the moment it's simply frustration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

It's sly and scummy what if other teams start it? It will be worse than cricket

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Can someone explain the outrage over what Krul was doing?

He even gave the ball to one or two of the Costa Rican takers which was very nice of him I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I'd absolutely love to see Argentina smash Netherlands, their behavior throughout that penalty shootout was disgraceful.

I think you may be going a tiny little bit overboard there.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kat97

Gutted :( Krul should not have been allowed to intimidate players like that. Really horrible. I hope Argentina beat them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Netherlands have played much better football and been much more entertaining than Argentina all tournament. Would like to see the Dutch win based on that rather than a bit of playacting for 2 mins during penalties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Can someone explain the outrage over what Krul was doing?

Walked up to all the Costa Rican penalty takers and tried to psyche them out and intimidate them.

Fair play I suppose.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

jodaw wrote: »
    Exactly ... Ego sub by vanGaal
    Larf larf larf.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

a19_zps6d4655f9.gif~original

Come on Holland!!!!!!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

****ing delighted, only one team wanted to win the match and they got what they deserved in the end

Nah, pretty sure Costa Rica wanted to win it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Great tactical decision to hold the mighty Costa Rica to a 0-0 draw and scrape through on pens.

It's hardly their tactics in the whole game that he's being praised for, but having the balls to make a sub like that in such a big game, very few managers would think of it.

Fair play to Krul, some contribution to make when he's coming in completely cold, what a way to make your World Cup debut!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

What a great man LVG is. Very intelligent.

I'd like to see Robben and RVP win the world cup. Great lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Great tactical decision to hold the mighty Costa Rica to a 0-0 draw and scrape through on pens.

'Great' performance by Costa Rica to park the bus the entire night and play for penalties. Difficult much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

8-10 wrote: »
    HOLLAND!!! Brilliant stuff, bye bye Costa Rica and Ruiz with your fake injury in ET.

Dutch the only team trying to actually win the game instead of go to penos. Screamed my lungs out at those 2 Krul saves. Legend. March on, Argies next!!

Ruiz 1 "fake" injury vs Robbens constant theatrics.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭snaphook

Costa Rica played for penalties.
    It went to penalties.
    Costa Rica are out.

Sho long.

WTF is wrong with what Krul did?

They're professionals, not babies, if they can't handle a bit of a staredown then tough sh*t. Keepers have to put up with players taking their time and arsing around in the run up the whole time yet when the keeper tries the equivalent he's a scumbag apparently.

Coming up and talking to the players like that is not on. All the pressure is on the kickers, that's just being scummy

Ruiz was fouled btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭jodaw

Them smug dutch heads will be disappointed at some stage

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

That shoot-out was like watching Han solo getting frozen in carbonite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Harsh comment. Costa Rica played with heart and to me, looked like they wanted to win. They played the hand they were dealt.

They've lit up this tournament IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Only 1 team trying to win the game and they went through. Great saves . Bit of a stare down is nothing to be getting upset over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Dutch obviously played for penalties... I hope the argies tear them apart.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

vidor wrote: »
    Nah, pretty sure Costa Rica wanted to win it too.

Not in extra time they didn't! Slowing it down as much as possible. 1 chance is all they had

Thought Dutch were way more up for it in extra time, Costa Rica 100% wanted penos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Costa Rica goalie tried the same crap with RVP before the first pen. The holy brigade will ignore this though

Anyone but scummy holland at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

That was genius how LVG brought on the better goalie for penalties. What presence of mind. I hope we never hear the end of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Van Gaal... GEEEEEENNNNIIIIUUUUSSSSS :DDD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

What is the fascination with Van Gaal's testicles? Fair play to Krul...some of the stuff he did was not needed and a little unfair but fair dues to him, guessed right every time. Holland looked poor though. Van Persie had a shocker. Argentina should take care of them if Di Maria and/or Aguero are back

'Great' performance by Costa Rica to park the bus the entire night and play for penalties. Difficult much.

Yeah, it is difficult actually - have you seen where most of their players are based? At home, with a smattering of Norway and maybe 3 known players. And they kept a world class strike force out for 120 minutes. What were they supposed to do, play tiki-taka and get smashed 5-0?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

"Cleeks", well that's a new one.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    That shoot-out was like watching Han solo getting frozen in carbonite.

Bambi's ma getting killed :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Best team won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭jodaw

Anyone but scummy holland at this stage

well said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

CptMackey wrote: »
    Only 1 team trying to win the game and they went through. Great saves . Bit of a stare down is nothing to be getting upset over

Staredown is fine. Walking up and handing the ball to the kicker is just being a cock. And I say this as a keeper myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Have you ever posted anything else than utter nonsense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

What is the fascination with Van Gaal's testicles? Fair play to Krul...some of the stuff he did was not needed and a little unfair but fair dues to him, guessed right every time. Holland looked poor though. Van Persie had a shocker. Argentina should take care of them if Di Maria and/or Aguero are back

Van Gaal is a genius, that is all. Goodnight and good luck xDD

Ruiz 1 "fake" injury vs Robbens constant theatrics.....

Again it's the intention. Robben wants to win. Ruiz doing it to stop the game and slow down the clock to get to penos. Robben was way more attacking focused than Ruiz in his actions and the better team went through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Coming up and talking to the players like that is not on. All the pressure is on the kickers, that's just being scummy
    But stopping during your run up is fair game? Dont actually think the Costa Ricans did, but you see it typically more often than not these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

8-10 wrote: »
    Not in extra time they didn't! Slowing it down as much as possible. 1 chance is all they had

Thought Dutch were way more up for it in extra time, Costa Rica 100% wanted penos

Yeah, they wanted to win it. But knew their limitations and played to they're strengths. Just wasn't to be in the end, nearly paid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

On the balance of the game, the Dutch deserved it and tbh I think Argentina vs Netherlands makes for a much better game

• Advertisement
Advertisement