Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netherlands vs. Costa Rica (QF4) 21:00, 5 July

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

'Great' performance by Costa Rica to park the bus the entire night and play for penalties. Difficult much.

WTF does that even mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

What is the fascination with Van Gaal's testicles?

Have you seen the size of them? They are so much bigger than the average man's testicles. That's where most of the fascination is stemming from, I would think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

That was genius how LVG brought on the better goalie for penalties. What presence of mind. I hope we never hear the end of this.
    Never done before in the WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

What is the fascination with Van Gaal's testicles? Fair play to Krul...some of the stuff he did was not needed and a little unfair but fair dues to him, guessed right every time. Holland looked poor though. Van Persie had a shocker. Argentina should take care of them if Di Maria and/or Aguero are back

Great second save from him, and good point about guessing right each time, didn't notice that but you're right. Top keeper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

8-10 wrote: »
    Again it's the intention. Robben wants to win. Ruiz doing it to stop the game and slow down the clock to get to penos. Robben was way more attacking focused than Ruiz in his actions and the better team went through.

You can't justify Robbens behaviour and slate Ruiz.

It's cheating either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Billy86 wrote: »
    Krul had definitely been doing a LOT of penalty training also, guessed every penalty correctly.

I don't think it was guessing, the Portuguese keeper Ricardo used to do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

chupacabra wrote: »
    Van Gaal is a genius, that is all. Goodnight and good luck xDD

I beg to differ...Holland have farted their way through this WC save the game against Spain. Meh I'm not one to ruin this crazy crush with Van Gaal, all will be spoiled in the upcoming season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

All this lip service to Van Gaal for making the amazing decision for subbing a keeper for a penalty shoot out.. you would swear he was the first manager to do it... sure Sligo swapped in Ciaran Kelly against Shels a few years back in time for their shootout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Krul makes me hope the dutch lose. What a wanker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,596 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

keith16 wrote: »
    Harsh comment. Costa Rica played with heart and to me, looked like they wanted to win. They played the hand they were dealt.

They've lit up this tournament IMO.

They did, that doesn't mean they're not a very limited side.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

But stopping during your run up is fair game? Dont actually think the Costa Ricans did, but you see it typically more often than not these days.

It's not as bad as coming up sledging players

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Never done before in the WC.

Whoaaaa!

What is the fascination with Van Gaal's testicles?
    Ask Luca Toni.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Cienciano wrote: »
    WTF does that even mean?

Surely you're long enough on Boards by now, to have figured out what it means?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭rozeboosje

Everybody stop with that flauwekrul over kul ... Krul... Kul... whatever. We won w00t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I don't think it was guessing, the Portuguese keeper Ricardo used to do the same.

And with his gloves off if I'm not mistaken! What was that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DM360

Can't understand the faux outrage at Krul's behaviour. This "FIFA should make a statement" lark is just ridiculous and nothing but sour grapes. There are far more important issues to address when it comes to sportsmanship in this WC.

Krul played mind games a little but it's just the same as players messing around during their run-ups and not even as bad as faking injury to waste time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Omackeral wrote: »
    Staredown is fine. Walking up and handing the ball to the kicker is just being a cock. And I say this as a keeper myself.

Players are constantly doing stupid run ups and other crap so I have no problem with it.
    They didn't miss because he handed the ball to them

Van Gal better have big balls their is that many of ye sucking out of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

inforfun wrote: »
    Have you ever posted anything else than utter nonsense?

I don't know, that would be down to interpretation. One man's rubbish is another man's valid opinion.

You can't justify Robbens behaviour and slate Ruiz.

It's cheating either way.

Fine I retract that. But I'm happy Costa Rica lost, they weren't as good on the night and in my opinion were more negative in extra time. Dutch looked like they wanted to score in extra time, Costa Rica looked like they wanted penalties.

Argentina v Netherlands is mouth-watering.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Umadbrah?

All this lip service to Van Gaal for making the amazing decision for subbing a keeper for a penalty shoot out.. you would swear he was the first manager to do it... sure Sligo swapped in Ciaran Kelly against Shels a few years back in time for their shootout.

Big difference in doing it in some league of Ireland match as opposed to doing it in the world cup quarter final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

chupacabra wrote: »
    Van Gaal is a genius, that is all. Goodnight and good luck xDD

Krul deserves more credit than Van Gaal does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Poor form from Krul for the penalties, acted like a dick throughout.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

DM360 wrote: »
    Can't understand the faux outrage at Krul's behaviour. This "FIFA should make a statement" lark is just ridiculous and nothing but sour grapes. There are far more important issues to address when it comes to sportsmanship in this WC.

Krul played mind games a little but it's just the same as players messing around during their run-ups and not even as bad as faking injury to waste time.

It's not sour grapes if it's not there will more of this and defenders doing it to players before free kicks. It is scummy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭CptMackey

efb wrote: »
    Van Gal better have big balls their is that many of ye sucking out of them.

You really don't like the Dutch . They deserved to go through imo. Played all the football. Robbens diving included

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,596 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

522f2fbeada2d-Gaaljuichen.gif

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Ruiz 1 "fake" injury vs Robbens constant theatrics.....

He did it twice. And both times while the Dutch were in good attacking positions. Incredibly he had remarkable recoveries once the Dutch attacks came to an end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

It's not sour grapes if it's not there will more of this and defenders doing it to players before free kicks. It is scummy

Scummy? Lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

He's not coming up to sledge off players. Keepers walk up to stand in front of the taker, wait for them to look up and watch them walk back toward goal because apparently it makes them look bigger in the goal. It's a psychological thing.

• Advertisement

Why so?

I think its worse. The goalkeeping equivalent to stopping the run is to come well off their line. One is psychological, the other is pretty much cheating.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Love the way they dug in and got a result despite the obvious talent advantage of the dutch, I enjoy that about football just as much as the prety stuff

Best team went through in the end for sure but max respect to Costa Rica for making them fight for every inch of it

van Gaal deserves a huge amount of credit, not just for this tournament but for their incredible qualifying campaign in the run up. And that Spain game.

He's a truly excellent coach, one of the best Europe has produced in my opinion.

CptMackey wrote: »
    You really don't like the Dutch . They deserved to go through imo. Played all the football. Robbens diving included

They are cynical they are not playing wonderful football of the 70's. Scummy in the last WC and their sub goalie was scummy tonight.

Come on Argentina!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

WTF is wrong with what Krul did?

They're professionals, not babies, if they can't handle a bit of a staredown then tough sh*t. Keepers have to put up with players taking their time and arsing around in the run up the whole time yet when the keeper tries the equivalent he's a scumbag apparently.

Oh, just a little thing called unsporting behaviour which is stated in the FIFA's Laws of the Game as a cautionable offence.

So yes, there was something wrong with what he did.

Umadbrah? wrote: »
    Big difference in doing it in some league of Ireland match as opposed to doing it in the world cup quarter final

In fairness it wasn't just some league of Ireland match. It was the FAI Cup final in the Aviva Stadium in front of 35,000. That's the highest level those lads will probably ever play at. So it's not just some Mickey Mouse thing. It's a cup final shoot out, just as courageous actually in that it's the actual final.

Also, a League match couldn't exactly go to a shoot out could it?! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

It is scummy

Is it as bad as saying mean things on the internet for example?

He's not coming up to sledge off players. Keepers walk up to stand in front of the taker, wait for them to look up and watch them walk back toward goal because apparently it makes them look bigger in the goal. It's a psychological thing.

He was speaking to the first CR player that missed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Tony Krul to rival De Gea as United keeper next year...calling it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Fair play to Krul, if you don't like it as a penalty taker stick the ball in the net and laugh at him. The faux outrage is pathetic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DM360

Scummy? How is it scummy? Relative to other offences on the pitch it's nothing.

If staring someone down is scummy, what would you call Brazil and Colombia kicking seven shades out of each other yesterday, deliberately targeting the opposite teams best players? What about the rampant diving and time wasting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Didn't realise we had so many Dutchmen on boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Keepers have been at similar things for years. It's gamesmanship and up to the ref to deal with it.

It's a nothing story being concocted on here by over emotional underdog fans that didn't get the result they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭jodaw

8-10 wrote: »
    van Gaal deserves a huge amount of credit, not just for this tournament but for their incredible qualifying campaign in the run up. And that Spain game.

He's a truly excellent coach, one of the best Europe has produced in my opinion.

He is an arrogant tosspot:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Where were van gal big balls when it came to van Persie. He was shocking. He could have cost them the game.

AdamD wrote: »
    Didn't realise we had so many Dutchmen on boards

Dutch fans, but nice try. Whenever Ireland don't qualify for a tournament I'm Oranje all the way! Hup Holland Hup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

He was speaking to the first CR player that missed

Even if he did, so what? His job is to put off the taker and save penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

I suppose this means Paul Cook is a managerial genius as well

jodaw wrote: »
    He is an arrogant tosspot:pac:

So's Mourinho. Doesn't mean he's crap

• Advertisement

Tony Krul to rival De Gea as United keeper next year...calling it

If you're gonna go calling it at least get the chaps name right.

Advertisement