Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netherlands vs. Costa Rica (QF4) 21:00, 5 July

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Turtyturd wrote: »
    That joke wasn't funny any of the other times.

Lighten up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Navas named MOTM.

Deservrdly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,596 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

sonic85 wrote: »
    Fair play to the costa ricans they made a right go of it.

Come off it they were crap in everything except getting bodies behind the ball, they excelled at that.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭jodaw

Who do you think the Special One learned all his mind game tricks from?

But now the master will become the student

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

efb wrote: »
    I was going for the picture, I you want a guy with followers:

daraobriain: Ah, that's sad. Not just for the fairy tale ended, but with Krul being such a dick throughout the penalties.

So a comedian on twitter with a lot of followers agrees with you. Thats interesting alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

By the way, did Hiddink try similar to bring on his substitute keeper near the end of Australia's game with Uruguay at the 2006 World Cup qualifying play-off but play didn't stop so he couldn't make the change, or is my mind playing tricks on me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Van Gaal coming out of tonight appearing to some to be a tactical genius........despite the fact that he couldn't tactically engineer a goal v Costa Rica.

Hmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Pathetic stuff from Giles et al re Van Gaal's decision to bring Krul on.

Anything that's innovative scares them.

"Why would you do that Bill?"

Why wouldn't you if you've two 'keepers - One who's better at saving penalties and one who's better generally.

Hardly innovative, saw it in the FAI cup final about three years ago. What annoys me is all these keepers who are good at saving penalties just step about 3 yards off the line then dive outwards as well. Officials on the line and ref at nothing, the saved pens should have been retaken or the rule needs to be scrapped.

Edit: Found a link on RTE. http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/1106/286743-shelbourne_sligorovers_report/ The league of Ireland clubs are the true innovators...

jive wrote: »
    Hardly innovative, saw it in the FAI cup final about three years ago. What annoys me is all these keepers who are good at saving penalties just step about 3 yards off the line then dive outwards as well. Officials on the line and ref at nothing, the saved pens should have been retaken or the rule needs to be scrapped.
    It's pretty much the linesman's only job in a peno shootout too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

CSF wrote: »
    Van Gaal coming out of tonight appearing to some to be a tactical genius........despite the fact that he couldn't tactically engineer a goal v Costa Rica.

Hmmm.
    I suppose his five against Spain will have to suffice, so.

Billy86 wrote: »
    I suppose his five against Spain will have to suffice, so.

They will. The praise that night was far more appropriate than the praise tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

Hmmm.

So it was VG's fault they hit the woodwork 3 times and dominated the game and couldn't score? Mad statement really, he can only set up the team as best he can, down to the players after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Hmmm.

Think that's harsh on Costa Rica. I'm glad they lost and all, but I think they've shown in this tournament that they're no mugs, particularly in topping the group that they did.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    That joke wasn't funny any of the other times.

:eek:

• Advertisement

Lapin wrote: »
    Navas named MOTM.

Deservrdly so.

I voted for him! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

This game was almost a carbon copy of the Euro 2000 semi final where the Netherlands hammered Italy, but drew 0-0 and lost on penalties. Glad the outcome was better for them this time-in fairness, Costa Rica were playing for penalties from the start. Pretty amazing substitution as well, I reckon the Costa Ricans must have been expecting the other bloke to be in goal, so probably messed them up a bit mentally

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

I love it when people quote sources that they don't read the whole way through.

If a player acts in a manner which shows a lack of respect for the game.
    P.56

Admittedly, it's a bit of a "catch all" term, but Krul's behaviour certainly comes under the remit of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Hmmm.

Ah come on in fairness. They hit the woodwork 3 times plus a string of last ditch tackles and excellent goal keeping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think psyching out the takers from your line or box is fair enough, but going right up to them and doing it lacks class to be honest. Lots of keepers don't do it and still save penalties.

I prefer Holland going through only because it might make a better semi final, but overall they were average tonight against an organised side. Whoever wins this cup will be the least poorest team it's turning out to be.

• Advertisement

bantee wrote: »
    So it was VG's fault they hit the woodwork 3 times and dominated the game and couldn't score? Mad statement really, he can only set up the team as best he can, down to the players after that.

I didn't say it was his fault, but it's not a match that the internet should be lauding him with praise over either.

Wilberto wrote: »

P.56

Admittedly, it's a bit of a "catch all" term, but Krul's behaviour certainly comes under the remit of it.

even the one above it: If a player verbally distracts an opponent during play or at a restart

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

weisses wrote: »
    Ahh they didn't role over ... They where just in the way for 120 minutes

Or do you think Costa Rica going through would be considered deserved ?

Of course not the Dutch were clearly the better team throughout, I am not sure that "deserved" is the correct term for the winners of a penalty shootout anyway, but it would certainly have been far from a far from a disgrace. They made the best use of the resources at their disposal and don't think they should have to apologize for that (Indeed I greatly admire them for it)

EDIT: And I do think the semi final will be all better for the dutch having gone through, as especially after extra time I suspect the CR would have very little left in the tank.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Ah come on in fairness. They hit the woodwork 3 times plus a string of last ditch tackles and excellent goal keeping.

It's still a bad result over 120 minutes. Not something where the internet should be falling over itself in superlatives afterwards.

Wilberto wrote: »

P.56

It is as catch all as can be. By that definition, slowing/stopping a run up for a penalty is every bit as unsportsmanlike (which was my original point).

It is as catch all as can be. By that definition, slowing/stopping a run up for a penalty is every bit as unsportsmanlike (which was my original point).

Don't forget the line above it.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

It's still a bad result over 120 minutes. Not something where the internet should be falling over itself in superlatives afterwards.

The world cup is as much about drama for most people as it is about football. That's why the internet meltdown

I didn't say it was his fault, but it's not a match that the internet should be lauding him with praise over either.

You said that he "tactically" let the Dutch team down, I don't see how he did. He's deservedly getting praise for an unorthodox substitution, and in fairness Costa Rica going through would've been daylight robbery seeing as they set themselves up to hold out for a 0-0 draw.

He was a top coach before the World Cup. I agree that the substitution is getting a bit overhyped but that's what happens when there's an unusual talking point like this. It hasn't happened in a WC game before, if he failed to save any of them and they lost then he'd be getting unfairly slammed for not sticking with the original keeper.

He's a top coach and he got through to the semi's of the World Cup after an amazing qualifying campaign and then topping a WC group which included destroying the incumbent champions. I think the result is hard to argue as a good or a bad. There's just no point in doing so. He made the right sub at the end because the penos were not soft, they needed to be saved and the chap did. Let's wait another week and then judge how good the tournament was.

And again I think you're still being harsh on Costa Rica. Seriously, they've been showing all tournament they're no walkover and you still think that they should be an automatic win

You said that he "tactically" let the Dutch team down, I don't see how he did. He's deservedly getting praise for an unorthodox substitution, and in fairness Costa Rica going through would've been daylight robbery seeing as they set themselves up to hold out for a 0-0 draw.

No. I didn't say that. That is not something I said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Tokarev

namloc1980 wrote: »

But it's all about putting the ball in the net isn't it?

8-10 wrote: »
    He was a top coach before the World Cup. I agree that the substitution is getting a bit overhyped but that's what happens when there's an unusual talking point like this. It hasn't happened in a WC game before, if he failed to save any of them and they lost then he'd be getting unfairly slammed for not sticking with the original keeper.

He's a top coach and he got through to the semi's of the World Cup after an amazing qualifying campaign and then topping a WC group which included destroying the incumbent champions. I think the result is hard to argue as a good or a bad. There's just no point in doing so. He made the right sub at the end because the penos were not soft, they needed to be saved and the chap did. Let's wait another week and then judge how good the tournament was.

And again I think you're still being harsh on Costa Rica. Seriously, they've been showing all tournament they're no walkover and you still think that they should be an automatic win

Costa Rica have acquitted themselves really well in Brazil, but a team of superstars should still always fancy themselves to beat them if they're on their game.

I'm not having a go at Van Gaal here anyway, merely the senseless internet hysteria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

8-10 wrote: »

He's probably the most tactically astute coach left in the competition.

Now if he can get Van Persie firing again they have a great chance of winning it.

No. I didn't say that. That is not something I said.

So you didn't say he "couldn't tactically engineer a goal v Costa Rica"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

A win is a win is a win. Too much emphasis on Van Gaal, I thought Robben deserves a good bit of credit as he was by far the most lively player on the pitch. Sneijder was good in patches. Costa Rica were admirable and ultimately unlucky. Van Gaal's decision to put on Krul was vindicated but it wasn't innovative or that important; the Dutch player's penalties were just superior, Kuyt's in particular was excellent.

So you didn't say he "couldn't tactically engineer a goal v Costa Rica"?

Yes, that is completely different to what you said I said, what I said was just stating a fact, not an opinion. That is what happened tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Was Louis Van Gaal handing out lemons after the game or something?

Seems a few people have a bitter taste in their mouth for some strange reason.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,596 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Seems to me the criticism aimed at LvG has as much to do with his next job as with his current one.

Get used to this you'll be seeing it a lot next season.
    522f2fbeada2d-Gaaljuichen.gif

Scrap the cap!

Costa Rica have acquitted themselves really well in Brazil, but a team of superstars should still always fancy themselves to beat them if they're on their game.

I'm not having a go at Van Gaal here anyway, merely the senseless internet hysteria.

Fair enough, I can agree with that in the most part. But I'm just not surprised about the hysteria I think is the difference. I could see it happening when the sub was made, thinking to myself he'll either be lauded or slated for this, when the saves came I already expected the praise to come in. I'm a big fan of his already so wanting to make sure people realise that he's a great coach for more reasons than simply a gamble of a substitution

• Advertisement

Zico wrote: »
    Was Louis Van Gaal handing out lemons after the game or something?

Seems a few people have a bitter taste in their mouth for some strange reason.:)

HAHAHAHA YOU'RE SO FUNNY

ninja900 wrote: »
    Seems to me the criticism aimed at LvG has as much to do with his next job as with his current one.

Get used to this you'll be seeing it a lot next season.
    522f2fbeada2d-Gaaljuichen.gif

What criticism has been aimed at Van Gaal?

efb wrote: »
    Don't forget the line above it.
    A restart does not occur until the whistle is blown.

Yes, that is completely different to what you said I said, what I said was just stating a fact, not an opinion. That is what happened tonight.

The fact is that the Dutch couldn't score in 120 minutes of football and where my opinion differs to yours is that I think it's down to the players he used within that timeframe to score and not a tactical flaw in VG's setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭weisses

marco_polo wrote: »
    Of course not the Dutch were clearly the better team throughout, I am not sure that "deserved" is the correct term for the winners of a penalty shootout anyway,

The "deserved" reference is based on the 120 minutes before

But the fact the dutch took a very analytical approach towards the shoot outs then i think winning that was deserved as well

I don't think Costa Rica played that defensive in the group ?? could be wrong though

The fact is that the Dutch couldn't score in 120 minutes of football and where my opinion differs to yours is that I think it's down to the players he used within that timeframe to score and not a tactical flaw in VG's setup.

You don't know my opinion on that matter. I just stated the fact that Van Gaal's tactics did not result in a goal yet people are going on like they were Mourinho for Inter's tactics v Barca

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

As a lifelong Sligo Rovers fan, I've seen a similar tactical move made with a goalkeeper before. But hey, to get some perspective. A World Cup semifinal place was at stake here. Unprecedented balls and tactical nous by a manger at the highest level of competition. Luck, a great keeper, the post and some shocking misses kept Costa Rica in the game. And they are the kind of factors no manager can game plan for or take responsibility for. The best team won and the team that deserved to win goes through to the semifinal. Costa Rica were a complete disappointment, they played for penalties and justice was done. And that can only be good for football in the long run. I think the Costa Ricans were capable of much better tonight but they let themselves down imo. Yes they were tired legs late in extra time. But they have several attacks that perhaps showed us what might have been, if they had actually bothered to come out and play. Hopefully they learn from the experience and realise you can't hope to progress through a tournament through penalties alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

You don't know my opinion on that matter. I just stated the fact that Van Gaal's tactics did not result in a goal yet people are going on like they were Mourinho for Inter's tactics v Barca
    His tactics were spot on IMO. Holland were peppering the woodwork all night and RVP missed a few sitters, by his high standards. You can hardly blame LVG for that. He sets his team up, but at the end of the day it's up to the players on the pitch to do the business.

You're contradicting yourself as you're clearly stating your opinion on the matter repeatedly about VG being lauded on the internet. Look we can keep going over and back on semantics, let's leave it that.

I'm still not fully convinced about this one. Yes this statement is true, they should expect to go through.

However given that they helped knock out Italy and England and beat Uruguay and Greece (with 100% peno record), I disagree with your earlier assertion that Holland going through at their expense on penos was "a bad result".

Remember this is the quarter finals of a World Cup, a lot of the Dutch squad have been there before, but this is THE biggest game of the Costa Rican's careers to-date, bar NONE. And if they weren't afraid of their group opponents, the Dutch probably weren't expecting a stroll in the park tonight either.

Should they have expected to go through before the game? Yes, and I think they would have. Should they have expected to win in 90mins? Yes. Would they consider it a bad result if it goes to penos and they go through? Honestly, the more I think about it and your argument that it is a bad result, the more I can't agree. They'll all be thinking it was a good result. The fact that they've gone to penalties and won against a team who have now taken 10 World Cup penalties, none of them soft, and won their only previous shootout with 5/5 scored last week, shows that they did well to get the result that they needed (which is different to the result they expected)

You're contradicting yourself as you're clearly stating your opinion on the matter repeatedly about VG being lauded on the internet. Look we can keep going over and back on semantics, let's leave it that.
    Not thinking someone should be lauded is not the same as thinking someone should be criticised.

• Advertisement
Advertisement