Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netherlands vs. Costa Rica (QF4) 21:00, 5 July

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

weisses wrote: »
    The "deserved" reference is based on the 120 minutes before

But the fact the dutch took a very analytical approach towards the shoot outs then i think winning that was deserved as well

I don't think Costa Rica played that defensive in the group ?? could be wrong though

No I also thought they would be a bit more adventurous than they were based on previous games, it could be they just weren't let tonight of course.

No problem with saying the Dutch deserved to win over 120 btw, the bit about it being disgrace if Costa Rica got through is the sole bit I took exception to.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I've been out celebrating Rovers' win over Pats this evening, so I haven't seen the game. Looking at a 0-0 scoreline over 120 minutes against Costa Rica, I don't immediately see that as a great result for Netherlands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

ninja900 wrote: »
    Come off it they were crap in everything except getting bodies behind the ball, they excelled at that.

Actually I meant overall not just tonight.

Its gas though - man for man the dutch are superior but still people like yourself want the costa ricans to come out gung ho and possibly get well beaten. They played the game the way they thought would get them the win and almost pulled it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Come off it they were crap in everything except getting bodies behind the ball, they excelled at that.

Fúcking hell, that is an amazingly clueless statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,596 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

How many shots on target? How many corners?

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Tokarev

Netherlande had 8 shots on target and 11 corners.

Costa Rica had 1 shot on target and 1 corner.

But the score was 0-0 before pens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Yeah, it is difficult actually - have you seen where most of their players are based? At home, with a smattering of Norway and maybe 3 known players. And they kept a world class strike force out for 120 minutes. What were they supposed to do, play tiki-taka and get smashed 5-0?

I love this patronising. This isn't the Faroe Island we are talking about here. Costa Rica qualified for the World Cup on their own merit. They got to the quarter finals on their own merit. I mean compare this to the ROI, a country that has probably no chance of qualifying for a major tournament in the near future. It's laughable to read it tbh. I love this ah Shure god bless them what else could they have done mentality. Cost Rica was capable of much better, gambled on penalties and paid the price for doing so.

Fúck all. If that is how you judge a football game then that explains how you can come out with such a clueless statement. You should have tried watching the game instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,596 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I did and there was only one side trying to win it. The other one was content to get everyone behind the ball, kick the sh!t out of Robben and hang on for penalties.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

I love this patronising. This isn't the Faroe Island we are talking about here. Costa Rica qualified for the World Cup on their own merit. They got to the quarter finals on their own merit. I mean compare this to the ROI, a country that has probably no chance of qualifying for a major tournament in the near future. It's laughable to read it tbh. I love this ah Shure god bless them what else could they have done mentality. Cost Rica was capable of much better, gambled on penalties and paid the price for doing so.

Well said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Feck all this shyte..

It was just a very entertaining and enjoyable game.

It pretty much, summed up this world cup so far.

I did and there was only one side trying to win it. The other one was content to get everyone behind the ball, kick the sh!t out of Robben and hang on for penalties.

I'm not talking about who was morally right, I'm talking about whether Costa Rica were good or not. You said that they were crap at everything except getting bodies behind the ball. That is an utterly clueless interpretation of how they performed in the game.

As a lifelong Sligo Rovers fan, I've seen a similar tactical move made with a goalkeeper before. But hey, to get some perspective. A World Cup semifinal place was at stake here. Unprecedented balls and tactical nous by a manger at the highest level of competition. Luck, a great keeper, the post and some shocking misses kept Costa Rica in the game. And they are the kind of factors no manager can game plan for or take responsibility for. The best team won and the team that deserved to win goes through to the semifinal. Costa Rica were a complete disappointment, they played for penalties and justice was done. And that can only be good for football in the long run. I think the Costa Ricans were capable of much better tonight but they let themselves down imo. Yes they were tired legs late in extra time. But they have several attacks that perhaps showed us what might have been, if they had actually bothered to come out and play. Hopefully they learn from the experience and realise you can't hope to progress through a tournament through penalties alone.

I agree with alot what you said, But to say Costa Rica were a complete disappointment is just wrong.
    They are a weak team with poor players compared to Netherlands and nobody expected them to be at the knock outs.
    What were they ment to do? Play all attacking football against superior dutch team who would then destroy them?
    They played to there strengths to try and make it throught and failed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

It's funny seeing people trip over themselves to slate Krul for trying to put off the Costa Rican penalty takers. A lot of the same people would have probably praised Dudek/Grobelaar for their efforts in putting off penalty takers in their respective famous shootout performances.

At the end of the day, mind games are a big part of penalty shootouts from both keepers and penalty takers. Doesn't matter how much a keeper stares you out of it, the ball is still 12 yards away from the goals. Best way to get him back is by putting it past him.

Hard luck to Costa Rica. They go home having not lost a single game in a World Cup where they were expected to be Group D whipping boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

Tokarev wrote: »
    I agree with alot what you said, But to say Costa Rica were a complete disappointment is just wrong.
    They are a weak team with poor players compared to Netherlands and nobody expected them to be at the knock outs.
    What were they ment to do? Play all attacking football against superior dutch team who would then destroy them?
    They played to there strengths to try and make it throught and failed.

I don't think they were a weak team at all. This isn't the Holland of Gullit, Van Basten, Koeman, Rikjaard they were playing. What was it? One corner in the game and the Ducth keeper made one save? They already proved they weren't pushovers in this World Cup. Beating Greece and the praise they got for their penalties, was probably the worst thing that could have happened. Because they obviously were looking for a repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

yea, costa made it boring to watch them, glad they paid the price for it. might teach them to play footie next time.

they're also lucky they hadn't just 8-9 players in extra time. should have been 10 certainly but gave just free kick to the dutch.

best team won, by 90%. great tactics. sneijder is a great player.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

8-10 wrote: »
    Think that's harsh on Costa Rica. I'm glad they lost and all, but I think they've shown in this tournament that they're no mugs, particularly in topping the group that they did.

i think they're chancers, they were the lucky team up till now but finally met a tactical team that should make them think again.

everybody loves the bike kicks, the one player drilling through 5 defenders like maradona but that just doesn't cut it most of the time. fail to plan, plan to fail.

I don't think they were a weak team at all. This isn't the Holland of Gullit, Van Basten, Koeman, Rikjaard they were playing. What was it? One corner in the game and the Ducth keeper made one save? They already proved they weren't pushovers in this World Cup. Beating Greece and the praise they got for their penalties, was probably the worst thing that could have happened. Because they obviously were looking for a repeat.

Yes they were weak, one of the weakest teams at the the world cup, they performed above all expectations to defeat the teams they did and to get this far is unreal for them, don't try to make it anything else.

Netherlands are filled superstars with Robben, Van Persie and Sneijder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

This is Rob Schneider in... The bitching long after the match has ended

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Tim Krul has atrocious hair. A million penalty saves wouldn't rectify that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Tim Krul has atrocious hair. A million penalty saves wouldn't rectify that.

That just... Hurtful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

So substitutes have won the last 4 games for Holland, 3 winning goals and Krul's save

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

VEN wrote: »
    i think they're chancers, they were the lucky team up till now but finally met a tactical team that should make them think again.

everybody loves the bike kicks, the one player drilling through 5 defenders like maradona but that just doesn't cut it most of the time. fail to plan, plan to fail.

They topped their group on merit, playing some very nice football against good teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think they overperformed, like a few teams at this WC.

But the lack of tears from them last night showed that they obviously felt they had gone as far as they could, and they knew themselves that the better team won.

I was disappointed with the ref's lack of action for Krul chatting into the face of the CR players at the pens. Some will say alls fair in love and war etc, but its not very sporting. The Dutch have gone down a lot in my estimation for that action alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Am I the only person who sees nothing wrong with what krul was doing. Its a mans game. There is nothing wrong with a bit of phsyching out in the game. Maybe he was wishing them luck. Or showing them his physical presence up close. The pc brigade really need to piss off. The game is ruined enough as it is.

The dutch will get to the final, but I see a touch of the Mayos about them. I think they will bottle it then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

jive wrote: »
    A win is a win is a win. Too much emphasis on Van Gaal, I thought Robben deserves a good bit of credit as he was by far the most lively player on the pitch. Sneijder was good in patches. Costa Rica were admirable and ultimately unlucky. Van Gaal's decision to put on Krul was vindicated but it wasn't innovative or that important; the Dutch player's penalties were just superior, Kuyt's in particular was excellent.

Spot on analysis the key thing was the quality of the dutch penos. A certain group of fans were always going to go OTT if the dutch won on pens the same way the other group of fans would have went OTT if the dutch had lost. Its not the PL this is the world cup.

Netherlands deserved it but they weren't great.

Van Persie had a mare but tbf to Costa Rica they defended heroically.

I can see this world cup being won on pens as none of the 4 remaining teams standout as the winner, to me anyway. I certainly wouldn't be saying any of the teams were brilliant to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

One thing thats obvious, Robben is the Dutch main man, not RvP.

And I'm wondering what is Robben doing these days? He is SUPER fit, almost superhuman (wink wink). For a man that was a crock early in his career he is the opposite of all aging players, he is getting fitter, faster and stronger.

Makes you wonder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Paul Cook changed the keeper in the last minute of extra time in the FAI cup final a few years back, and it was generally perceived as amateur hour in the LoI. LVG does it in the WC, and he has just elevated himself to some sort of a tactical pioneer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Paul Cook changed the keeper in the last minute of extra time in the FAI cup final a few years back, and it was generally perceived as amateur hour in the LoI. LVG does it in the WC, and he has just elevated himself to some sort of a tactical pioneer

The media have elevated him, not himself. ;)

He's already looking at the Argentina game. Interesting that Krul won't start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

WTF is wrong with what Krul did?

They're professionals, not babies, if they can't handle a bit of a staredown then tough sh*t. Keepers have to put up with players taking their time and arsing around in the run up the whole time yet when the keeper tries the equivalent he's a scumbag apparently.

Spot on, lol at the complaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Spot on, lol at the complaining.
    So when van nielstory missed a penalty against Arsenal years ago and they jumped in his face... Is that fair/man's game etc.
    I know they're men but it is unsporting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I'd like to be the first to congratulate Manchester utd on qualifying for the semi final of the World Cup.

nuxxx wrote: »
    So surprising Liverpool fans mocking Van Gaal and singling out Van Persie, brace yourselves, Van Gaal is coming
    And he'll be doing lots of this.......

11501_wtwetewtwe.gif

Well this Liverpool fan was an admirer of LVG long before he agreed to go to Utd. I'd be of the opinion that the most interesting phenomenon on the forum now are Utd fans who seem to have only realised LVG exists and is an interesting character but that's just me.

As a lifelong Sligo Rovers fan, I've seen a similar tactical move made with a goalkeeper before. But hey, to get some perspective. A World Cup semifinal place was at stake here. Unprecedented balls and tactical nous by a manger at the highest level of competition. Luck, a great keeper, the post and some shocking misses kept Costa Rica in the game. And they are the kind of factors no manager can game plan for or take responsibility for. The best team won and the team that deserved to win goes through to the semifinal. Costa Rica were a complete disappointment, they played for penalties and justice was done. And that can only be good for football in the long run. I think the Costa Ricans were capable of much better tonight but they let themselves down imo. Yes they were tired legs late in extra time. But they have several attacks that perhaps showed us what might have been, if they had actually bothered to come out and play. Hopefully they learn from the experience and realise you can't hope to progress through a tournament through penalties alone.

Nonsense. You play to win the game. They dug in and gave themselves every chance to win it accepting the vast technical supremacy of their opposition. Any team that runs themselves into the ground like they did could not be accused of letting themselves down.

dinneenp wrote: »
    So when van nielstory missed a penalty against Arsenal years ago and they jumped in his face... Is that fair/man's game etc.
    I know they're men but it is unsporting

I had no problem with that incident at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

NIMAN wrote: »
    One thing thats obvious, Robben is the Dutch main man, not RvP.

And I'm wondering what is Robben doing these days? He is SUPER fit, almost superhuman (wink wink). For a man that was a crock early in his career he is the opposite of all aging players, he is getting fitter, faster and stronger.

Makes you wonder.
    Bayern physio's & S&C coaches are some of the best in the world. Usain Bolt does some work with there physio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

NIMAN wrote: »

I was disappointed with the ref's lack of action for Krul chatting into the face of the CR players at the pens. Some will say alls fair in love and war etc, but its not very sporting. The Dutch have gone down a lot in my estimation for that action alone.

i didn't like it either, thought the ref should have booked him (btw can a player be booked during a peno shootout?)

iirc Hans Van Breukelen did the same thing in the euros 88 final against the russian peno taker, talking in his face before the kick was taken putting the russian off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Am I the only person who sees nothing wrong with what krul was doing. Its a mans game.

Nonsensical chauvinistic post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Costa Rica were not defensive in the group and I don't think they necessarily set themselves up to defend in this one either. Netherlands dominated the game and forced Costa Rica back....they were outclassed by a better side who somehow couldn't get the ball in the net.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    Nonsensical chauvinistic post.

Or maybe it's just a common phrase used with zero intent of chauvinism intended

I'd be of the opinion that the most interesting phenomenon on the forum now are Utd fans who seem to have only realised LVG exists and is an interesting character but that's just me.

Ya it is just you. And that must certainly rank up there in terms of completely pettiness. Now lets look at the word 'relevance', what relevance did LVG have to a Man United fan before this summer or before the managerial position became vacant? Yes he had no relevance. Should we now start now praising and lauding the next manager who'll takes over after LVG? You know, just in case and to save us from your displeasure.

But while we're at it and to be completely fair and balanced. Maybe we should put all fans of football clubs on notice. That they really need to start singing the praise of their future club managers. Otherwise LuckLloyd will have something critical to say about it.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Or maybe it's just a common phrase used.

How does that change anything? It's a phrase that indicates football is not for women, children or worst of all the sissy gays who would destroy this sport of epic heterosexual manly proportions.

Ya it is just you. And that must certainly rank up there in terms of completely pettiness. Now lets look at the word 'relevance', what relevance did LVG have to a Man United fan before this summer or before the managerial position became vacant? Yes he had no relevance. Should we now start now praising and lauding the next manager who'll takes over after LVG? You know, just in case and to save us from your displeasure.

But while we're at it and to be completely fair and balanced. Maybe we should put all fans of football clubs on notice. That they really need to start singing the praise of their future club managers. Otherwise LuckLloyd will have something critical to say about it.

I just think it's nice that you're catching on to one of the more interesting characters in World Football, that's all. You can consider it growth as a football fan. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭bedrock#1

How does that change anything? It's a phrase that indicates football is not for women, children or worst of all the sissy gays who would destroy this sport of epic heterosexual manly proportions.

Wow...

I think you are reading a lot into that post.

It's not mine so I'll leave you to argue with the poster and you can determine if they are indeed a chauvanist.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I think you are reading a lot into that post.

It's not mine so I'll leave you to argue with the poster and you can determine if they are indeed a chauvanist.

I will only ever attack the post, not the poster ;-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Getting a controversial penalty against Mexico and going to penalties against Costa Rica isn't exactly how you blast you're way to the WC final in glory but the Dutch are still in the Semi's all the same. I think they've been a little bit fortunate with the opposition they've come up against but you can only play who is infront of you. The Mexicans and Costa Ricans were good enough to get out of their groups in any case.

Van Gaal was fortunate to still have 1 more substitution to make before the game went to penalties but seeing as how Costa Rica won their last game on penalties and were hoping to do the same in last nights game, it was hardly a stroke of utter Machiavellian brilliance to plan ahead and use a sub GK like Krul who trained for the occasion.

The Dutch were better footballers and it was pretty evident last night. Costa Rica were over their heads. Fair play to them for getting that far. They can hold their heads up high. Going out on penalties to the Dutch, there was no shame in that.

Nonsense. You play to win the game.

Thank you for that amazing nugget. Your withering intellect is truly overpowering.
    They dug in and gave themselves every chance to win it accepting the vast technical supremacy of their opposition. Any team that runs themselves into the ground like they did could not be accused of letting themselves down.

Here's more of this patronising BS. Vast Technical supremacy my ass. This is probably the most balanced World Cup ever. None of the traditional powers in world football have really stood out or impressed.

Costa Rica beat Uruguay.
    Costa Rica beat Italy.
    Costa Rica a very comfortable draw with England.
    Costa Rica knocked Greece out on penalties.

Do you think the Dutch were vastly more technical superior than any of the above opponents Cost Rica played? The answer is obvious, no of course they weren't. As I already said, in the dying minutes of the game we saw flashes of what might have been. Costa Rica simply game planned wrong and they paid the price.

• Advertisement

I think the keeper shouting in the penalty taker's face before their kick is grossly unsporting. It's not against the rules currently so they should change the rules.

Advertisement