Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netherlands vs. Costa Rica (QF4) 21:00, 5 July

1171819202123»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Pro. F wrote: »
    If that's true then that's awful management. For a small advantage he's ensured the player will never trust him again. Silly behaviour imo.

Judging by his behaviour and attitude during and after the penalty shoot out I don't think he was that put out , Looking at his reaction I think he is ok with his manager's decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Krul doesn't have a great record at saving penalties either. I think the method in the madness was to throw the Costa Rican players, make them think "sh*t, this lad must be good at saving penalties"
    There was a noticeable difference in the quality of their penalties last night than in the previous round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Or maybe it's just a common phrase used with zero intent of chauvinism intended

It was to use a common phrase to imply that players do not need to be kept in a bubble to protect them from the cruel cruel world. I thought CSF was smart enough to realise that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Krul doesn't have a great record at saving penalties either. I think the method in the madness was to throw the Costa Rican players, make them think "sh*t, this lad must be good at saving penalties"

Genius psychological warfare by Van Gaal. If he had of been present at Normandy on the German side during the D-Day Landings I'm sure history would have turned out completely different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Augmerson wrote: »
    Genius psychological warfare by Van Gaal. If he had of been present at Normandy on the German side during the D-Day Landings I'm sure history would have turned out completely different.

Nah, sure he's going to mastermind the German downfall next Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

Always funny when someone spews nonsense. Gets a suitable response from another poster and then they reply with this....
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    :confused:

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

weisses wrote: »
    It's true ... He didn't wanted cillessen to worry about that during the match ... If he needed all his substitutes during the game if wouldn't even have happened ... Cillessen is not good in stopping penalties so it's more then just a small advantage

It's a small advantage to not warn Cillessen about the possibility before hand.
    ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Judging by his behaviour and attitude during and after the penalty shoot out I don't think he was that put out , Looking at his reaction I think he is ok with his manager's decision.

Looking at his exuberant celebration is an extremely poor way to gauge how Cillessen feels about situation.
    Zico wrote: »
    If that's all it takes to undermine the player's loyalty then he's better off without him.

I didn't say anything about loyalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

Nonsense. You play to win the game. They dug in and gave themselves every chance to win it accepting the vast technical supremacy of their opposition. Any team that runs themselves into the ground like they did could not be accused of letting themselves down.

well they were hardly going to stay midfield for the entire game. they didnt do much running to score, twice they got close and 1 corner! they had to run alright, after the dutch. absolutely no digging in from this side, they were trapped and couldn't do a thing about it other than rely on their keeper and hope for penos. they were almost too scared to move forward for fear of losing possession leaving their defence wide open to a dutch attack.

they let themselves down for not playing football out of fear, it would have been a disgrace to see an undeserved team crawl into the semis on penos in all fairness just cos they played well against teams that were not really up to scratch. no comparison, its about this game not the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

If that's true then that's awful management. For a small advantage he's ensured the player will never trust him again. Silly behaviour imo.

The more people you let in on the secret tactic, the less likely it will be a secret. Somebody got it right here last night. They post that it was because the Costa Ricans would have prepared for Cillessen and researched him. Who posted that? Too lazy to look back and check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Putin wrote: »
    Always funny when someone spews nonsense. Gets a suitable response from another poster and then they reply with this....

:rolleyes:

I posted a confused smiley because the post I quoted confused me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

It's a small advantage to not warn Cillessen about the possibility before hand.

Looking at his exuberant celebration is an extremely poor way to gauge how Cillessen feels about situation.

I didn't say anything about loyalty.

So is just jumping to the conclusion that he will have lost all trust in this manager especially without any proof except your own opinion , but each to his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

auldgranny wrote: »
    The more people you let in on the secret tactic, the less likely it will be a secret. Somebody got it right here last night. They post that it was because the Costa Ricans would have prepared for Cillessen and researched him. Who posted that? Too lazy to look back and check.

it was Miralize. Fair play

I posted a confused smiley because the post I quoted confused me.

And yet there was nothing confusing about it at all from the exchange I read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

While not the first to do it, there's something really impressive about a manager of LVG's vintage making such an innovative decision. Bodes well for United, unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Putin wrote: »
    And yet there was nothing confusing about it at all from the exchange I read.

Well that seems like a you problem to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,979 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The thing that confused me about the keeper change was that Krul was brought on and not Vorm who has a great penalty saving record.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    So is just jumping to the conclusion that he will have lost all trust in this manager especially without any proof except your own opinion , but each to his own.

It's not jumping to conclusions without proof. The supporting evidence for my statement would be a basic knowledge of normal human behaviour.

The language in my original post was slightly over the top, I'll give you that. But the idea that LVG will have harmed the relationship with his goalie is sound.

Well that seems like a you problem to be fair.

If understanding something that is clear and straightforward can be classified as problem, then I'm glad I have that problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

eagle eye wrote: »
    The thing that confused me about the keeper change was that Krul was brought on and not Vorm who has a great penalty saving record.

Vorm puns just don't work as well.

Advertisement