Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on finding home for a rescue kitten

• 03-07-2014 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hello

I will try to be brief,

I found a male kitten down a country lane , looked like it had been abandoned, checked houses in the area etc. became more clear that he was either dumped or lost.

So I took him home with intention of re homing him or bringing him to a rescue centre. I would love to keep him but I have a terrier dog who has not taken to him.

So I rang all the rescue centres & charities in cork but as expected all full. I have ad up on every site; adverts, done deal etc and every re-homing type Facebook page I can think off.

I have gotten the kitten neutered, treated and micro- chipped already and state this in the ads but still no takers.

I know is kitten season but I'm puzzled because on these Facebook re-homing pages I can see litters of kittens being advertised , you know free to good home type adds where there seems to be no care taken as to who takes the kittens, not neutered and a lot of interest in these , I believe this as from the conversations on pages where people just ask to collect the kitten from the house no problem.

Yet I have a rescue kitten who was most likely dumped , neutered , treated and ready to go and no interest?

I do state in the ad that a home check will be done, which a charity said they will do for me as I am trying to deter people looking for free kittens for dog fighting bait etc.

I don't want this to come across as an add itself but is there any other organisation beside the obvious ones that I could try ?

Please does anyone have any suggestions on how I can re-home this adorable kitten? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Maybe try vets in the area, put notices up there and let the reception staff know you have a lovely kitten ready for a home, a lot of people get their cats/kittens from local vets, that's where I got mine they were handed in to be pts by some useless idiot who couldn't be bothered to spay their cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

It can take time. We were in the same situation with a 6 week old kitten my husband found at work. We had her spayed, vaccinated and microchipped and it took us months to find the right home for her. I was horrified at the kind of people who phoned wanting to take her. I could have rehomed her 7 times over if I didn't give a crap where she was going or what would have happened to her.

The sheer volume of people who wanted her as an unspayed outdoor cat or as a Christmas present was shocking. We have 4 adult cats so we got a child gate and kept her in a spare bedroom, only letting them have a look at each other until they got used to each other. A lot of people will be going on holiday this time of year so that doesn't help the situation either. She has a fabulous furever home now with kids who love her and spoil her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 boots2000

Thanks Tranceypoo that’s such a good idea feel stupid for not thinking of it myself ! Must get some more flyers printed then. Yea if only people were responsible there would not be such an overpopulation problem.

Good to know Pumpkinseeds there is other people out there like you who are fussy about who takes an animal and a happy ending for the cat.

Like you the few calls I've had so far, I wouldn't even bother wasting time doing a house visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Have you tried the One Off Rehoming thread on this forum?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Have you tried the One Off Rehoming thread on this forum?

Boots2000, you're more than welcome to post the kitten up in the Rehoming Thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055626371&page=112

The wider you can spread the word, the better chance you have of finding just the right home for him :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

boots2000 wrote: »
    Thanks Tranceypoo that’s such a good idea feel stupid for not thinking of it myself ! Must get some more flyers printed then. Yea if only people were responsible there would not be such an overpopulation problem.

Good to know Pumpkinseeds there is other people out there like you who are fussy about who takes an animal and a happy ending for the cat.

Like you the few calls I've had so far, I wouldn't even bother wasting time doing a house visit.

boots

I cant help or offer any more suggestoins but felt I had to post and congratulate you on your kindness and though in helping out this little guy you have just ended a crappy day for me on a happy note again well done your a star

Advertisement