Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to carry running shoes during adventure race

Options
  • 03-07-2014 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭

I need to carry my running shoes with me during the bike stages of the Carlingford Lough Endurance Challenge this Saturday. My bag of choice isn't big enough to carry my shoes + 2 litre Camelbak + food and other necessary requirements.

Tie the shoes to the bag with laces? Bungee cords?

I really don't want to change pedals so that I cycle in my running shoes!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Can't the food go in jersey pockets and on the bike (in a tribag maybe)? Do you really need the camelbak? Most bikes can take two bottle cages.

Any time Ive done an AR I wear a small rucksack with the run shoes in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭r0n0c

I saw a guy use bottle cages attached underneath his saddle to hold his shoes during the D.A.R

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Personally I'd be inclined to go with toe clips and not use bike shoes. Just leave the running shoes on for the whole race.

I know past winners of GFW have taken this approach

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Swinefluproof

I use a Minoura 2 bottle holder (got it on Wiggle couple of years back) that bolts on to the back of the seat with 2 old metal bottle cages I had thrown around. I had to bend the bottle cages to rise the shoes up from the rear wheel. Worked pretty good on DAR with only 1 transition but I find constant changing of shoes too time consuming. Will try stick on a few pics if I get a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Swinefluproof

Hope these are clear enough to be of some use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll try out the bottle cage thing next time.

On the day I actually fitted the running shoes into my backpack which wasn't too heavy after all. I'm also glad I wore the MTB shoes as the clipless pedals were needed for the steep ascents and descents.

The transitions were pretty quick too as I switched my laces on the MTB shoes to Lock Laces.

The event itself was great, my first adventure race!

Advertisement