Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is there such a difference in price for bundles in different areas ?

Options
  • 03-07-2014 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

I looked into getting phone and broadband and switching from my current set up on fixed wireless and voip phone. I see on the eircom homepage a lot of advertising for efibre and 100Mb download speeds and all that jazz. This is going with phone for €30 a month, going up to €45 after 6 months. Sounds great but unfortunately no efibre here. 

I see the alternate for not being in an efibre area is speeds of up to 24Mb broadband + phone for €30 for 6 months going up to €45 thereafter. Sounds ok, nothing wrong with 24Mb broadband and only 10 a month more than I currently pay.

I check my area to see what's available and these are my options:

Up to 1Mb Broadband + Phone - €30 going up to €45 after 6 months.
    Up to 3Mb Broadband + Phone - €35 going up to €50 after 6 months.
    Up to 7Mb Broadband + Phone - €45 going up to €60 after 6 months. 

Can you explain to me why I would have to pay such high prices for such poor service in comparison with other areas ? Maybe I'm missing something here but it just seems crazy. I'd understand that some lines may be older and not able to support faster speeds but to be charged so much for it just doesn't make any sense to me. 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

I looked into getting phone and broadband and switching from my current set up on fixed wireless and voip phone. I see on the eircom homepage a lot of advertising for efibre and 100Mb download speeds and all that jazz. This is going with phone for €30 a month, going up to €45 after 6 months. Sounds great but unfortunately no efibre here. 

I see the alternate for not being in an efibre area is speeds of up to 24Mb broadband + phone for €30 for 6 months going up to €45 thereafter. Sounds ok, nothing wrong with 24Mb broadband and only 10 a month more than I currently pay.

I check my area to see what's available and these are my options:

Up to 1Mb Broadband + Phone - €30 going up to €45 after 6 months.
    Up to 3Mb Broadband + Phone - €35 going up to €50 after 6 months.
    Up to 7Mb Broadband + Phone - €45 going up to €60 after 6 months. 

Can you explain to me why I would have to pay such high prices for such poor service in comparison with other areas ? Maybe I'm missing something here but it just seems crazy. I'd understand that some lines may be older and not able to support faster speeds but to be charged so much for it just doesn't make any sense to me. 

Hi Awkward Badger

I can confirm the prices you have included above are for areas not currently upgraded to next generation broadband (NGB) or efibre.

I can understand your feelings on this however I will be unable to offer reasons for or behind eircoms operational or pricing structure. I will of course pass your feedback on this to operations.

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement