Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport to Reopen

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

Saw the article and I have to say it's all a bit aspirational. It won't be that difficult to re-open it to light aircraft visitors but I'm not sure if anyone has thought through the notion they can run an air taxi service. For a start you need an Air Operators Certificate or AOC. That is difficult and expensive to obtain and keep. So they would have to piggyback onto a current AOC holders ticket and as most AOC holders are airlines, helicopter and jet operators they won't be interested. Which only leaves a couple of options neither of whom might want to take the risk or even cooperate with the new management.

As for Weston, far from making it a great success. There is a lot of discontent with their management of the airport and discontent is a polite way of putting it.

It would be great to see it re-open in some form or other but the jury is out on whether this will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056643662

Plenty of reading there, but it doesn't paint a good picture of Weston's current operators...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

I'm not sure if anyone has thought through the notion they can run an air taxi service.

Harbour Air website
    We will be back fully operational again early in the new year
    Just didn't say which new year

Harbour Air business plan Irish Independent to include air taxi service.

Boards threads (Harbor Flights Ireland) and (Harbour Air) on Harbor Air seem to indicate that it hasn't been active since 2013.

Is there a market for an air taxi business internal to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Eogclouder

They ****ed up so hard with that airport.

I remember hearing that a long time ago there was land out in oranmore big enough to build runways and a proper airport, they would've been a shoe in for planning permission and Ó Cúiv was urging them to go ahead with it but they never did and then eventually shut. It's a shame the biggest airport in the west is now on a ****ing mountain in Mayo instead of in/near Galway :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Eogclouder wrote: »
    They ****ed up so hard with that airport.

I remember hearing that a long time ago there was land out in oranmore big enough to build runways and a proper airport, they would've been a shoe in for planning permission and Ó Cúiv was urging them to go ahead with it but they never did and then eventually shut. It's a shame the biggest airport in the west is now on a ****ing mountain in Mayo instead of in/near Galway :/

The army firing range in oranmore was were they were looking to build the airport.

• Advertisement

The west needs it

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Eogclouder

How so?

It'd be a massive asset to have an airport capable of handling international traffic to Galway. Shannon's fallen into obscurity the last few years and Knock has pretty much replaced it for European flights. Knock's in the middle of nowhere on a mountain. I think it'd bring a lot more tourism and money to the city. You might see the rise of more suburbs because of it too, the likes of Oranmore growing much bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Eogclouder wrote: »
    It'd be a massive asset to have an airport capable of handling international traffic to Galway. Shannon's fallen into obscurity the last few years and Knock has pretty much replaced it for European flights. Knock's in the middle of nowhere on a mountain. I think it'd bring a lot more tourism and money to the city. You might see the rise of more suburbs because of it too, the likes of Oranmore growing much bigger.

The fact there may be an airport near oranmore will make no difference to its size. The development of the airport into an industrial or commerial business park would. Whilst I'd love to see a proper international airport in galway preferably in the army range site (which has excellent transport connection potential) it will NEVER happen.

Both Shannon and Knock will be alot easier to commute to once the gort/tuam motoway is opened. Also from what I'm reading in the papers Shannon is actually getting busier since the break fron DAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

It's been a money pit for about 20 years. How much longer should we continue to pump money into it when there are 2 major airports within an hour of here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

We don't need Galway airport. Waste of money. Knock and Shannon are not far away and Dublin is only 2 hours away. I hated traveling to Galway on those propeller planes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

It's been said before and doubtless will be again...

Galway is unsuitable as a commercial airport with schedules services. It was kept alive artificially for years b government subsidy via the PSO, as soon as that went there was no commercial vibility in the place.

It can (and hopefully will) make a fantastic private airport, servicing GA and business traffic. Hopefully the new operators will get it together.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Great news on the radio today the Airport is to open again to general aviation and refuelling of aircraft and the emergency services. I wish them the very best hopefully it will be a success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Indeed, I just looked up their website, they seem to have changed it already:

http://www.galwayairport.com/

I also hope (and think) it will be a success!

Indeed, I just looked up their website, they seem to have changed it already:

http://www.galwayairport.com/

I also hope (and think) it will be a success!
    Unfortunately it hasn't been updated. That is the situation from last year before it shut down. They haven't updated the website, as I write this. Which isn't to say it won't be soon.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Both Shannon and Knock will be alot easier to commute to once the gort/tuam motoway is opened.

Not by public transport, both Shannon and knock can't be travelled to for early morning flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Not by public transport, both Shannon and knock can't be travelled to for early morning flights.

Doubt you'd get a bus out to galway airport for a 6:30am flight if there ever is one.

Dont get me wrong, i would love to see a bustling airport.my home house is on the flight path! its great that its reopening esp for emergency services refueling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

You can't get public transport to Galway airport at any hour of the day or night.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You can't get public transport to Galway airport at any hour of the day or night.

And even when it was open, there was only one bus a day!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

And didn't it coincide with precisely none of the scheduled flights? Perhaps a Parliamentary train would have been a better idea.

I hope that whatever deal is being floated doesn't lumber the respective councils with more debts. Let the shareholders eat them, pari passu.

Doubt you'd get a bus out to galway airport for a 6:30am flight if there ever is one.

Dont get me wrong, i would love to see a bustling airport.my home house is on the flight path! its great that its reopening esp for emergency services refueling.

It was a 10 euro taxi from the city! How much is a taxi to shannon or knock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It was a 10 euro taxi from the city! How much is a taxi to shannon or knock?

Dunno. But a luxury coach to Dublin airport is 18 and gives access to a lot more flights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Still hoping it will be a car park. :cool:

I hope that whatever deal is being floated doesn't lumber the respective councils with more debts.

A very important consideration.

Recent media reports that some councils will be facing a cut in their allocation where they have a large property tax base.

Galway is one of te affected councils.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Great news on the radio today the Airport is to open again to general aviation and refuelling of aircraft and the emergency services. I wish them the very best hopefully it will be a success.

Are there details of this available anywhere linkable?

Are there details of this available anywhere linkable?

Listen back to the Keith Finnegan show from yesterday, its all there

snubbleste wrote: »
    Still hoping it will be a car park. :cool:

Fail to understand the negative responses here , talk about knocking your own City.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Listen back to the Keith Finnegan show from yesterday, its all there

No thanks, definitely don't have the time/willingness to do that.

I'd like to update the op with a news story if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Dunno. But a luxury coach to Dublin airport is 18 and gives access to a lot more flights.

Had to travel to London earlier this year for business meetings, the only "reasonable" option was to overnight in Dublin and get an early flight. With that in mind, I hope they bring back the Luton route (the removal of this by Stobart killed the usefulness of the airport to business travellers & tourists alike -Southend didn't do it for galway), it will make it a lot easier to get to London than the options that are currently available.

antoobrien wrote: »
    Had to travel to London earlier this year for business meetings, the only "reasonable" option was to overnight in Dublin and get an early flight. With that in mind, I hope they bring back the Luton route (the removal of this by Stobart killed the usefulness of the airport to business travellers & tourists alike -Southend didn't do it for galway), it will make it a lot easier to get to Londan than the options that are currently available.
    There is no chance whatever of there being commercial airline flights out of Galway again. But if you're rich enough you could charter your own aircraft. Sorry! Knock is now the real galway airport.

• Advertisement

I had to travel to Sheffield last Thursday.

To get the bus to Dublin in time for a flight to get there for a meeting I would have had to leave on a 2am bus, that's not practical so I had to stay in the airport hotel the night before.

On the other hand I could have gotten the same time flight from Shannon, I would have had to get a 6am bus, which although early is much more doable. But there's no bus so I couldn't.

Also the bus to Dublin airport is the most boring 3 hours of a drive I've ever experienced.

I know we have no choice, but there should be a better bus service to knock or shannon, even subsidised, if they want the airports to succeed.

Advertisement