Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives to PhoneWatch - not happy with new product

Options
  • 03-07-2014 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭

We're just looking at an alarm system for a relatives house.

We'd actually had quite good experiences with PhoneWatch to date and actually decent results with our own system having prevented a couple of break ins over the years when a prowler hit a window causing it to sound and scared off the potential intruder.

I enquired about a PhoneWatch system for a relative and they were saying that they're moving to a new Norwegian system that is apparently lacking any vibration sensors and has weird internal PIRs that take photos in the house.

This sounds like a totally stupid setup compared to the old system which was really quite effective!

We discussed it with the relative concerned and she couldn't see the point if there's no window sensors.

The PhoneWatch rep was saying that this new system is 'just how they do things in other countries' and they didn't really have any explanation for the change.

We've literally never had any issues with the inertia sensor setup and it's always been great to be able to open windows slightly and know that they'll alert us if someone attempts to shake them around.

Are there any good alternatives that still have those inertia / vibration sensors and that don't have internal cameras? i.e. something more like the original PhoneWatch installations.

I can't really see the point in having a system that waits for someone to actually break in and damage your home before going off and I certainly don't see why you'd want anyone having camera access to your house!

I mean what happens if you had the alarm on and ran out to the hot press to get a towel !?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Well done OP you hit all issues with PW'S system on the head.

Every single intruder alarm company in this country are capable of installing such a system as you have outlined.
    You may not be aware of this but there are many other monitoring stations in this country which I might add are a lot more competitive than PW.

I would suggest that you get 3 quotations from PSA licenced installers in your own area. Please also make sure that they are in writing and that both shock sensors and contacts are fitted to all vulnerable doors and windows with perhaps a few beams as back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

You'd wonder why PhoneWatch changed what was a successful (if a bit expensive) system.

I can't understand the kind of "just because that's how they do it in Nordic countries" response either. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Seems like a bit of an own goal.

I'd say we'll have a quick phone around and get a few quotes. The main thing is that it's a user-friendly system and that it offers those kinds of features that the original GE alarm systems that phone watch had used to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

You will find they are most of the issues people have with the new system.
    In Ireland we like to protect our windows and door, better to have the alarm activating when an intruder tries to break in than when they are in.

Have a look here for installers in your area, any company that is registered will provide a system that will cover all your needs plus set you up for monitoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

SpaceTime wrote: »
    You'd wonder why PhoneWatch changed what was a successful (if a bit expensive) system.

I can't understand the kind of "just because that's how they do it in Nordic countries" response either. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Seems like a bit of an own goal.

I'd say we'll have a quick phone around and get a few quotes. The main thing is that it's a user-friendly system and that it offers those kinds of features that the original GE alarm systems that phone watch had used to do.

Absolutely the industry has moved on with technology as well as you say just because it works there etc. Maybe Sector do not get the saying 'when in Rome do as the Romans do'.
    Any installer can provide you with full wireless perimeter systems with app control etc.

Advertisement