Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First time boat buyer

• 03-07-2014 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

Could someone give me advice on buying a motorboat, 2-4 berth for use on the shannon/erne.
    The boat is just for a little fishing, and enjoyment of the river.

What are the breakdowns for insurance, tax and use of waterways?
    What are the rough costs for private moorings?

All advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi emwa welcome to the forum,

Insurance will depend on the value of the boat everything in it and the engine inboard or outboard top speed they might also ask where you will be keeping it in summer and winter at a guess I'd say between €200-€300.

No Tax but you may need to register it for free and you will get a nice welcome pack http://www.iwai.ie/boating/boatonthewater.html

For a marina mooring you could be looking at anything between €200 - €400 per meter per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 emwa

Thanks for that fergal!

Any advice on boat types to look at?

2-4 berth, something easy enough to handle by two people, for use in rain and shine!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

You have a huge choice.

Norman
    Freeman
    Microplus
    Fairline weekender
    Shetland family 4
    Hardy

You could also look at some of the sport cabin cruisers like Bayliner, Galeon, Galia, Rinker, Sealine, searay, Larson to name just a few, if you are going to spend a good few quid I would recommend getting a survey done before you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

I bought my first boat 4 months ago.Good luck with your search as it can be a little daunting.
    Found Gumtree and Apollo Duck the best sources for adverts. Donedeal.ie had some decent stuff listed as well.

Get out and look around a marina at the various sizes/styles in comparison with each other.

Churchy wrote: »
    Get out and look around a marina at the various sizes/styles in comparison with each other.

This really is great advice as I found it a great way of comparing boats I wasn't familiar with!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭lockmaster

i have a shetland 570 up in enniskillen on lough eren . private mooring 470 pounds . boat park for winter storage 100 pounds . insurance 129 pounds covers . boat . trailer . outboard . the shetland 570 is a great starter boat and sleeps 2 cooker on board sink basic but great and you can pick them up handy i paid 3000 pounds for mine with a trailer ready to go . just jumped into it and away i went ... had great times on it last year and have spent a lot of time on her this year so far . planing on going down to the shannon next week . all in all the best few bob i have ever spent in my life ..
    here,s a few photo,s of her ..

Advertisement