Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recruiting ex forces

Options
  • 03-07-2014 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello all. I'm new to this forum but I have been following the PSNI posts over the past few weeks. Having spoke to a 'few' people I have heard the PSNI are reluctant to take on ex forces due to the differences in training? Can anoyone point me in the right direction as to whether or not this is correct?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Tbh I couldn't see how they could discriminate against ex-armed forces. It's all done on merit so in my logic, providing you passed the IST, AC, PCA and vetting they couldn't refuse you. If you fail the vetting they must tell you why and you have the option to appeal it. I personally think it's ridiculous if they do just based on training differences. As long as you preform to their targets/standards you're as suitable for the job as much as the rest of us. Did you apply in May??

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Airborne2PARA

Mop a top wrote: »
    Tbh I couldn't see how they could discriminate against ex-armed forces. It's all done on merit so in my logic, providing you passed the IST, AC, PCA and vetting they couldn't refuse you. If you fail the vetting they must tell you why and you have the option to appeal it. I personally think it's ridiculous if they do just based on training differences. As long as you preform to their targets/standards you're as suitable for the job as much as the rest of us. Did you apply in May??

It was just what a few had said so I was hoping so!ebody serving could confirm. No I'm still serving in the Army and I didn't want to sign off and give my years notice without confirmation of the above question. Yourself?

Lol nope, self employed single mum who applied September 2013 and waiting in a call which everyone seems to be getting yesterday or today :(

I know it's not the same but my ex was TA and he never had any bother getting through training. Not much help I know sorry. Hopefully someone will have more useful input. Maybe Shield would be able to help?

Mop a top wrote: »
    Lol nope, self employed single mum who applied September 2013 and waiting in a call which everyone seems to be getting yesterday or today :(

I know it's not the same but my ex was TA and he never had any bother getting through training. Not much help I know sorry. Hopefully someone will have more useful input. Maybe Shield would be able to help?

Well good luck. Hopefully you get a phone call! Thanks anyway its appreciated. Sorry whose Shield?

Moderator And thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 BarnesLeBeau

I'm coming from a military background and I would have thought my service would have brought compatible attributes, team-work, ability to work under pressure, confidentiality etc. I don't see why they would go out of their way to avoid hiring us.

I'm coming from a military background and I would have thought my service would have brought compatible attributes, team-work, ability to work under pressure, confidentiality etc. I don't see why they would go out of their way to avoid hiring us.

I had just been told we are trained to fight through with controlled aggression etc. Whereas the Police training is to take a step back more often than not. I just didn't want to risk leaving my current job to not be recruited because of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭JayC90

Plenty of ex forces in the cops.

If you can pass the application process, you can do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭19087

There's no truth in that. You don't even put down what you do/have done for a job in the application, the people marking your AC will only know who your are by a number given to you on the day. The vetting stage would be the first one where it would come up as you'd have to put your service in the hm clearance application (Yes, you've to do that form all over even if yours is still valid. I have several years left to run on my sc and still had to complete it)So basically the recruitment process is totally impartial. If you show the required competences you'll pass, regardless of your background.

The training will all start from as if you know nothing at all so you'll just have to learn how to do things their way alongside everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

Someones telling you a pile of nonsense for one reason or another. On a side note though depending on where you work, if I were you id keep the para bit under my hat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Juliet Kilo

Don't worry, my partner is ex forces and is through to later stages of previous campaign. I'm sure there are many others. They don't really take background into consideration in any case!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭PutItDown

They won't not hire you, the problem is the entrance tests but you seem to know why already.

Military trains you to just get on and deal with something, police yes you have to take a step back sometimes, be impartial, take lots of notes etc. It will only affect your ability to pass AC etc after that you'll be home dry(touch wood).

Advertisement