Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Capital grants

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Compression tights for all!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

joey100 wrote: »
    Good to see a few triathlon clubs included in the list of clubs awarded sports capital grants.

http://www.dttas.ie/sites/default/files/publications/sport/english/sports-capital-allocations-2014/local-grants-allocated-scp-2014.pdf

So now tell us, what you all buying with your money?? Power meters for the club?? An endless pool to train in??

I count 3 tri clubs. An awful lot of GAA clubs. You'd think the GAA could sort it out themselves given the amount of money they will be raking in from the Garth Brooks conce......oops

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

A lot of GAA clubs getting a lot of money alright, lot of sailing and yacht clubs too.

Think 4 clubs got some and TI as well. We (activ multisport) applied and got what we asked for. Process wasn't too bad, good few little bits and pieces to do but overall fairly painless. Long waiting time though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Wow gaa clubs and tennis clubs get a LOT

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

Underwater Hockey! Wonder what €4k gets you in the UH world, puck all probably

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

What will the GAA do with power meters?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Where does a soccer club get grants from, FAI or sports council, I am new to this area, and the club I am now involved in is looking at this area, any tips guys ?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Don't know about soccer outside the Sports Capital Grants Scheme - probably the FAI.

Inside the Scheme though, the biggest thing is to make sure your application is technically correct - the initial assessment committee will immediately throw out applications not stamped or signed correctly. After that, its serious lobbying of politicians who have something to gain locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Didn't find the scheme like that at all podge. Plenty of stuff to get in order before hand and you couldn't get to the next stage without having all the correct documents, meant we never had it sent back, just took a while to get through all the stages. Maybe it was because of the amount we ordered but no politicians involved in our application at all, just filled in the form and applied for the money with quotes from different suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Joey what sport was it, how much did you ask for and how much of that figure did you get in the end ?
    Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Wow gaa clubs and tennis clubs get a LOT

Yup they do. My kids GAA club starts back tomorrow morning for the Nursery (under 8s). My four year old and five year old will be there along with 500 other under 8s. This is one club. Does the whole of TI have 500 under 18 members? Of course GAA clubs get more they cover more people. Whatever you think about the sports (and remember it covers five sports) the majority of the population like it and hence the money going to it.

Anyways a GAA day for me, coaching in the morning, at the match in the evening with the whole family. Come on the dubs

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

joey100 wrote: »
    Didn't find the scheme like that at all podge. Plenty of stuff to get in order before hand and you couldn't get to the next stage without having all the correct documents, meant we never had it sent back, just took a while to get through all the stages. Maybe it was because of the amount we ordered but no politicians involved in our application at all, just filled in the form and applied for the money with quotes from different suppliers.

Interesting to read what you say. I'm not saying that any politicians were or should be involved in the bid, but knowing one who has an interest in your particular geographical area certainly helps. Our first bid (awaiting the verdict of second bid in the next week or so) failed on a technicality. It was for a larger amount (Not Triathlon related) in fairness. The unofficial feedback we got was that in the County, certain areas benefitted more because of political influences. We played into their hands by having a technical glitch.

The preparation of the bid is for sure a big operation, but its a matter of having all your ducks lined up properly. Regarding the technical side of it, any glitch, if found, will disqualify - probably due to the number of bids received and I'd say its used as a "first filter".

Regarding GAA clubs getting a lot - of course they do, its the national sport and love it or hate it, that's the way it is - higher participation = more grants and to argue against that would be difficult. Also, dare I say it politicians tend to like GAA.

It was great to see some Tri clubs (and TI) benefitting in the last round and hopefully this time they will too.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

I was at a Club Championship game (Plunketts) last year and there were more politicians there than you would see on the front bench on a given day. It's all optics.

Advertisement