Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Launch of new Cork Public Bikes Scheme

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

cgcsb wrote: »
    You should probably abandon the notion of feeling you can park on the main street like any provincial town. Cork is a City. There aren't Dubliners having heart attacks because they can't park on O'Connell st or College Green.

True enough. Look I don't own a business in the City centre and rarely go in there anymore like lots of people because of the parking so it doesn't really matter that much to me. Just giving my tuppence.

I live in the City and it's easier for me to drive out the link to Midleton to do shopping for example that try to arse around the City centre looking for parking.

I'm probably looking at it excessively about business when I think about it to be fair. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,330 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Thanks clerk that was the point i was trying to make. im no ways against the bikes just better planning of any new stations. Also i agree there should be someone zipping around making sure stations have bike. Was at the train station one day and there were none left

There is a van that goes around constantly. It's rare for a station not to have any bikes, but it can happen for a short period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

mire wrote: »
    The spaces allocated for public bikes on South Mall (middle of street) take up a few car parking spaces - this is exactly where the bike stands should be - it should be seen as a re-allocation of emphasis from car-dominated transport policy to multiple modes. There are bikes located on the footpath outside electric. Cork has far too many car parking spaces in the city centre - they should for instance remove approximately 50% of on street spaces on the south mall and 70-80% on Morrison's Island. In their place, they should provide new public spaces, landscaping, seating, cafe pods.

And this is the reason many of us avoid town if at all possible and go somewhere with free parking.

I don't do public transport I like the freedom of my car. I can easily go elsewhere, I just hope the city's businesses agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

FrStone wrote: »
    And this is the reason many of us avoid town if at all possible and go somewhere with free parking.

I don't do public transport I like the freedom of my car. I can easily go elsewhere, I just hope the city's businesses agree with you.

In fairness, you'd need a car when you're walking around window shopping or you need to transport a massive Penneys' bag

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Lol so if your demand for 100% of the road space for your favoured mode is not met the toys go out of the pram.

I'm always amazed at the parochialism in Ireland's second city. Its more of a backward village in many ways.

• Advertisement

Lol so if your demand for 100% of the road space for your favoured mode is not met the toys go out of the pram.

I'm always amazed at the parochialism in Ireland's second city. Its more of a backward village in many ways.

You have to be rational! Why would I inconvenience myself when I have so many other available options.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

The spaces allocated for public bikes on South Mall (middle of street) take up a few car parking spaces - this is exactly where the bike stands should be - it should be seen as a re-allocation of emphasis from car-dominated transport policy to multiple modes. There are bikes located on the footpath outside electric. Cork has far too many car parking spaces in the city centre - they should for instance remove approximately 50% of on street spaces on the south mall and 70-80% on Morrison's Island. In their place, they should provide new public spaces, landscaping, seating, cafe pods.

I'd love to hear your suggestions on how the council can raise the money that would be lost if those parking spaces were removed. Also bear in mind maintaining public space costs money, perhaps the cyclists could contribute :rolleyes:

Personally I don't bother trying to park in town, I use Park and Ride if I need to go to town (with the kids etc) which is rare thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I'd love to hear your suggestions on how the council can raise the money that would be lost if those parking spaces were removed. Also bear in mind maintaining public space costs money, perhaps the cyclists could contribute :rolleyes:
    Maybe they could charge some sort of membership fee or rate for using the Coke Zero bikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

The places with free parking don't offer anything close to the city centre; that's why the parking is free, because the product is poorer.

Most cities in the world don't do free parking in their city centres. It's counter productive. It's basic economic and environmental common sense to ration city centre car parking through pricing mechanisms- otherwise, it becomes saturated by workers, and the retailing declines.

....otherwise, it becomes saturated by workers, and the retailing declines.

l think all the closed shop/units all over the City centre, e.g. mothercare, Hilsers, including Patrick Street, to name just 2 off the top of my head will vouch for the "retailing declines".

The majority of people l know don't go near the City because of the difficulty and exorbitant cost of the parking. Obviously it's not just parking but it is a factor in people decision making.

I was talking to a man at Christmas and the same fellow wouldn't be short of a few bob, he was charged something like €8.40 for 2 hours and 15 minutes of parking and he didn't even get what he wanted. His reaction was never again. Maybe that's why he has a few bob.

• Advertisement

You're a maniac, you like the freedom of your car and a handy parking spot. The City businesses are much better off without your type. :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

clerk wrote: »
    l think all the closed shop/units all over the City centre, e.g. mothercare, Hilsers, including Patrick Street, to name just 2 off the top of my head will vouch for the "retailing declines".

The majority of people l know don't go near the City because of the difficulty and exorbitant cost of the parking. Obviously it's not just parking but it is a factor in people decision making.

I was talking to a man at Christmas and the same fellow wouldn't be short of a few bob, he was charged something like €8.40 for 2 hours and 15 minutes of parking and he didn't even get what he wanted. His reaction was never again. Maybe that's why he has a few bob.

The city center is arguably in a better place than it has been in years, just have a look at Opera Lane and the development of the old cinema on Grand Parade, the Events center, Lapps Quay, Albert Quay. There are some fantastic casual eating and coffee places popping up everywhere. The bike scheme is a great addition to the city, don't see how anyone can think otherwise. It's interesting watching Cork evolve and grow into a real city from a big town.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Cities don't make their policies on the back of anecdotes; thankfully. Evidence and forward thinking is more reliable.

The city centre has a number of issues - and there are too many vacant units on Pana for instance. Other parts such as the lanes, OP Street, Huguenot Quarter are flying. The cost and availability of parking in the city centre is not really an issue. More and cheaper car parking won't make an iota of a difference. This is a handy and convenient myth. What will enhance the city centre is better quality environment and more destination activity.

We must not give in to the provincial mentalities of those who still cling to the country town attitude that one should be able to drive into town and park for free. These are the same voices that argued against pedestrianisation in the 1980's, 1990's. Who proclaimed the end of the city centre when car parking was reduced on Pana, when Winthrop Street, Marlboro/Princes/Cook Street were pedestrianised. These are the same voices that would like large tracts of the city centre to be demolished to facilitate more surface car parking; this is what desperate, dying cities do.

All successful cities change, evolve, and even innovate. The wealthy man who refuses to pay for city centre parking is not uncommon - but does he really expect cheap or free parking in a city centre any more? Is he really that conservative to expect to have spaces waiting for him on Pana? Has your wealthy friend ever left Cork?

Demographics and economics consistently show that there are many many more people who are happy to pay for the cost of parking in city centres - once the end product is good enough. City centres never tarde off convenience - they trade off quality, choice, character, diversity. Yes, we need to look back sometimes, even if it is simply to point out to people that they were wrong then, and they are wrong again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Over 2 hours in Brown Thomas in Dublin costs €10.80. There are only 380 spaces

The places with free parking don't offer anything close to the city centre; that's why the parking is free, because the product is poorer.

Most cities in the world don't do free parking in their city centres. It's counter productive. It's basic economic and environmental common sense to ration city centre car parking through pricing mechanisms- otherwise, it becomes saturated by workers, and the retailing declines.

It's not the free parking that attracts people to the shipping centres, it's the ease of access. Parking is reasonable enough in town, if you can get it.

I can go to somewhere like ballincollig which I think is a lovely town and you might have to pay a fee euro in parking but it is handy and more accessible.

I don't think town has much on ballincollig (main exception is the English market). If you want to go out for a meal, you have plenty of choice in town or ballincollig, but you will get parking in ballincollig.

Over 2 hours in Brown Thomas in Dublin costs €10.80. There are only 380 spaces

that's mad !! l can't afford to shop in Brown Thomas or pay €10.80 for 2 hours parking so l guess I don't need to worry about it. Obviously some people have that kind of money.

TheChizler wrote: »
    There were about 147 spots before, and I think 10 spaces is on the high side.

Passed it today and counted, it's 9/10 spaces they took on South Mall and another 10 on Father Matthew Quay just around the corner a bit as well.

Passed at 2.40pm, there wasn't a space to be had on the Mall.

All successful cities change, evolve, and even innovate. The wealthy man who refuses to pay for city centre parking is not uncommon - but does he really expect cheap or free parking in a city centre any more? Is he really that conservative to expect to have spaces waiting for him on Pana? Has your wealthy friend ever left Cork?

Sorry l can't resist, yes he has he's worked in London and Germany for several Years each and he tells me that their transport systems, e.g. under ground etc. were a bit superior to Cork City so he didn't have to pay for City Centre parking. ;)

Before you ask there's no bicycle lanes or buses to the City where he lives in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

In fairness, there isn't going to a space waiting for everyone who drives along the Mall at 2.40pm irrespective of how many spaces were removed for the bike stands.

I avoid driving to Mahon, Douglas or Wilton because I think the traffic and parking situation there is actually worse than in town. Wilton has that insane "inner ring road" layout with it's very own internal traffic jams and road rage incidents. Douglas is just mayhem, and as for Mahon, it's been jammed any time I have ever gone there. People will waste a lot of time and fuel driving to places with "free" parking and limited choice. I could go to Ballincollig, or I could go and shop in the Lidl in Churchfield and take in the views, the fresh air, the local cultural attractions and the ample lovely free parking, but I'd often rather pay 2.50 per hour to park in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,185 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Passed it today and counted, it's 9/10 spaces they took on South Mall and another 10 on Father Matthew Quay just around the corner a bit as well.

Passed at 2.40pm, there wasn't a space to be had on the Mall.

Do you expect spaces to be available at 2.40pm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

If there were hundreds more free parking spaces in town, how would that help make the city more accessible? You'd just have hundreds of more cars clogging up the roads (not necessarily shoppers - as people said, a lot of workers would be in early to nab those places). So, instead of saying "I can't be bothered to go to town because I couldn't find a park", people would be saying "I can't be bothered to go to town because I'd be stuck in traffic for ages". More cycling improves the situation for drivers by reducing traffic.

And if you want cheap, plentiful parking, why not use the park and ride in Blackash? Nearly a thousand spaces, costs a fiver for the entire day and you help to alleviate the city's traffic problem by not unnecessarily lugging your car into an already packed city centre.

WVYD6.jpg

Paz-CCFC wrote: »

And if you want cheap, plentiful parking, why not use the park and ride in Blackash? Nearly a thousand spaces, costs a fiver for the entire day and you help to alleviate the city's traffic problem by not unnecessarily lugging your car into an already packed city centre.

And what about those of us who aren't Southsiders?

It's a bit saucy at a fiver too considering you can park for €8 all day in town, without the inconvenience of a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

And what about those of us who aren't Southsiders?

It's a bit saucy at a fiver too considering you can park for €8 all day in town, without the inconvenience of a bus.

I thought you were saying parking in town was hard to find. Now you're saying it's less hassle than parking and transport to town from Black Ash?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Anyone saying they would rather go to Mahon hasn't been there in the last 6 months, parking and traffic is insane out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Anyone saying they would rather go to Mahon hasn't been there in the last 6 months, parking and traffic is insane out there.
    Depends on when you go mainly. But I was out there Sat, around 1pm, and traffic was not busy and plenty of parking.
    If traffic/parking is insane there, and yet people still go there, that tells you about the draw of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,185 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The bike scheme has been a huge success in Cork. Over 10k subscribers making 740,000 journeys since it launched in early 2015. Meanwhile just 130,000 journeys have been made in Limerick AND Galway combined in the same period. There's huge demand to expand it further in Cork and it's a great way to get people moving without being in cars, but what are the NTA doing: they have no plans to expand in Cork and are looking to extend the scheme in Limerick and Galway first! Farcical.

No plans to expand Cork bike share scheme despite its popularity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The bike scheme has been a huge success in Cork. Over 10k subscribers making 740,000 journeys since it launched in early 2015. Meanwhile just 130,000 journeys have been made in Limerick AND Galway combined in the same period. There's huge demand to expand it further in Cork and it's a great way to get people moving without being in cars, but what are the NTA doing: they have no plans to expand in Cork and are looking to extend the scheme in Limerick and Galway first! Farcical.

No plans to expand Cork bike share scheme despite its popularity

Well, I can see their reasoning. It's not successful in Limerick or Galway because they don't have enough stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,102 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Victim of its own success. If I see the lemmings filling up the slip roads to get in, I give it a miss and go elsewhere or hold off.

Advertisement