Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Launch of new Cork Public Bikes Scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I can't believe they got rid of at least 10 parking spaces on South Mall to put in these bikes! There aren't enough parking spaces in Cork as it is.

Although it pisses me off every time I see it I'm not surprised the bike spaces at the end of south mall (city hall end) are always taken up by cars, why are they not given tickets / clamped?

Oh and I would defo use the bikes if they had a station in Douglas like someone else said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭ofcork

Saw cars parked in those spaces being noted by the traffic warden the other day!

ofcork wrote: »
    Saw cars parked in those spaces being noted by the traffic warden the other day!

Really? Brilliant!!! Have yet to see it for myself but glad to see they are being checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

kingtut wrote: »
    Oh and I would defo use the bikes if they had a station in Douglas like someone else said.

Douglas is way too far out for a station. There couldn't just be a station in Douglas with none between there and the city centre so there'd have to be a huge expansion in bike stations in between. The stations are supposed to be 400m from one another to make sense.

Why not just buy a bike and cycle in from Douglas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Douglas is way too far out for a station. There couldn't just be a station in Douglas with none between there and the city centre so there'd have to be a huge expansion in bike stations in between. The stations are supposed to be 400m from one another to make sense.

I think extending the scheme into douglas was what he meant, rather than just plonking one there. We might see it happen if they are popular.

And while I have my own bike, I still think I'd use a bike-scheme one to cycle into town and get a taxi/bus home on a night out or something. Wouldn't be too happy leaving my bike in town overnight all on it's own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

kingtut wrote: »
    I can't believe they got rid of at least 10 parking spaces on South Mall to put in these bikes! There aren't enough parking spaces in Cork as it is.

Although it pisses me off every time I see it I'm not surprised the bike spaces at the end of south mall (city hall end) are always taken up by cars, why are they not given tickets / clamped?

There are laods and loads of car parking spaces in cork city. Far too many in fact. It's great to see the bike stands relacing car parking spaces.
    I suspect the scheme will be extended in Cork in a year or two - to Douglas, Wilton, County Hall, Blackrock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

mire wrote: »
    There are laods and loads of car parking spaces in cork city. Far too many in fact.
    Can you provide some details on this stat? There's been days when finding a parking spot was difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Can you provide some details on this stat? There's been days when finding a parking spot was difficult.

you can park off the island as well, you know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

What I think is mad is why dont they extend them as far as the park and rides but I suppose bus eireann wouldnt like that!

No. On street parking is limited and it is never 'easy' to find a space on the street exactly when you want it. Nor should it be. Most multi-storey car parks never reach cpacity. North Main Street car park I suspect is rarely if ever above 40% full.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

-Toppy- wrote: »
    What I think is mad is why dont they extend them as far as the park and rides but I suppose bus eireann wouldnt like that!

Which part of my quote about the stations needing to be 400m apart did you not understand? If they put a station in at Black Ash all the bikes would disappear within 15 minutes and who would be travelling back there in the morning?

The system requires regular churning of bikes between stations, it's really not that difficult to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I dont think they could put them out at Blackash either way, it's a 2 lane road with no hard shoulder and 100km/h traffic, people would be killed! Cycling down the link with no helmet on?!

Which part of my quote about the stations needing to be 400m apart did you not understand? If they put a station in at Black Ash all the bikes would disappear within 15 minutes and who would be travelling back there in the morning?

Firstly the distance of 400m is ridiculous imho, its probably the same thinking that its not at the western gateway at ucc, or county hall

Conversely surely there are less people travelling out of town in the morning, so surely you want the bikes coming in from the outlying areas in the morning

Also on Weekends this would be a godsend for people

Dont forget phase 1 of tramore valley park is supposed to go ahead this year
    (all talk about a bespoke cycling hub etc)

So maybe not blackash but definitely that side.

Also I believe the already is a cycle lane on Kinsale road heading towards turners cross (cant remember where it exactly starts though)

you can park off the island as well, you know :)
    Sure. It's not too often I go into town, so it doesn't bother me really. I've often just taken the train in from Carrigtwohill, and cycle from there.

I was just wondering if there was stats to back up the fact that there's too many parking spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Spot the imposter

10420341_10204713298047041_1670083169742100580_n.jpg?oh=b3e827eba4e934b76d61079013255e49&oe=557E2403

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Frostybrew

There's eight multi-story car parks in Cork City centre. Nine if you include the private one next to the school of music. I've never seen any of them full. Busy yes, but not full.

Frostybrew wrote: »
    There's eight multi-story car parks in Cork City centre. Nine if you include the private one next to the school of music. I've never seen any of them full. Busy yes, but not full.
    #
    So you've tried to access Merchants Quay car park when it's full? Ok, but that doesn't mean it's never full.

I can only comment on what I've experienced. The point is, there is ample parking in Cork city centre and motorists are well catered for in this respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Spotted the van with the bikes at Dennehy's cross heading down towards Victoria on Thursday. Nearly shat myself with excitement.
    Think he was only driving out college road though

• Advertisement

Frostybrew wrote: »
    I can only comment on what I've experienced. The point is, there is ample parking in Cork city centre and motorists are well catered for in this respect.
    I would agree with ample. It can be tricky at times, but the loss of a few spaces to cater for the new bike scheme is a worthwhile benefit to the city IMO.

I would agree with ample. It can be tricky at times, but the loss of a few spaces to cater for the new bike scheme is a worthwhile benefit to the city IMO.

Very true. Remember, people jumped up and down in the 1980s when city centre streets like Winthrop Street and Paul Street were pedestrianised and spaces were removed. They were wrong. People complained about the pedestrianisation and enhancements in Patrick Street, Oliver Plunkett St, Cornmarket Street, Grand Parade. Would anyone seriously suggest reversing those changes?

Yes this scheme is a fantastic addition to the city, and hopefully will be expanded both in terms of bike and station numbers, and additional cycling infrastructure. It needs to be part of a coherent strategy, with greatly increased investment in public transport in the short to medium term.

A longer term solution should be driverless technology, in conjunction with state of the art cycling infrastructure. Ireland, and Cork in particular, could easily be at the forefront of a transport revolution if it wanted to be, with its small geographical size and relatively low population density; it would be ideal for a pilot scheme to show the world it's potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I said I was doing a mini-documentary on the Bikeshare Scheme. This is what I've come up with so far...

16549768157_3a7d3cabd5_o.jpg
    Cork Bikeshare 1 by mrendatious1, on Flickr

16755860881_bf18bbb550_o.jpg
    Cork Bikeshare 2 by mrendatious1, on Flickr

16570908049_7498d989c1_o.jpg
    Cork Bikeshare 3 by mrendatious1, on Flickr

16569632690_2a3e12799f_o.jpg
    Cork Bikeshare 4 by mrendatious1, on Flickr

16757028875_3b101bab12_o.jpg
    Cork Bikeshare 5 by mrendatious1, on Flickr

16549768717_781caccb9d_o.jpg
    Cork Bikeshare 6 by mrendatious1, on Flickr

16137086923_2cd88ecde5_o.jpg
    Cork Bikeshare 7 by mrendatious1, on Flickr

16755856471_443e6064b9_o.jpg
    Cork Bikeshare 8 by mrendatious1, on Flickr

16569458538_9bfbf0885e_o.jpg
    Cork Bikeshare 9 by mrendatious1, on Flickr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Got off a train at 10:35 last night, hopped on the bike and made my 22:45 bus from Patrick St to home. Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I said I was doing a mini-documentary on the Bikeshare Scheme. This is what I've come up with so far...

1, 6 & 8 are cool shots. Nice work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

I'm really in favour of the public bikes scheme and I'm a keen cyclist but boy do people need to be told that you can't cycle these things on the pavement.

It was ridiculous the number of people I saw cycling them on pavements this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

It doesn't help that the City Council can't seem to tell the difference between bikes and pedestrians themselves and then build bike lanes that are level with the pavement, divert cycle lanes onto the footpath and install pedestrian crossings (not Toucan Crossings) for cyclists to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

Saw the bikes up around ballintemple yesterday was nice to see. A group of French tourist youngins had rented them in town and cycled out..Must say I thought it was nice to see.

• Advertisement

Sorry haven't been on in a while.
    I don't mean have a station only in Douglas, I meant have stations all the way from the city to Douglas.

Why not buy a bike and cycle in? Well because a decent bike costs a lot of money, I would need somewhere to store it and also a lock for it. High chance of it being stolen. With the coke bikes I don't have to worry about any of those issues.

Advertisement