Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving firearms from Ireland to the USA.

Options
  • 03-07-2014 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

I had written another post about quite a different topic but I promptly found out that I had broken the charter but this I'm allowed to ask.

Does anyone have any knowledge about transporting a rifle and a shotgun to the states from Ireland? I don't have any special licenses or anything nor do I know anyone who does who could do it on my behalf? If so, is it economically feasible? Like would the cost of transporting my firearms over be more than the weapons are worth? I don't have that much of a sentimental attachment to them or anything but i've had them since I was young, so it'd be nice to get them over; Or should I just sell them here and and purchase similiar weaponry in the states with the proceeds of the sale?

PS. Mods, I have backing from a mod for this post so if you see something wrong here, PM me and I will reword it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Might get a few more answers in the shooting section, so I'll move it there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Sell and buy there.

Exporting is a difficult enough process and can be more costly than it's worth especially given the guns would bee 50% the cost of here. There is also the issue of your residency status. Most states have rules about how long you must be living there before owning a gun ranging from 6 months to possibly never being allowed. I won't comment further on that as i don't know each state's rules.

However the best advice s to sell your guns here and buy what you want there. There is a larger selection, different types that are not allowed here, and most importantly the dollar price is lower than the Euro price for the same guns. So when you take exchange rates into account you'd pay twice as much for them here as there. IOW what you make on the sales here, would buy you the same there, except brand new.

As for "special licenses". The only licenses we have are our firearm certificates/licenses. For exporting you need to download an individual export permit from the Dept. of Justice website, fill it in, declare who and where the guns are going to, and then have the necessary license or authroisation in whatever state you are living in. Add to that trying to find a courier to ship firearms, and the cost will be eye watering as so few do it they can charge that they like.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Sponge25

Damn. Sounds much easier to sell them here and maybe even put the money into a PC for the house in the states or something. I don't hunt that much anymore as i'm not home alot, so I'd probably be better of gettin' rid of them.

Any advice on sites or magazines to sell firearms in Ireland? (Mods: If this advice isn't allowed just tell me and i'll remove this line)

tbh, I have no need for a rifle or shotgun in the states as I won't be hunting there and if I ever get asked to go hunting my shooting buddy over there has a spare rifle for me.

What sorta price roughly are ya looking at to ship to firearms? I know ya don't know exactly, but some sorta idea to give me a picture?

Thanks lads.

Sponge25 wrote: »
    Any advice on sites or magazines to sell firearms in Ireland?
    There is:
    • The for sale section here
    • Drop into a dealers
    • Sell/trade privately through word of mouth.

All to license holders only, obviously.
    (Mods: If this advice isn't allowed just tell me and i'll remove this line)
    Read the rules and you'll know what is allowed or not.
    tbh, I have no need for a rifle or shotgun in the states as I won't be hunting there and if I ever get asked to go hunting my shooting buddy over there has a spare rifle for me.
    Kinda makes the argument for selling them here so.
    What sorta price roughly are ya looking at to ship to firearms?
    Average of maybe €200+. This is based on what lads i know have paid to have them shipped from the US to here. Again you are limited as most airlines will not allow firearms in any form to be shipped. So the remaining ones that will can charge what they like.

Plus if you have no need, don't have the necessary residency status to own a firearm in the US, andreally aren't that bothered i'd sell and enjoy the money.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Sponge25,
    Unless, the guns are: exotics, difficult to come by in the States, or family heirlooms, I would sell the lot. With the proceeds, I bet you will be able to buy the same firearms brand new in the States, plus a few thousand rounds.

Personally, I would determine the replacement cost in the States and sell to someone in Eire at that cost. You'll make someone very happy at no cost to you. As a matter of fact, you'll be getting a new gun and they will still be very happy.

Also, is there anyone in the family that you could gift them to? You could sell it to them for €1.

Again, as Cass stated above, sell in Eire and buy in the States. Once it is there, leave it there, no matter where "there" is.

If you care to advise: what kind of firearms are we talking about and did you bring them to Eire or were they bought at home?

• Advertisement

Cass: I have an American wife and residency status. I can and have purchased firearms in the states. Not a citizen yet though.

I bought them here, I've only ever had two guns in my life in Ireland and i've never sold one, so I don't know much about the law regarding the selling of firearms.

If I'm going to sell one, how do I ensure your mans getting licensed for it etc and do I have to inform my local AGS station that i'm selling them etc? Any thing else I should know?

FISMA: I'll pm you pics and details of them when I have some spare time this evening mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Cass wrote: »
    Again you are limited as most airlines will not allow firearms in any form to be shipped. So the remaining ones that will can charge what they like.

Cass, are you talking about most EU airlines or American? There should be no problem at all when it comes to flying an American airline. I have flown United/Continental without any hassle whatsoever. If anyone has had any problems with an American carrier, in transit between Eire and the US, please advise.

United/Continental considers cased firearm(s) as one piece of checked luggage. You can pack up to five firearms and 11lbs of ammo. If this is your second case, you will pay the standard second case charge, which I think is $100.

In Ireland, you will go through pre-clearance with TSA whose primary concern is safety. I am not sure if they will ask for paperwork. However, I always have mine in the case. However, my situation differs in that the guns are not being imported to the States.

When you land in the States, Customs may stop you for some paperwork [I forget the form number] to ensure that you didn't leave the US with a $100 firearm and bring back a $10,000 firearm. However, again, this is not your situation.
    Cass: I have an American wife and residency status. I can and have purchased firearms in the states. Not a citizen yet though.
    With your wife as a citizen, she is entitled to have firearms. However, you are importing a firearm. The cost to ship and export the firearms may exceed the price of purchasing new in the States. Also, I bet the hassle to ship and export will be far worse than the hassle of selling.

If you are flying into JFK or EWR and heading to Pa you'll probably take Rt 78W - there's a Cabelas just off the highway you know... With Pa residency the wife could buy one of these on the way home.:pac:

Just an idea!

That is the first time you mentioned that so to be safe i was working off the basis that you either:
    1. Hadn't moved
    2. Had only just moved

That being the case then selling is the really only viable option. Cost wise, sanity wise, etc.
    If I'm going to sell one, how do I ensure your mans getting licensed for it etc and do I have to inform my local AGS station that i'm selling them etc? Any thing else I should know?
    Where are your guns at the moment. If you have moved or are not in Ireland are they stored somewhere?

If not have them transported to a dealers and sell them via an RFD (registered firearm dealer). This way the RFD deals with licenses, etc.

If you have them in a safe them place an advert here with all the picture, prices, etc and finalise the deal through an RFD or when the person gets their license scan a copy for your own records and then cancel your licenses on them.

I have them in a safe in my fathers house, he takes care of them and makes sure they're safe/not stolen etc. when I'm not around. He has his own guns too so he knows what he's doing. I know about the legislation of acquiring and owning a firearm etc. I've just never sold one before so I really appreciate the info FISMA and Cass.

I'm putting up pics of them this evening or maybe tonight for anyone that's interested and i'll list the specs etc. I'm not sure how much they're worth now atm but I'll do them for a very reasonable price, especially if someone takes both of them off my hands. Also, can I sell the spare ammo along with them?

Thanks lads, yas have been great with the info.

Edit: Oh I forget to say, I'm in Ireland now and should be for a couple of months if not a little more.

• Advertisement

I'm putting up pics of them this evening or maybe tonight for anyone that's interested and i'll list the specs etc.
    Make sure you put them in the for sale section, not here, and include pictures, and a price.
    Edit: Oh I forget to say, I'm in Ireland now and should be for a couple of months if not a little more.
    Try and get them sold before heading back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Start with this lot for importing permantly into the USA.Applies to the OP situation

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/383/~/importing-inherited-or-used-firearms-%2Fguns-%2F-rifles-%2F-pistols-into-the-u.s.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/275/related/1/~/requirements-for-importing-new-or-antique-firearms%2Fammunition

Looks daunting,but in reality isnt.Unlike over here Govt officals are actually required to HELP the tax payer and get things done as quickly as possible within a set time period. In short;

You need the ATF form 6,an FFL dealer who will accept the consingement and do the paperwork in your state and clear it with US Customs who will value the guns,and of course a courier that will move them without charging an arm and a leg.uNless these guns have some serious sentimental or historical value,you would be indeed proably better off selling at best here and then tooling up over in the States.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

PM sent to you Sponge25

Advertisement